weight up & down...driving me mad!!

Options
so i'm 3 ibs up from yesterday!!

Friday eve i was a little naughty and had some sweets after dinner but then when i stepped on the scales yest morn it showed i hadn't gained anything .... this morn i was up 3 ibs ....is this the result of the sweets? however yesterday i hardly eat anything as i was sleeping most of the day!!! (i didn't do my workout dvd yest.)

Help!!!! i feel like giving up!!!

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    It's water weight. Unless you ate 10500 calories over your TDEE (the amount it takes to maintain your weight), you did not gain 3 lbs of fat.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Why give up? Where's that going to get you? :smile:

It's just the nature of the beast. Weight fluctuates. Whether you're trying to lose, gain, or stay the same, your weight is constantly going up and down depending on your exercise patterns, how much sodium you have consumed, how much carbohydrate you've consumed, how much food/waste is in your system, how much liquid you've consumed, hormonal fluctuations etc etc.

According to your diary you ate about 600 calories yesterday. As long as you are at a calorie deficit (or eating the number you need to maintain) you won't gain fat. There is absolutely no way you gained 3 lbs of fat overnight, so relax, eat more than 600 calories a day, and carry on! :flowerforyou:
  • jackdaniels1234123
    jackdaniels1234123 Posts: 89 Member
    Options

It's just the nature of the beast. Weight fluctuates. Whether you're trying to lose, gain, or stay the same, your weight is constantly going up and down depending on your exercise patterns, how much sodium you have consumed, how much carbohydrate you've consumed, how much food/waste is in your system, how much liquid you've consumed, hormonal fluctuations etc etc.

According to your diary you ate about 600 calories yesterday. As long as you are at a calorie deficit (or eating the number you need to maintain) you won't gain fat. There is absolutely no way you gained 3 lbs of fat overnight, so relax, eat more than 600 calories a day, and carry on! :flowerforyou:

It was a couple of nights ago that i eat too many sweets!! i had a large dinner that was healthy but just had too much of it then a load of sweets :-(
  • Jo2926
    Jo2926 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Your weight will go up and down day to day, for no apparent reason.

Don;t drive yourself crazy - weigh once a week or once a fortnight and trust in your counting and exercise. It will deliver results.
  • JesterMFP
    Options

It was a couple of nights ago that i eat too many sweets!! i had a large dinner that was healthy but just had too much of it then a load of sweets :-(
    So? Don't dwell on it. What are you going to do today to be healthy?
  • jackdaniels1234123
    Options

I feel like i am doing it all for nothing and i might as well sit and eat a load of chocolate!! i get up v early to do gillian's workout dvd when it's pitch dark and cold and am still the same weight!!! i put the weight on through eating tons of chocolate/crap at Christmas, i have cut that out so why am i not losing? i am exercising more as well.
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    Weight fluctuates.... It's just something you have to deal with.
  • papastu
    papastu Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    weigh once a week !
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    keep-calm-its-only-water.png
  • JesterMFP
    Options

I feel like i am doing it all for nothing and i might as well sit and eat a load of chocolate!! i get up v early to do gillian's workout dvd when it's pitch dark and cold and am still the same weight!!! i put the weight on through eating tons of chocolate/crap at Christmas, i have cut that out so why am i not losing? i am exercising more as well.
    You need to give it more time. Log consistently over several weeks and see how you get on.
  • Dymatized
    Options
    It's most likely water weight. However, sugar is horrible if you're trying to lose fat.
  • Jo2926
    Jo2926 Posts: 489 Member
    Options

It is not all for nothing - there could be a few things going on:

1) Weight Fluctuates. It is not a straight line.
    2) If you have recently started an exercise routine then your muscles will be holding on to water to help them to repair. This is normal but will show on the scale for a little while. Drinking lots of water can help.
    3) You might not be logging accurately. Are you logging your food accurately everyday? Are you weighing and measuring your food or guessing? Are you logging exercise accurately? Are you eating back exercise calories?

