Meal Replacement Shakes

Options
What is the best meal replacement shake on the market that keeps you full for a long time and isn't too much money?

When I am on the run getting to school in the morning, I don't really have time. I have to catch the bus at 630 and wakeup around 615 then have class for 5-6 hours straight. What can keep me full?

Thanks

**Feel free to add me, always looking for friends, people to help me, advise me and tell me if I need to step it up

Replies

• TorontoAdam91
    Options
    bump.
  • jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    I drink RAW meal replacement, beyond organic, vanilla... I will be honest with you tho... it is NOT very tasty, and is a little on the pricey side... but... It is the single healthiest 'food' I've ever seen... it is all organic, gluten and soy free... It is basically just TONS of dried ground fruits, vegetables and grains... I only do 1 scoop instead of the recommended 2... VERY high protein and fiber, few sugars, lots and lots of vitamins and minerals. I mix mine with coffee... believe me you will NOT want to take it straight... and absolutely go with the Vanilla, it is substancially milder than the chocolate... never tried the original, but the original has quite a bit of sugar.

Worth it for me for the health benefits... Helps keep me satisfied hunger wise, I've dropped weight faster since I've started using it twice a day than I ever have before, and I much prefer getting all my vitamins and minerals from organic healthy sources than taking suppliments if at all possible...

Best of luck!
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Slim Fast is designed specifically for this purpose. It is also the meal replacement shake with the most studies behind it.

Low Carb slim fast actually replaces the sugars with extra protein. Double win right there.

Remember, meal replacement shakes teach NOTHING about proper nutrition and how to eat properly. So, they do work to get weight off. They do not work to keep it off.
  • anaduffy
    Options
    I'm doing the body by vi challenge and i do it for the same reason i have a shake and go straight to work and I'm good until my break
  • KerrieJane86
    KerrieJane86 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this counts but I drink Carnation Instant Breakfast Essentials (chocolate) every morning for breakfast. I love them and I never get sick of them.
  • jesslmassey
    Options
    I like the special k milk chocolate. I dont do the diet but if I am on the run and know I will need something quik I grab one of those. They only last me around four hours though.
  • campjl25
    Options
    Slim Fast is designed specifically for this purpose. It is also the meal replacement shake with the most studies behind it.

Low Carb slim fast actually replaces the sugars with extra protein. Double win right there.

Remember, meal replacement shakes teach NOTHING about proper nutrition and how to eat properly. So, they do work to get weight off. They do not work to keep it off.

I'm using Slim Fast right now for meal replacement. I find it helpful to have a quick breakfast on the go (and sometimes lunch). And it's great to use *while* I learn about all the nutrition instead of gathering info and not starting weight loss until I feel ready. That said, I find they keep me full for a few hours. But I usually eat fruit with the shake.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    If time is the problem, you could cook/prepare real food on your days off or get up earlier. I'm a pretty busy guy and used to make the "I don't have time to work out" excuse too, then I got up an hour and a half earlier in the morning.

Example: Today I'm grilling about 6 lbs of chicken, a few steaks, and then portioning everything out so I can grab and go for the coming week. Other days, I'll grab a can of tuna and mix in some celery/cucumber, whatever.

Much more satisfying than a shake.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    What is the best meal replacement shake on the market that keeps you full for a long time and isn't too much money?

When I am on the run getting to school in the morning, I don't really have time. I have to catch the bus at 630 and wakeup around 615 then have class for 5-6 hours straight. What can keep me full?

Thanks

**Feel free to add me, always looking for friends, people to help me, advise me and tell me if I need to step it up

Most all are not healthy, they are full of refined carbs and added sugars, any vitamins and minerals are added they are not naturally in the key ingredients. If you don't eat any real food until lunchtime you are going to be playing catch up all day with your servings of fruit, veggies, dairy and so on. You don't have to wake up at 6.15, you are choosing not to make time at present.

Can't you start preparing breakfast the night before and just grab from the refrigerator? Refrigerator oatmeal in milk with frozen berries and seeds; vegetable frittata; Greek yoghurt with nuts and dried fruit/ handful of low sugar granola or Grape Nuts at the last second. If you buy a stick blender with its own lidded beaker and get up two minutes earlier you could make a smoothie - weigh/ measure everything the night before so you are pretty much just blending and rinsing the blade under the tap.

Research suggests antioxidants (flavonoids) in certain fruits and other foods may aid concentration and memory, whereas sugar and other additives can cause problems in susceptible individuals, it's not as simple as just feeling full.
  • TorontoAdam91
    Options
    thanks everyone for the replies,

yes firefox I could and I should definitely start trying a little harder in the morning instead of taking the way out.

I understand the ridicule but I was just gathering some advice from people because maybe other options, such as shakes, have worked for people and I was curious to find out more.
  • RLeighP
    RLeighP Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I do Slim Fast in the mornings, simply because once I buy the powder and the almond milk, it's cheaper and so much healthier than running through a drive through. I need quick because I not only get my husband out of the house with everything in the mornings, I also have to get my 15 month old ready to go too, and I don't have enough time to stand at the stove and scramble an egg.

