70 lbs gone, 38 more to go. (With pics)

Options
First, let me introduce myself. I'm Terry from Spokane, WA, 52 years old, 5'4', mother of 3 grown children. I've been overweight most of my life, though not into the obese BMI category until I went on meds for Bipolar Disorder 8 years ago, and then quit smoking. After that I just ballooned. At 252 lbs I got a wake-up call -- I'd developed Type II diabetes. I dove straight into a 600 calorie crash diet and managed to lose 40 lbs quite quickly. But then my psych meds got changed (again) and I promptly gained all but 15 of it back.

On April 26 I weight 234 lbs. I didn't think I looked too bad until I saw this picture:

8390857815_3811f87b1d_n.jpg

That's when I discovered MFP. My daughter told me about the app for my smart phone so I installed it and started tracking the next day. For me it's a constant battle to eat enough -- the further I cut back my calories the less hunger I feel,. It becomes a competition to see how low I can force my intake and still function. Not healthy, I know, but the challenge is addictive. Then during the summer months my husband and I got very involved in road cycling, doing some of the great trails in the area. As my endurance built up I found it easy to shoot for a net calories of 0. As you can imagine, after a couple of weeks of fabulous loses my body tanked into starvation mode to where if I splurged on a 400 calorie dinner with a few carbs I gain 2 lbs overnight. I'm still trying to fight my way back out of this. But amidst all this struggle my dr. was thrilled with the rapid progress and told me to stay under 800 calories a day with less than 50 gms of carbs. At the same time he told me that my blood sugar was now perfect, as well as my cholesterol and triglycerides, so I got to toss all those meds. That was Dec. 16 and my weight was 183. I took Thanksgiving to New Years off, but only gained 3 lbs which I have since lost. I'm trying to use this little vacation to reset my metabolism. So far it's sluggish, but moving in the right direction.

Now for the pics. Please bear in mind this is "in progress," not the end game.

This is me at 183. 8391942054_c6515b11ea_n.jpg8394448028_512d19a088.jpg
From this one you can see my Upside down V shape. No matter how much I lose, the boobs remain.

The basic stats:
BW: 252 lbs
SW: 234 lbs
CW:183 lb
Stage 1 goal weight: 160 lbs.
Final GW: 145 lbs.

Replies

• Chibea
    Chibea Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Wonderful!!! Very inspiring. You are looking great, boobs and all.
  • teaspoon43
    teaspoon43 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    you look great! keep up the excellent work
  • brigett1971
    brigett1971 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Wow. You look good. Inspiring!!!
  • cardio_fiend
    Options
    You look really good, Terry! Keep up the good work:-)
  • Finally22
    Finally22 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Good for you!!!!
  • AshDawn34
    Options
    Great work.. Good luck on the rest!! :)
  • HealthyLifestyleG525
    Options
    Love the outfit with the boots!! You look great!! Good job!
  • ravenchick
    ravenchick Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Wonderful job! Congratulations. :flowerforyou:
  • jnrinwa
    jnrinwa Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Great job! You are looking great!! Side note: I live in Spokane too! :)
  • sozisfitnow
    sozisfitnow Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Your doing fantastic and the exercise means you have a new lifestyle and will keep the weight off.:flowerforyou:
    Wellcome to the boob club lol can sympathise with you!
  • Terrykanago
    Terrykanago Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    jnrinwa, do you mind if I friend you? It would be nice have someone local to follow!
  • MindyG150
    MindyG150 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    WTG! Good for you!
  • LouMonoLou
    Options
    Wow! That's something my mother needs to see. She thinks it's impossible to lose weight after 40. You're an inspiration for me and I hope for my mother too! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Well, you look great and I wish you success with the rest of your fitness/health goals. I can't say that I understand a doctor recommending 800 calories/day unless you had gastric bypass or something. Personally, I'd get a 2nd opinion but I'm speaking as someone who has spent the last few years eating 400-800 calories/day and then binging every few days, so there's just no way for me to rationalize that number.
  • PetitPomme
    Options
    Congrats!
  • sistatv
    sistatv Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I'm happy that your are working on improving your life. Your progress is amazing... Congrats!!! But I must admit your Doctor encouraged 800 calories a day is very very scary. I have my fingers crossed that this was a typo....

If not, please consider a more healthy diet that will match and support your new healthy lifestyle change. 800 calories is just not enough. Please concentrate on doing something that you and your body can do long term... I wish you the best!
  • CarmenSandiegoInVA
    CarmenSandiegoInVA Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Keep working at it and your metabolism will get to where it needs to be. yOu have done a great job at dropping the weight so far. Keep it. up.
  • tutti777
    Options
    Wow! You look great! Thank you for sharing your story. Here I struggle to lose 35-40 lbs, which feels overwhelming. Thanks for the inspiration.
  • Spurrowell
    Options
    Good job!. I like to see stories like this. and what is wrong with keeping your boobs?. Great job Keep up the good work and keep us posted. Thanks
  • GreenEydGemini
    Options
    Great job!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!