BodyMedia any input?

Options
I wanted to buy this product since its able to be synced with my fitness pal. It's also 15% off right now.
I also want a better idea of how many calories I really do burn a day...
Has anyone tried this? And can you tell me the pros and cons of it?
Hoping I will be convinced enough to buy it lol :)

Here is the link for the product that I speak of for those of you who are curious.

http://www.bodymedia.com/

Replies

• evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    I have a BMF and I love it! I have the display device, and I love seeing in real time how many (or how few) calories I've burned. It's very motivating, and it allows me to tailor my eating to my output (there have been days when I've burned over 3000 calories; without the BMF I wouldn't have had a clue) so I can maintain a consistent deficit.

With the display, you're also able to set it to show calories burned during a workout, so I'll often set my workout goal by calories instead of time.
  • theojt
    theojt Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have the BMF LINK armband; really like it. Downsides - You have to wear it all the time on your upper left arm (23 hrs per day suggested). You get used to it and the armband does not have to be very tight. After it's on for a few minutes it kind of sticks to your skin so tightening the strap doesn't really add appreciable security. It is largish but not terrible - just slightly bigger than the width of the strap, probably 1.25 x 1.25 inches. In August, there will be a smaller device available (announced last week, the "Core 2) and that device will be considerably smaller and somehow will allow the incorporation of an HRM. The LINK is water-resistant but not waterproof - no showers/swimming etc. but it should be okay with sweat or rain.

The BM website has a monthly fee of $7, but then so does Fitbit if you want the same functionality (though I think their Premium website is slightly less annually).

The positives - this is not a pedometer that estimates everything based on steps (and/or altitude). While it does measure steps, it also measures your body heat, skin flux and galvanic skin response to calculate energy expenditure. It's accuracy is supposedly certified by a medical testing agency.

The LINK armband that I have (not sure about other versions) supports Bluetooth and can be linked to a mobile app (both iPhone and Android apps are available). This works well as a display device though I have noticed that the Android version I have does not upload the data automatically to their website from my phone. According to the documentation that functionality used to be in the app, so I assume they'll put that back in the next development cycle or so. In the mean time, I just sync via USB once or twice a day.

The battery life on the device is great. You could probably go for 4-5 days without a charge, maybe longer. I take it off in the mornings when I shower and plug it into the USB, that sync's it and tops of the battery to about 90% (charging does not take long).

It links very nicely to MyFitnessPal and I integrate with a Withings WiFi scale as well. Pretty cool setup overall that provides a great deal of data.

If you want to stylize it, there is a website with different removable "skins" that you can use to decorate the unit with - or create your own for $5-6.

I have found it to be extremely useful. Highly recommended.
  • jaybabyreading50
    jaybabyreading50 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have the BodyMedia fit. I love it. It really helps me stay on track. But it is larger than most. Check out their website. I love it.:happy:
  • kassidybell
    kassidybell Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I got it for the new year and really love it. Currently I'm trying to talk my father into picking one up for himself.

It's a great motivator, to be honest. I love having it link to my phone and check on the fly how much I've burned. But as Evileen said, it is a great tool to make sure you are keeping the same deficit even if you are burning way more calories or if you happen to have an off day (or be sick), you can lower the calories you take in to keep on track.

The only times I tend to notice it on is if I'm wearing a sweater with tighter arms, then it just looks a little weird. I still wear it out in those occasions, as I've gotten a little OCD about wearing it out of my home.

As for Cons to it, the only issue I have had with it is that the bluetooth doesn't seem to want to stay connected. I had to start ignoring my phone while on the treadmill (a nice 30min work out) because it kept requesting the pairing pin code EVERY MINUTE. Which was weird because when I would be out on my normal route through the neighborhood it wouldn't do it.
  • DOB1973
    DOB1973 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have brought this, in the UK its known as KI Fit - I love it and this is only the second day that I have been wearing it.

The only downside...... in the UK it does not sync to MFP :-(

If anyone has got this to work in the UK, please message me.
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    I've been using mine for about a year and plan to continue. It's been really helpful to me to have visual data about activity level and calorie burn, and now that it syncs with MFP's food diary it's pretty much ideal.

The negatives, to me, are that an armband isn't great placement for someone who works in a professional office environment. So I have to either wear long loose sleeves to cover it or deal with the funny looks and questions about what's on my arm. The other problem I've found with the armband is that after many months of wearing it there is a slight indentation in my arm muscles from where the band sits. Not so ideal.

