Forgive me...

Options
I'm sure this question has been asked like a million times, but I need some help regarding my routine.
I currently work out 3- 4x a wk for 1 1/2hrs or so doing cardio at the gym, which I love, I love getting my HR up and sweating...it actually feels like I'm doing something.
However, I find the weights section in the gym hugely intimidating, so I tend to leave out strength work. I have a set of 3kg dumbbell weights at home which I try to do some arm work and squatting, and I get some crunches in too.
I weigh 138, I'm 5'3 (quite a small frame) and want to lose at least another 12lbs.

Do I need to put more strength work in to lose weight? What cardio/strength ratio should I be aiming for?
Any help would be greatly appreciated

Replies

• NachoEverydayChick
    NachoEverydayChick Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Take 30-45 minutes of that time 2-3x a week for strength. Yes, you need it. You can swap out the cardio for that time, or add it on top of the cardio- but do the strength work first if you're doing them at one shot.

It doesn't need to be intimidating. The 3kg dumbbells aren't really going to get you anywhere. Go online and get yourself a copy of Stronglifts 5x5, and start with that. It's only a handful of basic lifts you need to learn- seriously- you don't need to know how to use every thingamajig in the weight room to get a proper lifting workout. If you REALLY want to learn everything about those basic lifts, further your education by picking up the book "Starting Strength" by Mark Rippetoe. He breaks down everything you need to know about the main lifts and by reading that, you will know more than 90% of the guys there.

Once you have your plan set, walk in to the weight room, and do it. People will be impressed, I promise. If you need help, ask. You only need enough courage to get you in the door and get started- once you're there you will realize it's not as bad as you expected. I promise.
  • iorahkwano
    iorahkwano Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    What you're doing now is already a lot of cardio, I remember reading somewhere on here that doing more than an hour becomes pointless. People usually recommend 30-45mins a day. Since you are doing a lot of cardio and not seeing anymore weight loss, I'd say adding weight lifting is the way to go. Do about 30-45mins cardio a day, and weight lift about 3-4 times a week (You need some rest days in between, unless you alternate upper body & lower body days).

You just have to be brave & wander into that weight room. Bring a friend who can help, or someone equally clueless so you at least can feel silly together lol. I imagine people are more understanding of girls being shy or new to the weight room compared to a guy. They'd probably just think you're cute if you're usung a machine wrong & come help out :)
  • ashleighcollins89
    Options
    Take 30-45 minutes of that time 2-3x a week for strength. Yes, you need it. You can swap out the cardio for that time, or add it on top of the cardio- but do the strength work first if you're doing them at one shot.

It doesn't need to be intimidating. The 3kg dumbbells aren't really going to get you anywhere. Go online and get yourself a copy of Stronglifts 5x5, and start with that. It's only a handful of basic lifts you need to learn- seriously- you don't need to know how to use every thingamajig in the weight room to get a proper lifting workout. If you REALLY want to learn everything about those basic lifts, further your education by picking up the book "Starting Strength" by Mark Rippetoe. He breaks down everything you need to know about the main lifts and by reading that, you will know more than 90% of the guys there.

Once you have your plan set, walk in to the weight room, and do it. People will be impressed, I promise. If you need help, ask. You only need enough courage to get you in the door and get started- once you're there you will realize it's not as bad as you expected. I promise.

That's so helpful. Thank you so much :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    cardio is great for overall fitness and hear health, but doesn't do much in RE to body composition. To get that tight and toned look, you have to lift...and you have to lift more than little dumbells and crunches. You need to lift heavy weights to get that lean, tight, and toned look.

I 2nd SL 5x5 or starting strength or some derivative thereof...though those two programs seem to be the best. They're really nothing new...those routines have been around for a very long time and they work. Contrary to popular belief, you will not get big and hulky lifting heavy...you will get lean, tight, and toned...and strong. The hulks out there do a lot more than simply lifting heavy and eating a relatively good diet. Just do it, you won't regret it.
  • iorahkwano
    iorahkwano Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    ^ Strong Lifts is good too.

You can also buy a beginner's weight lifting book. That's how I learned the standard form of bicep curls, dumbbell flies, tricep extension, etc. I had a weight lifting bookfrom gym class, but also my mom had a really good one with pictures that shows step 1 & 2, tells you about sets/reps/rest and the author is an older woman with a great physique! I'msure there's similar books, they're not that complicated.
  • Crazy4Healthy
    Crazy4Healthy Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Definitely start strength training, the programs already mentioned are good programs.
  • ashleighcollins89
    Options
    Wow thanks so much everyone for your great advice and links :)