Need exercise suggestions

barbola
barbola Posts: 5
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
I have to be able to do pushups, situps and 300 meter run, by August. I have been walking with light jogs (moving slow in this due to shin splints) and it is getting better but i still get winded. I am also doing other cardio as well as working with weights on my legs, arms, chest and shoulders, is it even possible for someone who is 53 yoa, needing to loose 40 lbs, to accomplish this, I need to make qualifications to go to the academy so I can get more pay.

Replies

• You can do it....

I ran a spring triathalon when i turned 50...I only had 3 months to train. Just break down your requirements into little goals.

When you have a goal like this, take the time to think it through and focus on how you want to accomplish your goal....Use good self-talk to keep yourself motivated....my phrase was "it's dooable" everytime I tried something and felt like I was progressing.

For pushups, if you cant do full body, do the modified version on your knees first, try some and see what you can do., then start doing some strength training with weights and do your pushups again after about a week and notice the difference. Situps...use a jillian michaels video for situps hers are good. For running, slow down, if you have shin splints it was too much too fast. Start out with a walk, and then quicken your pace after about a week. Get some good music on headphones something with a good beat...it helps to get you moving.

Note: before you do any of this always warm up and cool down to get your muscles ready...if they are cold they will not perform well.

Remember: It's Dooable
  • barbola
    barbola Posts: 5
    Thank you for the great information, you are right I really need to focus on how to accomplish my goals, sometimes I get impatient and want results immediately,
This discussion has been closed.