Night shift schedule.

Options
Hello everyone,

I work nights, and I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on the best snack to eat before going to bed, or if you are better off not eating before going to bed. I am sick of this gut and its time to say goodbye! I am also cutting out my beer intake until I see results. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Nolan

Replies

• cahalith
    Options
    work night shift too and before I go to bed, I know this sounds strange but I have a hard boiled egg- I take it with me to work and when I get off work I crack it open eat it as I got to my car, drive home and by the time i get home (15-30 minutes depends on whether and traffic) I am ready to go to bed)

I have a question for you

I work graveyard/nocturnal shift and am usually awake 3pm-11am (earliest and lastest) for work, I have been having trouble logging because I don't know how to log with my schedule- seeing as one day to me is two calendar days. Any suggestions?
  • axialmeow
    axialmeow Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I eat my "dinner" at work at about 3am. I get home by 9am and I will usually have a protein bar.
  • squirrelythegreat
    squirrelythegreat Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I workout after my night shifts. I have a protein shake and eggs with toast typically. Go to bed around 10/noon and sleep until 2-3 hours before work (9/10/11)
  • Shelialouise66
    Options
    I too eat around 3am, then have an apple when I get home, just munching on something is generally enough for me. I work 12 hour shifts. I don't want a full meal when I get home, but I am a little hungry. The boiled egg sounds like a great idea, I think I will try that one.

I have downloaded the MFP app to my phone, so that is how I log while I am at work.
  • fotofreak01
    fotofreak01 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I also work mids. If I am hungry when I get home, I'll usually have a FF yogurt. @cahalith, What I do is log all my food, before I go to sleep after work, as the day I started on. So if I were to eat something right now, I would log it on yesterdays daily log. I count my day as starting after I wake in the afternoon (typically 2ish pm) and ending at 7 am.
  • Shelialouise66
    Options
    @squirrelytheg, wish I had the energy to go work out after work. I'm usually exhasuted after spending the night in the busy critical care unit, taking care of my patients. I commend you, that is awesome.
  • cahalith
    Options
    @cahalith, What I do is log all my food, before I go to sleep after work, as the day I started on. So if I were to eat something right now, I would log it on yesterdays daily log. I count my day as starting after I wake in the afternoon (typically 2ish pm) and ending at 7 am.

okay thank you-- last time i worked nocs, It was only an 8 hours shift which was no problem and I never ate on my shift I was way too busy in comparison.
  • PMarie29
    Options
    I work 12 hour night shifts, and I put everything I plan on eating at work into MFP before I go to work. This way, I don't overeat or snack or graze while I'm at work, and I can bring enough snacks with me that I know will fit into my calorie limit. Like others, I log my "eating day" from when I wake up at 4:00pm until when I go to bed at 8:00am.

I work 7pm-7am, and I usually have a protein shake (I drink Arbonne Essentials, chocolate, 2 scoops) around 6:00am and sip on it for an hour or so until I get off work. If I'm still hungry, I'll have a slice of plain toast when I get home.
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    I have a yogurt or a fruit about three hours before I get off, so about four hours before bed. I dont eat when i get home because i'll be sleeping not burning.
  • RaineyLaney
    RaineyLaney Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    work night shift too and before I go to bed, I know this sounds strange but I have a hard boiled egg- I take it with me to work and when I get off work I crack it open eat it as I got to my car, drive home and by the time i get home (15-30 minutes depends on whether and traffic) I am ready to go to bed)

I have a question for you

I work graveyard/nocturnal shift and am usually awake 3pm-11am (earliest and lastest) for work, I have been having trouble logging because I don't know how to log with my schedule- seeing as one day to me is two calendar days. Any suggestions?

I work 11pm to 7am. I eat what I call breakfast round 8-10pm (lets say 1/15) I will log that as 1/16 because most of my food (Lunch/dinner/snacks) is on that day. I usally don't eat once I am home or sometimes just really light, like a piece of fruit or 2 rice cakes with peanut butter on them.. Just so I am not so hungry I can't sleep when I head to bed.
  • KelleyRob
    KelleyRob Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    my day starts over at 12am regardless if I'm working or not. I just log it wherever it fits on the schedule. :flowerforyou:
  • Viola47
    Viola47 Posts: 121
    Options
    Everyone is is different! I do best with some high calorie/high protein foods! I have some salalmi/hard cheese snacks before bed.
  • BelindaDuvessa
    BelindaDuvessa Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    The best advice I have is to log from midnight to midnight.

As for eating before bed....it depends on how late I ate at work. I work night shifts and take 2 meals with me, as well as some snacks. If I eat the meal after 2 am and a snack close to getting off work, I generally don't feel the need to eat right before bed. I like someone else's suggestion of a hard boiled egg. I love those things and have a tendency to make a dozen at a time and use them as either snacks or part of my breakfast.
  • lp91413
    lp91413 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I also work mids. If I am hungry when I get home, I'll usually have a FF yogurt. @cahalith, What I do is log all my food, before I go to sleep after work, as the day I started on. So if I were to eat something right now, I would log it on yesterdays daily log. I count my day as starting after I wake in the afternoon (typically 2ish pm) and ending at 7 am.

this is how i log too. my day starts at 4pm and ends when i get home at 7am. so at 7am, i am still logging on the day before. but for me it works. i dont start my new day till i wake up in the afternoon
  • Dymatized
    Options
    I work from 1030 pm to 630 am but my last meal is at 5am. 12 almonds and 2 scoops of Elite XT protein shake.
  • baileylewis2
    Options
    I have a question I work nights 4 days out of the week, i need help with my eating schedule because im not always asleep during the day like i should be, things just need to be done during the day that cant happen at night. i want to make sure that im eating every 4 to 6 hrs but my schedule just doesn't work with that every day. sometimes ill sleep for a few hrs in the morning and sometimes i don't go to bed tell 2 in the afternoon.
  • 1longroad
    1longroad Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    3 twelve hour night shifts per week and I count my food based on a 24 hour period. If I am hungry after work, I make an egg white omelette or have a yogurt.