strength train at home; dumbbells?

Options
I don't have access to a gym and I would like to strength train. I do have 3 sets of dumbbells (3, 5, and 10lbs). Can I complete an full body routine with just dumbbells, like with squats and deadlifts? If so, what exercises would I do and how much weight would I use for each one?

Replies

• epicshapeshift
    Options
    Yes, you definitely can. There are several different types of exercises you can do with just dumbbells. For upper body you have military press, curls (standard, open-arm), shoulder flys, swimmer's press. For your back you have Lawnmower, Back flys. For lower body you have squats, lunges, calf raises (both feet or alternating with additional weight). And don't forget about things like dips or the superman exercise which don't require weight.

Note that I've really just pulled these exercises based on the program I'm currently working on which is the Power 90. But I think they'd be good for you too.

If you don't know some of the exercises I've mentioned by name, do a quick Google search on it and you should be able to find out what it is and how to do it properly.
    I also suggest you do a Google search on "exercises with dumbbells" or something along those lines to find more. Google is your friend here.

Good luck!
  • fittiephd
    fittiephd Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I agree and a quick google search will show you a ton of dumbbell routines. But you will need much heavier dumbbells soon. I personally recommend going on ebay for a set of dumbbells with adjustable plates. I got mine for 105 dollars total and each dumbbell can go up to 52.5 lbs so it'll last a while!
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    Craigslist is also a great place to find them
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Yes but you will need heavier ones. Look into the adjustable kind. I started out with Powerblock dumbbells. The kind I have are adjustable from 5-50lbs, and expandable up to 90 and to 120.

I know what you're thinking. "That's too heavy". But most untrained women are squatting upwards to 100lbs after just a few weeks of training.
  • Controversial
    Controversial Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I do have 3 sets of dumbbells (3, 5, and 10lbs). Can I complete an full body routine with just dumbbells, like with squats and deadlifts?

Yes, but you'll need a LOT more than that. Get a set of dumbbells with a variety of weight plates. I recommend keeping an eye out for used in a place like craigslist. I got a very nice set up: dumbbells, barbell, 160# in plates, and a bench with a squat rack on one end and a leg press/lat bar on the other, all with free delivery across town for $150. Of course it didn't hurt that I wore a tiny running skort and flirted with the seller, but you get the idea.
    If so, what exercises would I do and how much weight would I use for each one?

New Rules of Lifting for Women, Stronglifts, or the like.
  • notthatthis
    Options
    Or a fantastic set of high quality resistance bands will provide more options than dumbbells. High quality, not the $18 variety.
  • Halie_Bird
    Halie_Bird Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    All I have are 2 lb hand weights for use during cardio and 10 lb dumbbells to try to build some muscle. I've gotten more toned but heavier ones would be much better to actually gain more muscle.
  • epicshapeshift
    Options
    This is also rather cheap if you're on a budget. And they're adjustable so you can always buy additional plates when needed.
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Gold-s-Gym-40-lb-Adjustable-Dumbbell-Set/21672511

But as far as how much weight you should be using per the exercise, that all depends on you. You'll need to listen to your body to figure that out. Don't try to lift too heavy.
    Pick a weight and see if you can go 8-15 reps on any movement you want. If you can't, the weight is too heavy. If it feels too easy and you don't feel any sort of burn on the last few reps, the weight is too light. Adjust accordingly.
  • damiannikodem
    damiannikodem Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    have you seen

http://dumbbell-exercises.com/

but as others have said adjustable weights are the way to go.

And if you get those then its only a small step to get a long bar from kmart for about $30 (if you are in australia) which you can stick your weights onto and do other things (I find squats and deadlifts really weird to do without a bar. )
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    I do have 3 sets of dumbbells (3, 5, and 10lbs). Can I complete an full body routine with just dumbbells, like with squats and deadlifts?

Yes, but you'll need a LOT more than that. Get a set of dumbbells with a variety of weight plates. I recommend keeping an eye out for used in a place like craigslist. I got a very nice set up: dumbbells, barbell, 160# in plates, and a bench with a squat rack on one end and a leg press/lat bar on the other, all with free delivery across town for $150. Of course it didn't hurt that I wore a tiny running skort and flirted with the seller, but you get the idea.
    If so, what exercises would I do and how much weight would I use for each one?

New Rules of Lifting for Women, Stronglifts, or the like.

I've heard contrasting opinions about if you can do this at home. What do YOU think.
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
  • Dlacenere
    Dlacenere Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Yes but you will need heavier ones. Look into the adjustable kind. I started out with Powerblock dumbbells. The kind I have are adjustable from 5-50lbs, and expandable up to 90 and to 120.

I know what you're thinking. "That's too heavy". But most untrained women are squatting upwards to 100lbs after just a few weeks of training.

^^
    This
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    I'm starting to weight train at home with 5lb dumbells and finding them easier to lift now. I use fitness blender on youtube, their workouts are really helpful and I like following their moves.

I agree, heavier dumbells are a way to go. I have to buy some!
  • lma0423
    lma0423 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! I think I'm going to get some adjustable dumbbells!
  • tigerblood78
    tigerblood78 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    you might look into kettlebells if you haven't already....just a thought
  • KirstenTheFamilyCoach
    Options
    30 minutes of Jillian Michael’s 30-day Shred (level 1): http://youtu.be/ve-WiQKi_W8
    20 minutes of BIKINI BLASTER 4: Awesomesauce Arms: http://youtu.be/S3j1MGTLeFw
    20 Min. No Flab 6 Pack Abs Workout - The Best Six Pack Abs Exercises: http://youtu.be/zyl_moWJUHY
    35 minutes of Core Rhythms: http://youtu.be/lT09bryb0C4
    15 minutes Pilates Butt Workout: http://youtu.be/rYVi68QyMG8

Here's a few link to an awesome work out :wink:
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options

Thank you for this!