It may not be the healthiest thing in the world, but it does the job. It's either that or eat a yogurt while driving down the interstate. No one wants me to do that.
  • 30ismyyear
    30ismyyear Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I'm not drinking any right now but in the past I had tried many and done the research behind it. Body by Vi was an amazing price and had the best nutrients/portioning. And it does taste pretty good. However, you need a rep to get it or you need to order online (kinda wishing I was a rep right now ;D). If you don't want to go that route there is one in the stores (Superstore over in BC) that was very comparable, just slightly more per serving. I just can't remember what it's called :( It's in only bigger containers (around $20) and it's beside the Slim Fast ones.... But the vanilla flavour is disgusting. Just spend a few minutes at the store and look at the backs and compare information.
  • RobinC37
    RobinC37 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Instead of shakes, have you thought about premaking homemade granola bars (oats, dark chocolate, sunflower seeds, etc) and a glass of milk? I drink whole milk (150 cals, 8g fat, 8g protein) occasionally in place of a post-workout snack because it's fast and has a lot of nutritional value.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    I understand the ridicule but I was just gathering some advice from people because maybe other options, such as shakes, have worked for people and I was curious to find out more.
    1. I see no ridicule in the reply from Firefox
    2. Your profile says you joined MFP to eat better. Shakes are not the answer to eating better.

Check out skinnytaste.com for some recipes, hit the grocery store, and get on it.
  • MsAmulet
    Options
    IF is also a valid idea. (Intermittent fasting). On days where I get out the door and simply don't have time to eat.. I don't. I drink tea or coffee and shift my meals to later. The meal replacement drinks to me are hunger-stimulating where fasting is hunger-diminishing. ymmv!
  • PennStateChick
    PennStateChick Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I drink shakes that are just real food put into a blender. It doesn't take any more time than any of the powders or drinks suggested here. My favorite is banana, yogurt, milk, frozen blueberries, and spinach. Throw in blender, turn on, let run while getting my coffee and whatnot. Its easy, convenient, and tastes fantastic.

I would also suggest some snacks during class to keep you full for the 6-7 hours you are asking about. Drink a smoothie in the morning. Then, take nuts, etc with you to class to keep you full.
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Boil and peel eggs on the weekend or buy pre cooked and peeled ones. I promise it only takes a few minutes to eat a few. Throw in some milk or fruit juice or real fruit if you like. You can also precook bacon and store in the fridge and then microwave it for a few seconds to warm it up. Get up 10 minutes earlier and eat some food.
  • kcsaville
    kcsaville Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I am currently drinking the Monavie RVL shakes. When I started my weight loss, I was drinking one for breakfast and lunch. But, now I usually only do one for breakfast for the same reasons as you. I am short on time in the morning. The nutritional value on these is actually quite amazing. They do keep me feeling full and they actually taste good. I could go till lunch without needing anything, but I usually have a greek yogurt or something for a snack to keep my metabolism up. I also mix mine with milk to help me reach my calorie goal. I would recommend Monavie to everyone, but it certainly isn't the cheapest meal replacement shake mix out there.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    1. I see no ridicule in the reply from Firefox
    2. Your profile says you joined MFP to eat better. Shakes are not the answer to eating better.

Check out skinnytaste.com for some recipes, hit the grocery store, and get on it.

if you want to drink shakes, drink shakes. if you don't, don't. pretty simple.

OP, back in the day (like a week ago :P ) I would have told you I drink Shakeology and love it, blah blah blah, but the more research I'm doing, the more I'm realizing there are some other really good options out there that are much cheaper and contain the same superfoods.

Most MLM companies put out less than stellar products (Body by Vi for example, which uses artificial flavors), and while I still do believe that Shakeology IS a superior product from a company I believe in, there really are more cost-effective alternatives.

I recently found a shake from NOW Foods that profiles almost identically with Shakeology but has the proprietary blend broken down with amounts of each ingredient, and it costs $30 for a month supply... really can't beat that.

It's called Now Tru Food Vegan. (and no, you don't need to be a vegan to drink a vegan shake - it's just got more of the good stuff your body needs and tastes good too)
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Boil and peel eggs on the weekend or buy pre cooked and peeled ones. I promise it only takes a few minutes to eat a few. Throw in some milk or fruit juice or real fruit if you like. You can also precook bacon and store in the fridge and then microwave it for a few seconds to warm it up. Get up 10 minutes earlier and eat some food.
    Hard-boiled eggs and pre-cooked bacon are a great idea. They also sell pre-cooked bacon which just needs to be warmed up.

Another suggestion - two eggs in a bowl only take 1 minute to cook in the microwave. Toss them in a whole wheat/low-carb tortilla and you've got a filling breakfast wrap. Greek yogurt is another quick/easy choice.