How to calculated calories burned with strength training...

Options
Does anyone know how to make this work? I can't seem to find a place to add in lifting weights in such a way that it calculates calories burned. Any tips would be awesome! Thanks!

Replies

• nitag
    nitag Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    You have to search it under cardio, strength training. I have it, I don't know how accurate it is.. but something is better than nothing..
  • Hermit4Hire
    Hermit4Hire Posts: 197
    Options
    search under cardio for "strength training" and then there are some options for weight lifting
  • twilight1542
    Options
    The only real way to do it is with a heart rate monitor (hrm). That's because, depending on what you're doing for strength training, your heart rate can vary greatly making estimates really unrealiable. As an example I did 16 mins of strength one day and burned 84 cals, another day 18 minutes/116 cals, another day 34 mins/128 cals, another day 31 mins/149 cals, and today 20 mins/140 cals. You see what I mean? And while I do vary up a lot between machines, free weights, abs on the bench vs a ball, etc. there doesn't seem to be any obvious pattern to my burn amount during a given session.....Heck, on the day I only burned 84 cals I was sweatin and felt the burn more than today when I burned more calories per minute. So if you really want those calories then invest in a hrm with a chest strap. I got mine last summer and it's the best investment I've ever made : )
  • imagymrat
    imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    The only real way to do it is with a heart rate monitor (hrm). That's because, depending on what you're doing for strength training, your heart rate can vary greatly making estimates really unrealiable. As an example I did 16 mins of strength one day and burned 84 cals, another day 18 minutes/116 cals, another day 34 mins/128 cals, another day 31 mins/149 cals, and today 20 mins/140 cals. You see what I mean? And while I do vary up a lot between machines, free weights, abs on the bench vs a ball, etc. there doesn't seem to be any obvious pattern to my burn amount during a given session.....Heck, on the day I only burned 84 cals I was sweatin and felt the burn more than today when I burned more calories per minute. So if you really want those calories then invest in a hrm with a chest strap. I got mine last summer and it's the best investment I've ever made : )

That's great advice, there is no way that you can enter a generic number off a site like this nd it be even remotely close to your actual burn. If you don't have a HRM, I would still log the exercise and whatever random number it gives you, but I would definitely not eat back those calories because you just can't be sure they are accurate. just consider then bonus for now..my two cents!
  • aareeyesee
    aareeyesee Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    In absence of a HRM as well as the fact alot of posts on here have talked about HRMs not being very effective for weight training calories burned i just use

Total Calories Burned = Duration in Minutes x ((MET x 3.5 x your weight in kg)/200)

the METS charts are available online but weight training is listed as 3 for light effort, 5.5 for moderate, 7 for heavy, and 8 for circuit training. I just built a excel spreadsheet and I put in the minutes and it tells me and I pick the appropriate number. Its not perfect but none of this is. Even with a HRM you are 15-40% wrong according to which HRM and studies you look at. Add to that the policy nutritionists say that most peoples diet logs are 30-60% low and EPOC from interval training and all any of us are doing is herding cats. As long as your still losing weight run with it is what i say.
  • alissab1113
    Options
    Does anyone know how to make this work? I can't seem to find a place to add in lifting weights in such a way that it calculates calories burned. Any tips would be awesome! Thanks!

I have the same problem with some of the stuff I do. But I have a heart rate monitor by Polar and I think thats the most accurate you can get. I'm trying to figure out how many caories I burn In hot Bikram yoga for 90 min. Im on my way there now and Im going to wear my heart rate mon. to see what it says. Also if you put it Circuit training it will come up, I've done that before. Good luck, Alissa
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    Well if aareeyesee is right, then I burned almost twice as many calories for my 35 minutes strength training than what MFP calculated lol
    35 minutes according to MFP= 135 calories
    current weight 172.4 lbs=78.199 Kg
    35*((5.5*3.5*78.199)/200))=263.43 calories

Honestly I can see keeping the figure conservative, though I definitely appreciate the equation