Banana Ice Cream!

kirstinlee
kirstinlee Posts: 152 Member
If you have a sweet tooth like me, and you're not allergic to bananas, try these recipes. I'm not a banana person (I only like them green, and even then they're not my favorite), so if you don't mind the slight taste of them, you should be good.

Banana Ice Cream
1. Slice a banana, put the slices in a ziploc bag, and freeze them until solid -- about two hours.
2. Place them in a food processor or blender -- when blended, this will be your "vanilla" ice cream base. Like I said, it has a slight banana taste to it (for some reason, the flavor dissipates in the freezer) so if you like it, you can keep it plain. If you don't, you can add basically anything to it.
Some ideas: cocoa powder, all natural peanut butter, dark chocolate chips, cherries, berries, strawberries, instant coffee mix, ground flaxseed, chia seed... the list goes on and on. If you're feeling really adventurous, you can add extracts; be careful, however, if you're not used to using them -- a little goes a LONG way.
4. If you have a blender/processor with different speeds, you can get a "swirl" of nut butters or other creamy goodies by adding another scoop after everything is blended well by running it on the lowest setting for a second at a time (or a pulse,depending on the speed.)
3. After scooping it out of the blender/processor, you can eat it right away for a soft-serve texture, or freeze it again for a more solid texture.

Ice Cream Sandwiches

1. Slice a banana and place it in a blender/processor, along with all-natural peanut butter and cocoa powder -- experiment with your own taste in this. I would give you a basic ratio, but I like raw cocoa powder, soooo.... :tongue: Ground flax works well here if you want a thicker texture. You can leave out one add-in or the other,or both if you want just banana. Blend until smooth.
2.Spoon onto square or mini-rectangle graham crackers, top with other crackers.
3. Place into tub or bag, and freeze.

I'm actually about to go whip up both of these right now.
Enjoy! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Sounds delicious!
  • DucklingtoSwan
    DucklingtoSwan Posts: 169 Member
    I happen to love frozen bananas anyway, what great ideas to dress 'em up, thanks! :-)
  • CharityGC
    CharityGC Posts: 499 Member
    I've made that before and I'm not even a huge banana fan but it was good.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    I am trying to convince my partner to get a Yonanas machine because frankly, I find using the blender too much work.
  • kirstinlee
    I am trying to convince my partner to get a Yonanas machine because frankly, I find using the blender too much work.
    What exactly is a Yonanas machine? I've heard the name and get promotional stickers on my bananas occasionally, but I don't know a whole lot about them.
  • kenna44cat
    kenna44cat Posts: 105 Member
    I love bananas, always have from a baby when I used to jump up and down in my carriage for them, according to my mother.

Thanks for this, I'll be sure to try it. I'm thinking that over ripe bananas would work well in the freezer, has anyone tried them?
  • kirstinlee
    I love bananas, always have from a baby when I used to jump up and down in my carriage for them, according to my mother.

Thanks for this, I'll be sure to try it. I'm thinking that over ripe bananas would work well in the freezer, has anyone tried them?
    Brown-spotted bananas are actually what's recommended for these recipes, although I've had no problem with green and just-yellow. I think it's merely a matter of flavor preference. :smile:
  • I did this a couple of weeks ago, and added some dark chocolate and a couple spoonfuls of fat free whip topping before putting in the food processor even my five year old loved it, and kept saying yummy ice cream! It's best when the the bananas are getting brown.
  • lesdeb
    lesdeb Posts: 2 Member
    My friend has the Yonanas machine, but I find my food processor works just as well. I just started making this, and LOVE it. My kids devour it also. Try adding sweet dark cherries (Costco). Amazing !!!!
  • Loved1s
    Loved1s Posts: 33 Member
    Can't wait to try this!!!
  • As soon as I get my hands on some bananas, I'm doing this! :bigsmile: