anyone have any yummy vegetarian recipes to share?

Options
i've decided to go vegetarian and only eat meat once a week i love my veggies dont get my wrong but there is only so many times a day i can eat cold veggies and dip.. so if anyone out there has any yummy low fat recipes to share feel free

any one else out there sharing the same problem?

Replies

• sharkweek
    sharkweek Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite quick, low-fat concoctions is seitan, chickpeas, and green beans cooked with spinach curry simmer sauce, served on top of a sweet potato or regular baked potato if I'm really hungry. I use 1/4 cup of Spicy Nothings sauce, 1/2 cup chickpeas, about 200g seitan, 1 cup of green beans, and occasionally some portobella mushrooms thrown in. Without the potato, it's about 350 cals and 5g of fat. Also, delicious.

I've been vegan for 2 years, vegetarian for about 8, and I struggled with cooking decent meals longer than I did with meat-free food. Now, in addition to tons of veggies, I eat pasta, stir fries, taco salads, soup, wraps, and vegan versions of just about any meal you can come up with.

I highly recommend a weekly meal plan from happyherbivore.com if you're just starting a vegetarian diet and aren't quite sure what to make. They're low-cal (I add quite a bit to them to stay around 1500-1600; they're designed for 1200 cals) and low-fat, and they include a shopping list. I got several of them when I was starting to eat more healthily and it really helped me think about how to plan my meals ahead of time.
  • Psychedelicately
    Psychedelicately Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I've discovered this soup recipe recently.. I use the recipe as a base and add a bunch more veggies to it (summer squash, celery, cauliflower) it is sooooo good. And SUPER low calorie! Less than 50 calories for a great big bowl of it. I'll make up a big batch and eat it throughout the week.

http://www.food.com/recipe/0-point-soup-ww-391705

I also eat a salad for at least one meal a day. Salads are great because you can pretty much add anything to them. Romaine, spinach leaves, mushrooms, avocado, black beans, etc. There is a good fat free italian dressing that goes well with anything, including salad with fruit like pears and apples (another fav).

I make a lot of omelets/scrambled eggs (you can do egg beaters or liquid egg whites for lower fat/calorie content) and add tomatoes, green onions, herbs, etc.

Lettuce wraps are amazing. I eat a lot of lettuce wraps and put sriracha on pretty much EVERYTHING. (even the soup)

hope these ideas help.
  • hannahsageharrison
    Options
    Good for you! I try to limit my meat intake to about that as well. Have you ever tried Indian? Baygan Bharta is vegetarian (even vegan for that matter), almost fat free, and is one the greatest things I've ever eaten. It's mostly eggplant based, with green peas, peppers, can be spicy, can be not.
    Also, when you're having a craving for some comfort food, try some mashed potatoes (light on the butter, light on the cream) with some low fat cottage cheese and chives on top. Gets rid of that craving without breaking your meat-free week!
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    484086_4817712753455_130438111_n.jpg

Cook the rice as directed (except use stock rather than water). Cook down the veggies after chopping finely until tender in some of the stock and set aside until rice is cooked. After rice is cooked at tomato sauce, can of corn and veggies and cook until hot. You can use homemade tomato sauce, which I prefer, but I did not have the $$ and I used what was in the cupboard.

65850_4817712793456_819058589_n.jpg

Soak beans in water and baking soda over night. Rinse thoroughly. simmer on stove with baking soda for 30 min, and rinse thoroughly again. Add stock and other ingredients and cook until nicely tender. Drain and keep liquid as it thickens after refrigeration and you may need to add some later. Mash with a potato masher (squiggly line type).

You can use a serving of both of these in a Smart & Delicious 100 calorie traditional tortilla with 1/8 cup of cheddar for a 300 calorie, delicious burrito.
  • Psychedelicately
    Options
    484086_4817712753455_130438111_n.jpg

Cook the rice as directed (except use stock rather than water). Cook down the veggies after chopping finely until tender in some of the stock and set aside until rice is cooked. After rice is cooked at tomato sauce, can of corn and veggies and cook until hot. You can use homemade tomato sauce, which I prefer, but I did not have the $$ and I used what was in the cupboard.

65850_4817712793456_819058589_n.jpg

Soak beans in water and baking soda over night. Rinse thoroughly. simmer on stove with baking soda for 30 min, and rinse thoroughly again. Add stock and other ingredients and cook until nicely tender. Drain and keep liquid as it thickens after refrigeration and you may need to add some later. Mash with a potato masher (squiggly line type).

You can use a serving of both of these in a Smart & Delicious 100 calorie traditional tortilla with 1/8 cup of cheddar for a 300 calorie, delicious burrito.

Awesome! Definitely going to try these!
  • crystalrose1234
    Options
    wow thanks for the awesome tip ill check out the site tonight!! yeah im just starting my veggitarian diet but i've been an off again on again veggie for years
  • envy09
    envy09 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    If you eat meat once a week, you're not a vegetarian.
  • crystalrose1234
    Options
    @hannahsagehar i LURVE!! indian food!! so does my british boyfriend lol

so no problem there thanks for the recipe idea
  • crystalrose1234
    Options
    semantics!! if you drink milk your not a veggie either so what?!
  • envy09
    Options
    Words mean things. Also, you would still be a vegetarian if you drank milk. They even have a word for it: Lacto Vegetarianism.
  • Psychedelicately
    Options
    If you eat meat once a week, you're not a vegetarian.

Who cares. She wants to eat more veggies, let her call it whatever she wants. If you don't have ideas for her then why even comment?
  • envy09
    Options
    Because someone was wrong on the internet!
  • rkray3
    rkray3 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I've been vegetarian for about three months and have tried tons of new recipes - here are my favorites:

Curried Chickpeas and Kale
    http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2012/06/curried-chickpeas-and-kale.html
    I used spinach instead of kale, was still delicious!

Black Bean Roasted Zucchini Goat Cheese Enchiladas
    http://www.preventionrd.com/2012/12/meatless-monday-black-bean-roasted-zucchini-goat-cheese-enchiladas-weekly-menu/
    The amount of goat cheese used is pretty minimal, so these are not too bad calorie-wise.

Spicy African Peanut Stew
    http://www.recipage.com/recipe.php?ri=6000512
    My FAVORITE. So full of flavor. I made on the stove, though, instead of the crockpot.
  • Psychedelicately
    Options
    Because someone was wrong on the internet!

Haha, fair enough.
  • Psychedelicately
    Options
    I've been vegetarian for about three months and have tried tons of new recipes - here are my favorites:

Curried Chickpeas and Kale
    http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2012/06/curried-chickpeas-and-kale.html
    I used spinach instead of kale, was still delicious!

Black Bean Roasted Zucchini Goat Cheese Enchiladas
    http://www.preventionrd.com/2012/12/meatless-monday-black-bean-roasted-zucchini-goat-cheese-enchiladas-weekly-menu/
    The amount of goat cheese used is pretty minimal, so these are not too bad calorie-wise.

Spicy African Peanut Stew
    http://www.recipage.com/recipe.php?ri=6000512
    My FAVORITE. So full of flavor. I made on the stove, though, instead of the crockpot.

The zucchini enchiladas sound amazing.
  • rkray3
    rkray3 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    They are really, really good!
  • CharityGC
    CharityGC Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Quinoa black bean burrito bowl. One of those meals I've served my husband without telling him it didn't have meat and he never realized.

http://theshiksa.com/2012/05/01/quinoa-black-bean-burrito-bowls/

Also, quinoa fried "rice." I like to make that when I have leftover quinoa in the fridge and a bag of frozen mixed veggies.