Conflicting info

Options
Hey everyone! I need some advice. A couple years ago I did weight watchers and lost 40 pounds. I recently went back to lose the 15 I gained back. I have been tracking my food with both weight watchers and mfp. Although I am keeping within my points from weight watchers, mfp is telling me I am eating too little! I don't know what to listen to. For anyone who knows about weight watchers you get a daily pts allowance plus an extra weekly allowance as well as extra points or activities. I have only been eating my daily points.. I may possibly be eating too little but I am afraid if that is not the case and I eat more, I will gain. Any advice?

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    MFP gives you that warning if the net amount of food you eat is below 1200 calories. 1200 has been determined (by someone, i have no idea who) as the lowest amount of calories women can eat and still get the necessary nutrients they need.

weight watches doesn't go by calories but by points, so you are essentially comparing apples and donuts and expecting them to be the same.. they arent.

for most people 1200 is already too low since it's much less than their BMR, which is the amount of calories you'd burn if you were in a coma.
  • Werglum
    Werglum Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    When I used to double track I found that my daily points only added up to around 1,000 or 1,100 calories per day. Once I added on the calories for fruit and veg (which are point free) my calories worked out at about right for me (I was on 29 points per day and 1.540 calories). Maybe you need to eat more fruit and veg?!? You'll still be meeting your points, but upping your calories.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! I need some advice. A couple years ago I did weight watchers and lost 40 pounds. I recently went back to lose the 15 I gained back. I have been tracking my food with both weight watchers and mfp. Although I am keeping within my points from weight watchers, mfp is telling me I am eating too little! I don't know what to listen to. For anyone who knows about weight watchers you get a daily pts allowance plus an extra weekly allowance as well as extra points or activities. I have only been eating my daily points.. I may possibly be eating too little but I am afraid if that is not the case and I eat more, I will gain. Any advice?

Are you exercising but not eating any of the extra points? If so you are not following Weight Watchers you are making up your own rules. So both systems will tell you that you are eating too little. And by the look of another thread you are not recovering, read up on on overreaching, overtraining syndrome and adrenal fatigue.

Food is fuel not the enemy, neither MFP nor WW are supposed to trump healthy eating, you are still supposed to eat enough overall calories, enough from every food group to get a balance of all the nutrients your body needs for health and recovery after exercise. A regular fitness regime can easily double your requirement of all nutrients. Ask yourself if you want to lose bodyfat or weight at any cost, even if that is water and muscle tissue.
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Your diary's not open to the public so I'm not even going to attempt to guess whether your eating enough or not, but one thing I have to say is that message about not eating enough from MFP is there way of legally covering their *kitten* from lawsuits.
  • mandie919
    mandie919 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    When I did WW the first time I never ate my weekly points allowance or my active points and still lost the weight. I asked my group leader about it and she said it varies per person. Maybe I need to start eating them back, is that what you are recommending? Are you also recommending I take a day off from exercising or just not do both Turbo Fire and running?