Reallu hurts my neck?

Options
My exercise regime mainly focuses on cardio for fat burning and abdominal exercises as this is where I need to lose weight the most. However I've got a problem, whenever I do ab exercises my neck KILLS way more than my ab. More times than not I have to stop due to neck pain rather than ab pain and it's driving me nuts. Why does it hurt my neck so much? I really have to attain my neck to keep my shoulders off the floor during these exercises, is there anyway I can correct this?

Replies

• Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Cradle the back of your skull with your hands lightly - don't crank yourself up with your hands though - just rest your head lightly.

Or invert your abdominal work and do planks, dolphin planks and low dolphin planks - all on Google.
  • dhakiyya
    dhakiyya Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Cradle the back of your skull with your hands lightly - don't crank yourself up with your hands though - just rest your head lightly.

Or invert your abdominal work and do planks, dolphin planks and low dolphin planks - all on Google.

I used to have this problem, ^^^ this fixed it. And planks are great. (not heard of dolphin planks before will look them up)
  • Tari_D
    Tari_D Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I have this problem too and while I've not totally stopped it I find when doing things like crunches focusing on a spot a bit behind myhhead on the ceiling helps me to keep my head/neck still and just move my torso/abs. So that's might help you a bit.
  • lisa_lamb
    lisa_lamb Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    For crunches/ sit ups, place your fingertips each side of your neck, don't hold on to the neck. Keep your elbows wide.

As others say, planks are great. Try mountain climbers, I love them!
  • Loftearmen
    Options
    I would also like to point out that doing tons of abs will not help you "tone up" or lose fat around your middle. You would be better off spending your time doing more cardio or some full-body resistance exercises like squats, deadlifts, overhead presses, bench presses, barbell rows or even weighted lunges
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I would also like to point out that doing tons of abs will not help you "tone up" or lose fat around your middle. You would be better off spending your time doing more cardio or some full-body resistance exercises like squats, deadlifts, overhead presses, bench presses, barbell rows or even weighted lunges

this^^
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I had this problem with my Pilates in the beginning. It really hurt. I took lots and lots of rests by laying my entire back and neck onto the floor for a few beats before raising it up again. Kept the legwork and abs going but the neck flat on the ground. Making sure you are lifting up using the *abs*, not the top of the back, also helps.

The neck is a muscle like anything else - it takes time to strengthen it. For the more aerobic moves, I still have to take neck rests, but overall it's much improved. Just takes time and practice.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options

This x 10
    Squats = :heart:
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options

this^^

So true!!!!!!!
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    fitnessblender.com has three videos of Standing Abs. One is 10 minutes, one is 35 minutes, and I'm not sure about the other. They focus on your abs, but there is absolutely no strain on the neck at all.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    An exercise routine that consists primarily of cardio and sit-ups is a very poor routine. Stop doing direct ab work and stay doing a whole body strength routine. You'll see much better results
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options

this^^

So true!!!!!!!

yep
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options

this^^

So true!!!!!!!

yep

x5
  • KayteeB07
    KayteeB07 Posts: 341
    Options
    thankyouuu :D
  • ShaniWulffe
    ShaniWulffe Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Blah I have the same problem XD I get so paranoid that I will use my neck more than my abs that I just kind of lock up my neck and it kills
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    it may seem obvious but just stop tensing your neck.

Tensing the neck muscles will not improve your abs, Concentrate on more compound exercises as others have said, and look for better technique if you must continue the abs work.
  • KayteeB07
    KayteeB07 Posts: 341
    Options
    Thanks everyone as you can probably tell I'm new to exercise like proper exercise can you explain these exercises
    Please? squats, deadlifts, overhead presses, bench presses, barbell rows or even weighted lunges thankyou x
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone as you can probably tell I'm new to exercise like proper exercise can you explain these exercises
    Please? squats, deadlifts, overhead presses, bench presses, barbell rows or even weighted lunges thankyou x

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EP2g3Sj3qSw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ro3Mh9o7JPU&feature=youtu.be