catch 22

Options
Things are not going as I pictured them to go. I knew it was going to be work but I knew that the band would be the right tool for me. I know that working out is important but I need my both knees replaced so, working out is extremely difficult if not impossible. Walking is very painful. I know that in order to lose weight you need to workout but I can't do that. The holiday's were very difficult though my family was helpful. I feel lost and hopeless. How do I stop the impulse eating. Would it have been easier to have the gastric bypass or just say screw it? How do I get out of this catch 22 ?

Replies

• ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Technically you don't have to work out to lose weight, you just have to change your eating habits. Take a few weeks, focus on diet and making good choices and make changes. You'll see weight starting to come off and maybe you'll feel better to exercise. Or, find a pool and try water exercises/running or swimming and that will help with the knees. You can do this. It won't be easy, but focus on diet and making healthy changes and once you start to see results you will be amazed at what you do from there.

Want to add that of course exercise has so many benefits and is important so I would say strive to be able to add exercise, but given your knee pain, you'll just have to be creative
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Technically you don't have to work out to lose weight, you just have to change your eating habits. Take a few weeks, focus on diet and making good choices and make changes. You'll see weight starting to come off and maybe you'll feel better to exercise. Or, find a pool and try water exercises/running or swimming and that will help with the knees. You can do this. It won't be easy, but focus on diet and making healthy changes and once you start to see results you will be amazed at what you do from there.

Want to add that of course exercise has so many benefits and is important so I would say strive to be able to add exercise, but given your knee pain, you'll just have to be creative

Amazing advice
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    You don't need to work out to lose weight.
  • sofielein
    sofielein Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    The problem with gastric bypass is that you lose weight so fast afterwards that everyone ends up with extreme saggy skin. Which then requires further surgery and still after all surgery it will never look toned and good...

I'd say eat calories between your BMR and TDEE and be patient. No need for workouts or any fast loss. Think of your skin!
  • Star_Basil
    Options
    Exercise doesn't have to be running on a treadmill. I learned this the hard way as I had a bad spine/back injury and was unable to walk for a while and am still experiencing pain just doing nothing. Literally, I sit/lay down and am in pain.

You just need to move and not even quickly. There are tons of moves you can do while sitting down and even on your back while you are working on losing the weight to be able to do the harder things. Here's an example of some things to try; http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/no-excuse-couch-potato-workout

Make small, attainable goals for yourself so you don't get discouraged (this was a big thing for me as my self-worth has suffered with the injury). You can do this and you can make it!