Day of rest???

Options
I started really watching what I ate again and really got back on track. Lost 3 pounds the first week back. This week I lost nothing! I think I may have been working out too much and not eating enough. I work out daily regularly for years now but this past week my legs feel very sore. As much as I hate to take a day off I feel like my legs are begging or it! What are our thoughts, rest or push on?

Replies

• Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    It's not recommended to train daily, nor is it recommended to train sore muscles. Exercise breaks the body down nutrition and rest builds it back up again. Even professional athletes cycle hard and easy days hard and easy weeks. If you are struggling mentally to take even one day off ask your doctor for support on exercise addiction.
  • Shaylam82
    Shaylam82 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I always feel better when I have a rest day. just gotta make sure my nutrition stays on point. Listen to your body :)
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Enjoy having a rest day or two (or three) during the week.

And have patience. If you're going to change your program because you didn't have progress after a single week you're in for a bad time. Pick a program and stick to it
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    You don't necessarily have to not exercise at all on your rest day. You can walk or do low intensity cardio, etc.
  • chervil6
    chervil6 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    usually the 1st weeks weight loss if down to loss of water mostly , keep at it and you'll see results :)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    what does your current work out regimen look like?
  • sevfam
    sevfam Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body. Rest days are just as important as work out days. Someone said...on rest days you dont have to sit and do nothing. Talk a nice walk, smell the flowers :wink:
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Rest days are as important as workout days, even in the very beginning. You have to give your muscles time to repair; give them a good 24 hours, and if they're particularly sore, 48 hours. Otherwise you'll hit a wall on progress in the next few weeks.

Think of your body as an unbuilt house. You have the plan in mind and you can't wait to move in to your brand new house. But you build a house brick by brick. Some days it rains and no bricks get laid. On those days, the masonry cures and the bricks that have been laid are held together more strongly. If you try to build the house all in one day, the masonry doesn't set, and all the bricks come tumbling down. But if you build your house slowly, you can reap the greatest reward at the end.