those who used to eat under 1200 cals..?

Options
I began this journey in October 2012, I was extremely unhappy with my body and decided to lose weight fast, eating 800 or less calories a day. And I did, I've lost 17lbs so far and slowly begun to up my calories. I told myself it was unhealthy and i'd do it for just a month but it almost 4 months on and I can only get to about 1100 calories a day now without feeling guilty, but i've seen various posts about people upping their calories and still losing weight and wondered what your stories were? I'm scared about upping them because I'm at university and don't have scales therefore I worry if I do up them, I'd be putting on weight without realising.

Anyway my stats;
height: 5'6
sw: 132lbs
cw: 117lbs (last time i weighed myself three weeks ago so not too sure)

Replies

• livingdeadlifter
    Options
    This probably isn't what you want to hear, but I'd suggest seeing a doctor/health professional, especially if you have feelings of guilt about not eating enough.
  • meldel49
    meldel49 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Have you been putting on weight since you upped your calories? That's what you need to look at. I always felt less the better but they say it isn't good since your body thinks it is in starvation mode and then you can't get passed the plateau. I hope others respond to this question for it is good and many probably would like some input about it. Thanks!
  • ashleeliza
    Options
    ^^
  • cristinap26
    Options
    I had this issue too... still kind of battling this - but it has helped me to eat more... I too was afraid I would put on weight when I started upping my calories... it's only normal to put on a few pounds as your body adjusts but trust me you will feel so much better! I think I put on two or three pounds but I have seen a bigger difference in my weight loss and the changes in my body in comparison to when I wasn't eating as much ... I hope it continues this way and my story at least helps motivate you some! :D
    I began this journey in October 2012, I was extremely unhappy with my body and decided to lose weight fast, eating 800 or less calories a day. And I did, I've lost 17lbs so far and slowly begun to up my calories. I told myself it was unhealthy and i'd do it for just a month but it almost 4 months on and I can only get to about 1100 calories a day now without feeling guilty, but i've seen various posts about people upping their calories and still losing weight and wondered what your stories were? I'm scared about upping them because I'm at university and don't have scales therefore I worry if I do up them, I'd be putting on weight without realising.

Anyway my stats;
    height: 5'6
    sw: 132lbs
    cw: 117lbs (last time i weighed myself three weeks ago so not too sure)
  • ashleeliza
    Options
    I had this issue too... still kind of battling this - but it has helped me to eat more... I too was afraid I would put on weight when I started upping my calories... it's only normal to put on a few pounds as your body adjusts but trust me you will feel so much better! I think I put on two or three pounds but I have seen a bigger difference in my weight loss and the changes in my body in comparison to when I wasn't eating as much ... I hope it continues this way and my story at least helps motivate you some! :D

Thankyou :) How many calories were you eating and how many did you go up by? Would you still gain pounds even though youre not eating above your TDEE?
  • mammiehorn
    mammiehorn Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I also went through this and honestly still fight it everyday. What I have found is that if you up your calories with the right kinds of foods you will continue to lose. Everybody has foods that even though low on calories will still make them gain. If I eat sugar free pudding with unsweet almond milk I will gain weight. Figure out your bad foods and stay away from those but please increase your calories with good foods. A calorie is def not a calorie. How you get them will make a difference.
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I am wondering about your goal. At 5ft 6in your current weight seems to me to be healthy for you. If you are now intending to go into maintenance, then increase your calories slowly each week, by say 200. You do need to increase your calories, either way, for your health.

Find out how many calories you should be eating, for either additional weight loss (intend to lose no more than .5lb a week at this stage) or more likely to maintain your current weight. You could try the following link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12