tips to get daily protein intake

Options
I am new to here and I have been doing really good with cutting out my bad stuff. But to replace the protein which I need 48 gm a day, I am struggling to find something to fullfil this. Any suggestions that can help me?

Replies

• hamilton040
    hamilton040 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in this also. Would like to hear some responses
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Oily fish.
  • HopeAnchorstheSoul
    HopeAnchorstheSoul Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Lean meats, eggs, nuts are the best sources. I eat these things a lot and I am always over on protein. You could also try a protein shake.
  • Kadesha72
    Kadesha72 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    My protein was running a little low, and I added a hard boiled egg a day, it bumped it up quite nicely.... if you like those anyway. I also added a raw egg into my green smoothies when I have those for breakfast... I know, I know, that's bad to have raw eggs...but I like it, it makes it frothy.... remember Orange Julius before they turned into sissies??? YUM
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    beans, fruits, nuts, vegetables. Pretty much anything has protein...
  • Lisha_R
    Lisha_R Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt is a yummy way to get your protein up. Quinoa is a rice/grain that has complete protien. I eat canned tuna, eggs, Chicken breast, and fish. I try and get my protein above 100/day.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    When I first started doing this I had a hard time with the protein as well. Then I brought in protein shakes which upped it. And after more and more learning, I have learned (for me anyways) it is easier for me to stick to the 6 oz of meat at dinner than the 4 oz and then cut back on the carbs instead. I have been doing this and my protein intakes have gotten a lot easier. It takes time, trial and error to develop something that works for you.

Just keep experimenting, you will find something that clicks for you.
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Eat meat. It's really easy to reach your protein goal - hell, exceed it - by eating meat.
  • kfesta52
    kfesta52 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese is great for protein, if you like it. If you like tuna salads, try this one: 1 can of canned salmon or tuna, 1/2 cup cottage cheese, several tbsp sun dried tomatoes, and lemon pepper seasoning (or change up the add-ins and seasoning as you like, sometimes I use marinated jalapenos, miracle whip, rice vinegar,etc). Disclaimer: this recipe is not great for sodium if you're concerned about that! But it is 50 to 70 grams of protein and only about 300 to 400 calories depending on the exact recipe. I keep a stack of canned salmon and tuna and a container of cottage cheese at my office and make this whenever I don't have another plan for lunch.

Another option is 0% fat greek yogurt, add a bit of honey and some granola and it's really tasty.

And finally, if you just need to add protein, period, use a protein powder (can be handy for after a workout). You can get 50+ grams in 220 or so calories, and low carb/sugar in some brands.

By the way, the MFP default protein settings are probably kind of low, maybe you could even go higher. I've been having great results shooting for at least 80 to 100 grams/day. I've read 1 gram for each pound of lean body mass (that's everything in your body except the fat)
  • fitwithwhit88
    fitwithwhit88 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Snacks I keep on hand to up my protein intake include:

- Protein powder - I add this to my oatmeal in the morning with a couple egg whites and some fruit (raspberries, strawberries, etc.)
    - Hard-boiled eggs - I add them to salads or eat them plain with some garlic salt
    - Carbmaster Yogurt - If you live near a Kroger, seriously go pick this up! Tons of protein and very few carbs/sugar! Love it plain, mixed into my oatmeal, or in a protein shake.
    - String Cheese - I buy the Fit & Active kind from Aldi, only 50 calories.
    - Cottage Cheese - I add pineapple (not in heavy syrup) to sweeten it up. Or some sugar-free vanilla pudding mix.