Power foods for when you're sick?

Options
Ramberta
Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
I don't get sick often, but when I do, I feel absolutely miserable. I can't eat dairy, I don't feel like cooking, and I fall into the trap of wanting to go out to eat because it's easier. What nutritious, simple foods (besides chicken soup :P) do you all recommend for kicking a sickness in the teeth? This is just your general cold/cough/ickiness.

Replies

• RabidCarrot
    RabidCarrot Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    this is a good article with some tips on getting over a cold/flu quicker with foods that give your immune system a boost. http://livinginthechanges.wordpress.com/2012/12/12/what-to-eat-when-youre-not-feeling-great/
  • fiona2785
    Options
    Something with as many veggies as you can fit in it! I go for veggie and lentil broth - just chop a load of veggies, put those and lentils (whatever type you like, get ones that don't need soaking) in some stock, leave to simmer for 20 mins or so (during which time you can go and collapse on the couch) then voila! Healthy, low-cal soup.
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    this is a good article with some tips on getting over a cold/flu quicker with foods that give your immune system a boost. http://livinginthechanges.wordpress.com/2012/12/12/what-to-eat-when-youre-not-feeling-great/

I already drink plenty of green tea with honey, but that garlic and onion soup sounds good. I'll have to try it!
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Realistically nothing is going to make a noticeable difference once you have already come down with a bug, you are stuck with the immune system you have. Don't smoke, have alcohol, added sugar or high glycaemic index carbs these all suppress immune function.

Contrary to popular belief you need a balanced diet for a healthy immune system not just produce or just zinc and vitamin C - protein, essential fatty acids, minerals, vitamins, antioxidants, fibre so a balance of ALL the food groups including oily fish. Remember that part of your immune system is your gut flora, so work to keep a healthy balance, perhaps a course of freeze dried priobiotics, certainly plenty of prebiotic foods in your diet.

Sorry if this sounds preachy but honestly lose the pot for the benefit of all your health issues including the stress/ anxiety and family risk factors. If the boyfriend smokes it serve him notice to quit because he is not a healthy influence in your life. I've been around enough of that in my party years and seen where people end up in five and ten years time, in exactly the same place but fatter and unhealthier. They always say they will quit but .... manyana.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    pure raw honey and cinnamon. not a little, a lot! make a paste and spread on toast, or put into your tea. i have not been sick for years, and my husband blood pressure has dropped 40 points with this and a good diet. other countries use this mixture as healing and preventative medication.