New and clueless

Options
Hello all. I randomly stumbled upon this site and not sure how it works. I have been struggling with my weight for a couple years now and I am the heaviest I have ever been (which really does a number on your self-esteem). I am looking for all the support and motivation I can get. I just signed up for a free week pass to a local gym and I hope I make it there. This will be about the 4th time I have tried this but never went. I am planning on going tomorrow.

I am completely clueless on how to eat healthy or even what to eat since there are so many different diets out there I don't know where to start.

Any suggestions, comments, or words of wisdom/support I would really appreciate. Maybe being on this site will help me be accountable.

Replies

• karakreature
    karakreature Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I'll do what I can to help encourage you. I don't look at this as a diet. You have to change your eating habits for life. That's not saying you have to eat all healthy every meal forever, but saying most of your meals should consist of things that are healthy. Obviously limit your fast foods and sweets. Try to find meats that are low in fat. Lots of veggies and fruits (trying to work on my fruit intake myself) good carbs with lots of whole grains, that sorta thing. Good luck!
  • lestabeads
    Options
    :smile: Hello, having some friends (and they can be on here, not real face-to-face friends) who are joining you in the journey, is one of the most powerful tools to help us stay committed and motivated. Personally I don't want to move up a size in clothes, and unless I get into it NOW!!!!!!!! that will be the case. Good luck and stay in touch! Its worth it.
  • mrsjas2000
    mrsjas2000 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome to you this isn't a diet because you can eat basicly anything within reason and keeping track really helps I know it has helped me and I have only been on since the beginning of Jan. The help and support on her is fantastic. You can add me if you like for this journey
  • Amber1070
    Amber1070 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I've been on here for awhile and just recently lost 30 lbs. I'll be happy to help.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Two rules:
    Eat better stuff
    Stay under your calorie goal. That will get you started. You can tweek it as you go along, but for now, start small.
  • akaMrsmojo
    akaMrsmojo Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    And please eat your calories, you will not be successful starving yourself. Follow MFP guidelines and it creates a deficit. Never eat under 1200 calories a day. And most of all be patient. It takes time, this is a marathon not a sprint. You got this.

Good luck.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Spend some time looking in the Food tab... look up foods you like and try adding them to your diary to see how many calories they have. Just play with it. Here are my suggestions, for what they're worth:

Don't try to lose too quickly. If you want to lose 2 lbs/week, know that your body will have to cope with a huge daily caloric deficit. That isn't feasible for everyone and it can be super mentally challenging. If you aim for a more moderate goal of 1 lb or even 1/2 a pound per week, you'll be way more likely to manage at first. If you want to go faster once you've got the hang of it, go for it.

Don't worry about anything other than meeting your daily calorie target for the first week. If you want, or if you're active already, you can exercise and add it to your log. When you do, it will give you more to eat. Don't be afraid to eat those extra calories. Your caloric deficit will still be there because My Fitness Pal is set up to allow you to lose even if you don't exercise.

Over time, try adding more daily goals:

Drink lots of water
    Eat 5-10 servings of vegetables and fruits
    Aim for protein at every meal/snack
    Aim for high fiber foods wherever possible

Oh, and my advice is don't eat fat-free/sugar-free/carb-free non-foods. They're not helpful. Fat keeps you feeling full. Sugar gives you energy. Real food is better for your body than diet food.

Wishing you all the best on this journey! You can do it.
  • linz1125
    linz1125 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Welcome, so glad you found us! For starters, don't think of it as a diet...maybe start the first few days seeing how many calories you actually eat so that when you st a goal you know if it will just be a small change here and there or changing a lot. Then start adding more veggies into your diet. Then move more. Pretty soon you will see the scale move in the right direction.