Who is vegan or is interested in becoming vegan?

Options
Hi all, i have been vegan for a year and would like to find other vegans out there who would like to connect! Please add me and comment below on your experience with being or becoming vegan. thanks and God bless!

Replies

• StevenDial
    StevenDial Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    My wife and I just started eating vegan on January 1st. We love how much better we feel already and we are still in the transition stage as we eat through the non-vegan food in our pantry. Out of 15 days I have only made 1 dinner that no one liked (I couldn't even eat it) I thought it would be much more difficult but it really hasn't been tough with a little planning before going to the store. Since I am new at this I can use all the feedback I can get :)
  • jjrichard83
    jjrichard83 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Yes. I have done all the research from both sides. I am not hardcore vegan- in fact I would prefer to call myself a "plant based eater" since I do still consume honey and the occasional meat product. I would say 98% of my meals are vegan, and I have noticed a huge difference.
  • KellyAthleticsLLC
    KellyAthleticsLLC Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Wow i am impressed with both of you! I love helping out the converts or people who are interested in making healthier changes in their lives. Please feel free to ask me any questions I have been vegan for about a year and will never go back! Steven - i am pretty sure i am in one of your facebook groups in Chandler? i just went on there and added you as a friend. there are some pretty good vegan restaurants in the valley.
  • KellyAthleticsLLC
    KellyAthleticsLLC Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Anyone else on this site vegan/vegetarian?! come on you know you are a closet veg! :)
  • kingofcrunk
    kingofcrunk Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of veganism because I'm a huge fan of animals and I do think it is morally wrong to eat them and use them for ourselves. However, I wouldn't even know where to begin with a vegan diet and I don't think with my current knowledge of it that I'd be able to eat a healthy and balanced diet. I wouldn't want to make myself ill because I didn't know what I should be eating. I suppose I'd need to do a lot of research into it but its quite daunting!
  • Emilina79
    Emilina79 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hi all,
    I am also interested in becoming a vegan. First a little history over my eating habbits which are the only thing holding me back.

I am 33 years old and live in the East Midlands in England. I have been vegetarian since I was 13. I stopped this for 2 years when I was 20 and then went back but wasn't a strict Vego after that. By this I mean I would eat harribo, have gravy which had animal ingredients and would wear leather.
    About a year and a half ago, I started to eat fish sporadically but mainly follow a vego diet and don't have the harribo or gravy etc. I wouldn't say I consume a lot of eggs or cheese or honey but I do like them and I cannot stand milk unless it is disguised by espresso or such. The main issue is that I do tend to consume a lot of junk food out of laziness/convenience.

I tried a RAW vegan diet last year and was intending to trial it throughout lent, and I found that my skin, energy, sleep issues and focus were much improved. However, I only made it 16 days as it was limiting in social situations and found that I got talked around by friends "concerned " about my weight dropping and health issues-I had a bad cold & they were convinced it was due to my limiting diet. Because I wasn't prepared I couldn't stand up for myself or counter argue this and so I gave in and whats more I then overindulged on all junk foods and am worried that this may happen again.

I think I could do this with some support, its a very hard thing to do on your own and when so many people think its their business to tell you how you shouldn't eat this way-when their own diets have a lot to be desired.

Please feel free to add me, I hope that you have a successful transition to this lifestyle:-)
  • joolzylizzie
    joolzylizzie Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I'm vegan, or more accurately, a vegetarian who also doesn't eat dairy or egg products.

Like most teenage girls, I'd been veggie on and off since my school days because of animal rights issues. It was around 2005 that I decided I was going to be a full time veggie. I always suffered with low energy/disrupted sleep/stomach & digestive issues, and tried all sorts of things - wheat free, gluten free, whatever was in 'fashion'. I have a friend who is severely intolerant to dairy and other food additives so is strictly vegan, and when I stayed with her for a weekend and ate the kind of things she ate, I realised that in the space of just a few days I was feeling much better.

I trialled it at home for two weeks and the difference was amazing, not to mention I was losing weight into the bargain. I'm 32 now, and I've been a dairy-free veggie ever since. I use the term vegan for ease, although I have no problem with eating honey as that doesn't seem to affect me. I only had a small blip in 2007 when I was ill, and concerned and well meaning friends thought they were helping by giving me cream of chicken soup, and then when I was a little better, veggie food that had cheese in it.

It's hard because people seem to assume that when you're vegan, you live on salad leaves & fruit so must be skinny. I've been vegan long enough now though that I know all the vegan-friendly junk food that is available, and that's been my downfall. Hobnob, anyone?!
  • notarini
    Options
    Hi,

Just wanted to offer up a few resources that might be helpful for those of you trying to transition to eating vegan.

