Need to increase Protein

Options
13»

Replies

• stormtruck2
    stormtruck2 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Any receipe that you use that calls for mayonaise, use plain greek yougurt. We use it in tuna salad with baby spinach and onion. Fantastic. Also for chicken/turkey or egg salad.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Try some nuts! Easy on-the-go snack. Happy Day! Jools

Nuts are over 50% fat. I wouldnt scoff them if you intend to lose weight.

They are a healthy fat.... And dietary fat doesn't make you fat. Excess calories do.
  • Valera0466
    Valera0466 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Beans of any kind have protein. Find the ones you like best and use them in place of meat in your meals.
  • Betty_Canada
    Betty_Canada Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I'm sort of in the same boat.

I can eat meat, but eggs and mornings and I Do Not Happen. The smell of egg yolk makes me nauseous for some reason. (Besides which, I don't digest them well.) Mornings are more of a sausage and toast-like object thing for me. Google "Low Carb Comfort Food Cookbook Best Whole Wheat Bread" and check out the recipe on Google Books. The stuff is 6g of protein a slice, primarily based on almonds and if you are gluten tolerant, a fantastic alternative to "normal" bread. It's rich and nutty and earthy and just fabulous toasted.

I'm still hunting for a non-sucky commercial protein powder without any artificial sweeteners, but I have found that the Quest Protein Bar at 20g of protein and 14-18g of fibre in a 60g bar is rapidly becoming a staple in the pantry. They come in 12 flavours - 6 are sweetened with Sucralose and six are sweetened with Stevia (if you are very sensitive to artificial sweetener.)

In the meantime, I use 100% whey protein isolate (unflavoured, unsweetened, just straight up naked isolate) and mix it with frozen berries and yogurt. I've been buying it from Bulk Barn, but Presidents' Choice has two pound tubs for $40 (the bulk stuff is $25/pound), so I'll give that a try. A scoop (30g, about five tablespoons) is 27g of protein with virtually no carbs.

I bought a little tiny container of chocolate milk; I figure I'll try throwing in a scoop and shaking the bejeebers out of it. Worst case scenario I'm out a 325ml bottle of milk and a protein scoop - but if it works, it'll be 39g of protein in something I can carry around with me. The 37g of carbs is a little high, but if I use it pre-workout, I'll burn most of it off.

Oh, and don't fear the nuts! While technically they're rather high in fat, fat isn't what makes you fat, and nuts are generally a good source of Omega 3s and protein, so it balances out. Fat provides satiety value, so the nuts you snack on post workout mean you're not starving all the way to dinner. Nuts are the awesome. Just be aware of potential peanut allergies in coworkers and fellow gym rats before bringing them along.

If you can handle cheese, hard cheese is also a good source of protein, I always keep garlic sausage and marble cheese in the fridge as my go to after work snack, along with a few of the dilliest pickles I can lay hands on.

Hoping that helps.

=Betty=
  • Liz77bandsman
    Options
    Wow. I am definitely going to look into the protein shakes as i use slimfast as a meal replacement (and quite like them)
    As for the gelatine -as yet i haven't tried this (only because i haven't got any)
    Everyone seems quite torn on nuts - i know that the fat is better for you but i would need to pre measure rather than leave the bag in my desk
    Veggie replacements I use alot but as the only veggie in the house i struggle to cook only the one portion (so end up with the same meal for a few days - my food diary may seem repetetive but it is for this reason)
    I love the sound of the chickpea recipe (i love these & butter beans and black eyed beans and so many more)
  • FlowmO
    FlowmO Posts: 6
    Options
    @braveheartfit :

Hi!
    Sorry for the late reply - I'm not so great at this part of MFP...

The gelatin helps me a lot, because I stay full a lot longer than when I don't put some protein in my smoothie.
    I also really like the idea that it is a natural product instead of proteinpowder which always makes me wonder what's in it.

Good luck with it ^_^

[yes, it's not suitable for vegans/vegetarians, i know, I used to be one...]