Do not give up. *hugs* The first few weeks are always tough because you are trying so hard and really want to see big results. My suggestion is to keep going, give it a coupe more weeks and then reassess.
  • jackdaniels1234123
    Options
    It's most likely water weight. However, sugar is horrible if you're trying to lose fat.

i am trying to cut down on fruit intake....

i did drink a lot of green tea and didn't seem to be peeing much!
  • SueMGordon
    Options
    Unlike my husband, who is doing this too, I do not see a steady weight loss, even though I am mostly doing the right thing. For me there is no correlation between what I do one day and what the scales say the next. So my solution is to only record weight changes when I next have my newest lowest amount. I ignore fluctuations due to TOM and a host of other things, and stick to trying to eat within the calorie limit and do some exercise. Even when I have a bad day I log it and try to see the big picture over a week or fortnight. I'm not saying that the lack of downward movement doesn't get me down if it has been a few weeks, but I know that if I don't give up it will shift and often in quite large jumps. I won't let the calorie limit stop me from joining family and friends in celebrations but I will try and compensate if it is practical to do so.

Keep going and don't give up. Learn to make sensible choices with what you eat and how much you move and you should be pleasantly surprised with your progress if you take the long term view. Good luck!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

You're going to have to log consistently and accurately, and stop having so many really low calorie days. You need to eat well in order to lose weight, and that means not starving yourself. If you go over (which all I could find in that regard was one 1300 calorie day, and that's still pretty low) then you just keep going. Don't try to compensate by starving yourself, that's just going to make you want to binge.

If scale fluctuations are going to stress you so much, put the scale away for awhile. Weight fluctuates. If you can't see the numbers going up and down for no apparent reason without wanting to quit then you need to step away from the scale.
  • meeperoon
    meeperoon Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Erm if its not TMI for this post, you are a lady and well us ladies do tend to add weight on at certain times of the month and then lose it again say... a week later? could that be it?

It will even itself out, one week you'll lose 2 and then add 1 then lose three the next week. Its these damn bodies... just cant predict what the bejezus they want to do!!
  • jackdaniels1234123
    Options

It is not all for nothing - there could be a few things going on:

1) Weight Fluctuates. It is not a straight line.
    2) If you have recently started an exercise routine then your muscles will be holding on to water to help them to repair. This is normal but will show on the scale for a little while. Drinking lots of water can help.
    3) You might not be logging accurately. Are you logging your food accurately everyday? Are you weighing and measuring your food or guessing? Are you logging exercise accurately? Are you eating back exercise calories?

Do not give up. *hugs* The first few weeks are always tough because you are trying so hard and really want to see big results. My suggestion is to keep going, give it a coupe more weeks and then reassess.

i don't measure/weigh my food, i put it into the search and click on the item or closest item to what i eat. I can't seem to log my exercise dvd as i can't find how you do it. Thank u for the support, i like to see results when i make such an effort.
  • AllergicToExercise
    AllergicToExercise Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    As people have said, there are so many factors that can affect the numbers on the scales, you certainly can't gain 3lbs overnight. It's likely to be sodium related/water retention. Give it a few days and make sure you're drinking enough water and I'm sure it'll come back down again.

Some people can weigh daily and they get used to the fluctuations and don't let it bother them as they know it'll come right in the end, and others weigh weekly or even less often because that way the fluctuations don't bother them or throw them off track. The second option may be the best way to go for you if you are finding it frustrating.

I heard a saying recently "if you're sick of starting again then stop giving up". Weight loss takes a lot of patience, but you will get there if you keep on doing the right things. Good luck!!
  • schmitaes
    schmitaes Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    DON'T GIVE UP. You may be putting on muscle weight, retaining water, could it be PMS? maybe that is why you are craving sweets. Stay in there for the long haul and it will be worth it.
  • jackdaniels1234123
    Options

You're going to have to log consistently and accurately, and stop having so many really low calorie days. You need to eat well in order to lose weight, and that means not starving yourself. If you go over (which all I could find in that regard was one 1300 calorie day, and that's still pretty low) then you just keep going. Don't try to compensate by starving yourself, that's just going to make you want to binge.

If scale fluctuations are going to stress you so much, put the scale away for awhile. Weight fluctuates. If you can't see the numbers going up and down for no apparent reason without wanting to quit then you need to step away from the scale.

As far as i can understand i do eat right.