Let me first say that I think it's really important to not beat yourself up as you go through the transition. Just think that any change you can make toward a more plant based diet is an improvement over where you were before. You will have good days and bad days, but as long as you keep trying it's all good.

I have found that it helps to start with small changes, easy replacements that eventually become habit and you don't miss what you used to eat. For example, replace your cow's milks with almond milk or soy milk or whatever one tastes best to you. Get used to that and then continue to seek out great replacements for the foods you love.

I wanted to pass along a great resource in case you haven't heard of it or tried it. It's called the 21 day vegan kickstart. It's great at giving you some structure and teaching you about making that transition. The other good thing, is it focuses on being a healthy vegan. Sometimes it's way too easy to eat vegan junk food just because it's vegan. Here's the website: http://www.pcrm.org/health/diets/kickstart/kickstart-programs

Also, there is another great recipe website that is connected to the kickstart but it's fantastic on it's own. They have tons of great recipes and search tools to help generate ideas for you. Check it out if you get a chance! http://www.nutritionmd.org/index.html

Hope these are helpful links. Keep up the great work!
  • Meganalva
    Meganalva Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Hi :) I'm vegetarian...or I guess I could say I don't eat meat. I do consume eggs & other animal products although I try to limit milk based cheese & milk. I used to be a HUGE cheese person but now I try to skip adding it to sandwiches or eating string cheese & such. I also no longer drink any cows milk, only almond milk. I've been vegetarian since March of 2012 and plan to stay this way. The eggs that I eat are from local chickens that are treated well and free range. I was strictly vegan for awhile but it is very difficult to maintain as I'm also a single mother & work full-time. It was stressing me out trying to watch everything I ate and cook everything at home. I've learned a ton tho and like I said, I still try to eat as vegan as I can when it comes to milk & cheese. When vegan, i also had a HUGE problem resisting chocolate. The dark choc could only satisfy me somewhat, I kept craving Reese cups & 3 Musketeers :P Maybe I'll go back to strictly vegan one day, but it's too difficult for me right now. :)
  • JKE6428
    JKE6428 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking about becoming vegan, or at least half vegan. I like the idea of changing one habit at a time!!!!!
  • AdrienneA_B
    AdrienneA_B Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm Vegan and can chat with you =)
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,799 Member
    Options
    im a vegetarian, and would like to move closer to becoming vegan, I dont often eat eggs, I dont drink cow milk, but I do love cheese :ohwell:
  • musclevegan
    Options
    Vegan since Sept. 2012, so I'm still pretty gung ho.
  • spozzybear
    spozzybear Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I'm' not vegan, but as of Jan 1st, my husband I have made massive changes to our diet.
    We used to have red meat 3-4 times a week minimum, and chicken the rest of the time. A meal wasn't a meal without some kind of meat.
    We now eat red meat once a week, and the rest of the week we have lentils, eggs, vegetables and seafood.

I realise this doesn't qualify as vegan or even vegetarian, but compared to how we were eating, it's still a huge change, and we both feel so much better for it!
  • steffmcshane
    Options
    Hey I am vegetarian although i eat vegan 99% of the time! I also live a vegan lifestyle with no leather, cosmetics etc with animal products. I love it and have never been healthier! Well other than not making up for vitamin b12 so i now get shots for this!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I will never be interested in that. I just fluctuate between meat eater and vegetarian and now I found out semivegetarian is a thing so that's my swing zone.
  • steffmcshane
    Options
    <<<<used to be the biggest cheese lover ever! Honestly ate cheese everyday. It was organic, however thats still not good for you!
  • LaNetsah
    LaNetsah Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Vegan for a year and a half and planning to continue for life! The best decision I have ever made!

For those thinking of being vegan, the easiest way is to educate yourself. Here's a good place to start:

http://youtu.be/es6U00LMmC4

and:

http://youtu.be/_eQHF0laR4A

Enjoy! And good luck! :D
  • zipora21
    zipora21 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    My Mom has been a Vegan since she was 13. Never put her beliefs on me. When I was 24 she gave me a book called "Skinny *****" I read it in one night and I never went back to eating Meat of any kind and I never will.

I think being Vegan not only is the Healthiest way to live, it also opens your world to have compassion for everything around you.

I cringe and roll my eyes when I see people promote or lecture how they get their Protein from Dairy and Meat. It's disgusting.

I can never think of having Dairy especially knowing what the poor Animals go through. The images and torture, rape and murder reminds me anything with Dairy or Meat or Animal Ingredients is just that, especially Animal Testing.
  • LittleMissPiggy92
    LittleMissPiggy92 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have been a vegetarian since I was 10. Right now I don't eat eggs either. I would love to become a full vegan, but I don't know if I could do it. I like cheese to much! I would love vegan friends to help me, because I know it would be good for me.