47 with kidlets.. This year is my year!

Options
Hi! My name is Susie and I just joined this site today. I have been struggling with my weight for the last 10 years, since my 2nd daughter was born. Before that, I barely tipped the scales at 120, so this 180+ body that has crept up on me over the years, has got to go! I am highly motivated and hoping to find a good circle of friends who like sharing triumphs, pitfalls and tons of support! So please feel free to add me as your friend if you are looking for the same too! Thanks bunches! =)

Replies

• alevett
    alevett Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Hey, 47 with kids too. I signed up in October 2012, but didn't really get serious for 2 weeks. So far in 2 months, I have lost 11 pounds with a goal of 40. I have changed a lot of my diet but not all - I need to make it manageable or it won't stick. I exercise 3-4 days a week for about an hour. By the time I turned 40, I had already been struggling to keep off extra weight (throughout my 30s, it was gain 10, lose 5, gain 15, lose 10, gain 20, lose 15. By the time I was 45, wow! I am also on medication that can cause weight gain - and it did. As the weight starting creeping up over the past 2 years ago, I think I gave up and gained 30 pounds (was that fast - never gained that much weight in such a short time frame). I decided to set my weight loss goal at 40 as I think it is a reasonable goal for me. I live in Canada and would like to invite you to be a friend.
    Good luck,
    Amanda
  • KathleenMaryP
    Options
    Just got started myself. I'm 48 and have gotten to where I can't ignore the person in the photos anymore. Was thin for years and the wt has really started to stick the last 10 years. I am starting with 10lbs to lose then I will see what happens. I was 118lbs after finished having kids at age 30, now 144. :/ wanting to turn it around before it gets any worse. For full disclosure I am a registered dietitian but I have discovered wt loss is a lot about finding the motivation to eat right vs. knowing what to eat. Many of us know that extra cookie is a bad idea but why do I eat it anyway? I personally need some accountability.

I don't know how this works. I will try to add you as a "friend" and see what that does. Good luck to you!
  • Scoopers804
    Options
    Hi! Wonderful to meet you! I can't believe how similar our struggles are! I've spent the last ten years doing the same thing! Lose 5, gain 10. Lose 15, gain 25! I'm not on any meds currently, but I too just gave up last year and really didn't do anything about the weight I was gaining. Wow, did the last 20lbs come on quick! I went from being able to jog a half hour, to huffing just to get to my mailbox! I am currently 187 and have set my ultimate goal for 135, but I am planning on celebrating every size I lose. I have changed my diet around a bit as well. More veggies and definitely less potato chips and cream cheese! (A huge love I picked up this past year.) I was lucky enough to be given a pretty nice treadmill this weekend! Now to just get it to my home and start walking! Good luck to you too Amanda! Here's to a happy, healthier life for us both!
  • Scoopers804
    Options
    Hi Kathleen! I am very happy to meet you! Thanks for replying to my post! I too, know how hard it is to look at old photographs and then I pull up our new Christmas pictures and think, "Is that really me?? When did that happen??" I have set a pretty high goal of 52 lbs, but that is my ultimate goal. I plan on celebrating every size and couple pounds I lose. I will jump for joy the day I can walk a mile again, at a decent pace, without having to stop! That's great that you are a dietitian. I am awaiting approval by board for a position with our local schools. The meeting is tomorrow night! =) I will check the add friends part, as I'm not sure how it works either, but I'm sure we'll figure it out! Good luck to you! =)
  • elliev30
    elliev30 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I started a couple weeks ago but... we are all on this journey. It's great to have support so feel free to add me and we can root for each other ! Good luck .. stay positive!
  • Scoopers804
    Options
    Will do Elliev! Thanks for replying! Good luck to you too!
  • aseymour13
    aseymour13 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Good luck to all! I'm 56 with 2 college girls and a new hip . I'm just 2 weeks in with a good distance to go! Good friends help the journey!