Alcohol

Options
Hey everyone, I'm a big wine drinker but until yesterday I haven't had any since Christmas and a glass today.
Red wine by the way, Malbec . Can someone let me know should I stop until I reach my goal or its okay to keep drinking in moderation. Any stories of negative results drinking wine. Thanks

Replies

• sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    Drinking is fine if you do it in moderation and it fits within your calorie limitations. I do cut back when I'm losing weight.
  • workingthisout
    workingthisout Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    As long as you have just a glass or two, and log it along with everything you eat, wine should be just fine. I think red wine is actually good for you (your heart specifically I think) so go on & enjoy it :D
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I agree that alcohol can be fine (and even has some benefits for the heart) when used in moderation. Of course, there are many risks associated with alcohol if your drink in excess. For this reason I think those who have a history of alcoholism are better off without any alcohol.

I probably average about 2-3 drinks a week and see no reason to change.

Below I have cited a study from the New England Journal of Medicine

Cheers!
    http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa022095
  • underwater77
    underwater77 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    wine is non-negotiable for me. just make sure it's within your goal for the day and enjoy!
  • BonnieandClyde29
    BonnieandClyde29 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    as long as it fits within your limits, then it should be fine.....
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I have wine with dinner several nights a week and had no problem losing weight.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    I know that the reason in not losing is because of my wine drinking. It puts me over on calories nearly every day.
  • bearwith
    bearwith Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    alcohol is a toxin so your body tries to break it down quickly before it harms your organs. When you have alcohol with a meal, the food gets digested after the booze therefore it sits around making you feel sluggish.

This is why people who drink a lot get overweight quicker than those who do not.

If you can avoid it do so and go for something else. You need food to survive but do not need alcohol. Not good if you are trying to build more exercise into your lifestyle either as it is yet another toxin on top of the lactic acid that your body is trying to break down.

Alcohol is wasted calories because it has no nutritional value at all.
  • mtfr810
    mtfr810 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I keep it in my calorie permitted. I love my wine and a little vodka. I've cut a lot of stuff out but you still have to have some things to really enjoy. Workout more and the wine is your treat!
  • Stormborn25
    Options
    I drink, just not as much as I used to :) this is a good article too http://www.leangains.com/2010/07/truth-about-alcohol-fat-loss-and-muscle.html
  • kenmyst
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I will set my max limit to 3 glasses a week. This has been the most difficult of my commitment of a lifestyle change. I don't miss the sugar or the junk food or the wasted sodium. But I love my wine and a great steak. Oh well , but when I hit my goal I'm having steak and lobster and a big glass of my favorite merlot.
  • catiegirlnyc
    Options
    For some Wine can cause inflammation in the body. The tannins can also cause sensitivity to weight loss and bloating. You can have your blood tested to see if you are Alcohol sensitive. If you are, even having a little can impede your weight loss.
  • kjw1031
    kjw1031 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    wine is non-negotiable for me. just make sure it's within your goal for the day and enjoy!

:flowerforyou:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    alcohol is a toxin so your body tries to break it down quickly before it harms your organs. When you have alcohol with a meal, the food gets digested after the booze therefore it sits around making you feel sluggish.

This is why people who drink a lot get overweight quicker than those who do not.

If you can avoid it do so and go for something else. You need food to survive but do not need alcohol. Not good if you are trying to build more exercise into your lifestyle either as it is yet another toxin on top of the lactic acid that your body is trying to break down.

how about cupcakes? :smile:
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I drink a glass or two of wine most nights of the week. I've lost almost 40 lbs. If I want to be a fitness competitor I think I'd have to cut it out, but for the average person just wanting to be healthy, you're fine as long as it fits your calorie goals.
  • tridiv
    tridiv Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I drink whisky usually, I cut back on it initially, then I realized there is no point cutting back on anything you like eating / drinking because someday you will end up starting it again, instead I now practice moderation and I have about 4 to 5 pegs a week (my pegs are only about 30 ml each with loads of ice....ice water tends can burn up to 74 extra calories for you a day... from what I have read some where).

I have lost 67 lbs in past 32 weeks and no impact to weight loss from the time restarted drinking normally.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Do it in moderation. Studies have actually found having a glass of wine a night can be benefitial...just make sure you account for it in your daily intake.
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options

Having said that - it would appear that the French, Spanish and Italians don't generally have the obesity problems the British and Americans do - although obviously, you get overweight people everywhere.

From what I recall, in general, wine is ingested in all of those countries, but they are not big on processed foods....
  • spamantha57
    spamantha57 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I love Malbecs! You have good taste. :)

Try to remember you're doing a lifestyle, not necessarily a "diet" - you want to have habits in place that will keep you healthy for the rest of your life. If you're drinking a bottle by yourself every night, that's a problem. If you have a glass or two with dinner here & there, it's not.
    And yes, red wine can be good for your (heart) health. Moderation of course. :)
  • iSarahMay
    Options
    I have wine with dinner several nights a week and had no problem losing weight.

I have one glass of red wine before bed a few times a week and it hasn't effected my weight lose.