Lost 100lbs, Help Needed deciding game plan ahead

Options
Hi all,

I have managed to drop 110 pounds over the course of the last year through the amazing support of Myfitness Pal and it's forum and the members. I started of at 260 lbs with close to 40% body fat and now through estimates based on body size, BIA my body fat is 20%. I am confused and alarmed at the amount of Muscle loss I have had along the way close to 60 lbs (an estimate based on online calculators). I have kept a high protein diet consuming 1500 Calories on my workout days with net calories being 800 and 1200 on rest days. Midway I started strength training too.

Now the big question is moving forward how should I proceed . I would like to reach 16% BF but don't know what body weight target to set and whether to continue with a High cardio, moderate resistance training workout.

Please feel free to chime in :)

Replies

• akshil
    akshil Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    bump
  • badmojo108
    Options
    If I was in your shoes, I would keep your caloric intake the same on rest days, 800-1200 sounds a bit low. Rest days are really recovery days, you want you body to have to calories and nutrients to repair the muscles you damaged while working out. You get stronger on rest/recovery days.

I'd also use high resistance training. From my understanding the point of weight training on a caloric deficit is to convince your body you NEED the muscle you currently have and that it should burn fat instead. If you aren't weight training heavy, your body is going to use what ever resource (fat or muscle) that is easiest to break down into energy. When you are really overweight that's usually fat, but as you get leaner, muscle can be the more attractive choice for your body. Which might be why you lost so much muscle.

As far as continuing your weight loss routine, I would keep going and drop your body fat to your goal of 16% before you start trying to bulk up and put muscle on. In order to bulk up you are going to need to increase your calories to above maintenance levels and in addition to adding you muscle you are going to add fat too. So if 20% is your upper limit on the body fat you are happy with, I would definitely cut more before starting to try and bulk up.

That's all my opinion based on what I have done and read. Hopefully someone else will chime in as well.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    You probably didn't get much of a response because you technically haven't asked a question. Make it easy on us by asking for specific advice next time You presented a plan of action that is completely wrong for your stated goals. Some of the things you plan to do are probably the reasons you lost so much LBM during your (remarkable) weight loss. Here's what I suggest

1. Your calorie goal is insanely low. You weigh what, 150 lbs or so? Now that you are trying go gain back some muscle mass, netting 1000 calories is.......a bad idea. I'd rather see you net 2200-2500, but it might be hard mentally to hit that number right away. Can you give me 1800? PLUS add more for your workout calories. As you get used to eating more I'd like to see your nets begin with a 2.

2. Cut way back on the cardio. Honestly, you can drop it altogether at this point. Cardio isn't going to help you gain LBM, and your high cardio plan is going to limit any possible gains. Once per week if you have to, but I recommend dropping it completely for at least 3 months.

3. Moderate resistance my azz. You need heavy resistance and a serious lifting routine. You want muscle mass? Well this is how the sausage gets made. A serious whole body strength training program is should be your plan A, your plan B, and your plan C right now. Find a 3 day, whole body beginner's routine and stick to it.

Last thing. I have no idea what bodyweight you should target. But keep in mind that your target of 16 percent is a PERCENTAGE. So you don't have to actually lose any fat to hit that number. If your actually amount of bodyfat remains the same, but you increase your LBM by 10 lbs, your bodyfat % has become lower. And you'll look a lot better, trust me.

TL;DR version: Eat more, run less, lift Lift LIFT
  • akshil
    akshil Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the response