Overall, it's worth it to me, but wanted you to be aware. If the armband issues are of concern you might want to consider a less obtrusive gadget. One of my coworkers uses a "Jaw Bone" wrist band that seems to provide similar data as BMF.

Good luck.
  • samlankford
    Options
    I just got my body media link.. it is a little bulky to me but who would not say that when you have to wear it pretty much all time time right!! I had it on for only MAYBE 3 hours yesterday (was only walking aroudn the house and out side picking up doggie "deposits!" in the yard) it told me that I burned over 1300 calories in that short amount of time... it also is telling me that I need to eat 2600 a day to LOSE weight... I have been eating under 1700 calories a day for so long, I am just HOPING that I have not screwed up my body to badly... I an not overweight in the slightest but want to drop that little "fluffy" layer while keeping the muscle... I would tell people to get one, it is a worthy product... so will be TRYING to eat 2600 calories (40%carbs,30%fat,30%protein) for a while to see how I do:bigsmile:
  • Doberdawn
    Doberdawn Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I don't have it, but you might want to talk to the fitbit folks. Fitbit offers similar data, also syncs with MFP, is about to release a wristband or armband style this spring, and does NOT charge a monthly subscription fee unlike BodyMedia. Just FYI.
  • lunglady
    lunglady Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Do you really wanna wear something that bulky all day? How about a Fitbit?
  • ChinniP
    ChinniP Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I really like the BodyMedia. I couldn't compare it to Fitbit but in general I think any device that gives you feedback is fabulous. I'm one of those that has to stay away from facebook games because i become obsessed with getting points for stupid things. I compare the feedback from my device in the same way - which is a good thing. If it says I should get a daily burn of 2500 (that includes bmr burn) and 10,000 steps, I get a bit obsessed with meeting the numbers.
  • lgav23
    lgav23 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have a bodybugg....and have always LOVED it! its getting old so I am looking to get the Body Media Core. It's pretty much the same as the bodybugg I have but a little smaller.
    I have the display, and it seems to help seeing how much you are burning and how far you still need to go.
    The only cons I can come up with is : it's not waterproof ( and I love kayaking) and that you have to wear it on your arm all the time. Sometimes it would be nice if you could conceal it.
    The bodybugg does not sync w/ MFP, so I am looking forward to the new Body Media!
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I have the Bodymedia Core and don't find it bulky at all. I try to wear it on my upper left arm when I can but when I wish to conceal it, the device works just as well slipped in the side of my bra or on my left calf. I find it produces similar readings.
  • chadgard
    chadgard Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I just got the BodyMedia Link this afternoon, and am starting to experiment with it. Does anyone know if there is a larger arm band available? Didn't see one listed on their sight. Whilst I am rather large, there are definitely many larger people than I, at both ends of the fitness continuum, so I was mildly surprised that at its biggest setting it's a tad too tight on me...
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    I just got the BodyMedia Link this afternoon, and am starting to experiment with it. Does anyone know if there is a larger arm band available? Didn't see one listed on their sight. Whilst I am rather large, there are definitely many larger people than I, at both ends of the fitness continuum, so I was mildly surprised that at its biggest setting it's a tad too tight on me...

You can buy armbands in small, medium, and large. Check the webpage.
  • MerRock
    MerRock Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Really? I had no idea I could wear it in either of those places! I will have to try that. There are times with work that it just doesn't work on my arm, so I don't wear it that day. Then I feel lost without the data. Thanks, I'll have to try that!
  • chadgard
    chadgard Posts: 102 Member
    Options

You can buy armbands in small, medium, and large. Check the webpage.

Ah, yes. I missed it because they were hyping the skins so heavily. Thanks!
  • 6size6
    6size6 Posts: 10
    Options
    I have the Bodymedia Core and don't find it bulky at all. I try to wear it on my upper left arm when I can but when I wish to conceal it, the device works just as well slipped in the side of my bra or on my left calf. I find it produces similar readings.

That is so good to know you can wear it places besides the arm. i felt kind of self conscious in a tank top with it.
  • dogacreek
    dogacreek Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I love my BMF Link and feel more confident in my calorie numbers burned. I generally wear it on my left arm during the day and on my lower calf at night. This is just to give my arm a rest. I have worn it on my calf during the day also and have not seen a difference in the readings. If I ever get to the point of feeling confident to wear sleeveless blouses to work, I will move it to my calf. I would recommend this to anyone losing weight.