Achilles tendon

Options
Hi

I think I have damaged my Achilles tendon whilst running yesterday.

I was wondering if you have experienced this.
When I have been sitting for a while or sleeping, when I get up to move it hurts like hell.
The pain eases after a few footsteps and I am able to walk freely.
However, once coming to a rest and start to move again, the pain flares back up.

I have been R.I.C.E over the past two days.

Thanks

Replies

• MogwaisGrandma
    MogwaisGrandma Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I got up out of bed one day and mine was done in. Could not think of how it happened but I spent 6 weeks of being very very careful on it. 2weeks of that was having it strapped up and 4 was me limping. Its funny because I went to do a plank the other day, the first time I had done one since I had hurt it, and I was really cautious with what I was doing.

You can nothing bar make it worse unless you rest it. If you have a good physio they may help but mine took over 2 months to get back to being right!!
  • kathy41017
    Options
    Eccentric exercises are good for Achilles tendonitis. It's easier for you to look them up than me try to explain how to do them. However, your symptoms sound like plantar fasciitis, but that affect the bottom of your foot, not your achilles. Kind of odd.
  • MrsBikiniBound
    Options
    I had tendonitis for years. I was also not very smart when it came to letting it heal appropriately as I was playing softball year round and competing for scholarships. This led to me playing even when it hurt because that was how i was going to get seen. It would flare up once every few months, i would ice it, use ointments like icy hot or tiger balm. stretching also helps immensely.

Do yourself a favor and dont do what i did. let it heal appropriately. I didn't at ended up causing myself a lot of damage that needed to be surgically repaired- putting me out longer than any rehab would have. There are a lot of great stretches for this problem that helps build up strength. Not sure if the link below will work- but this stretching tool saves me :)

http://www.footsmart.com/P-FootSmart-SmartFlexx-Stretching-Device-10741.aspx?srccode=WMGGLE1&cm_mmc=googplus-_-Default-_-s-_-1074100000000&kwid=productads-sku^10741 000 00 000-adtype^pla-adid^23714933887

feel better!