The Daniel Fast

Options
I am doing a reduced version of the Daniel Fast leading up to my Church annual conference. I say reduced as its meant to be 21 days and I am doing 3!! It is my first ever religious fast, I know what I can and cant eat but im worried that I am going to be drastically under calories! has anyone got any tips to help me out?
And I am not doing it to help me lose, I am totally focused on prayer & my relationship to God but I really dont want to put my body into any form of starvation mode whilst doing it!!!

Replies

• HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    I am doing a reduced version of the Daniel Fast leading up to my Church annual conference. I say reduced as its meant to be 21 days and I am doing 3!! It is my first ever religious fast, I know what I can and cant eat but im worried that I am going to be drastically under calories! has anyone got any tips to help me out?
    And I am not doing it to help me lose, I am totally focused on prayer & my relationship to God but I really dont want to put my body into any form of starvation mode whilst doing it!!!
    Are you eating any food during those 3 days, what types of foods are you able to eat? I would suggest getting plenty of water, are you able to drink water during those 3 days?

Without knowing abit more about food allowed, calories alloted etc. for this fast it's a bit hard to recommened any ideas. :ohwell:
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    Are you eating any food during those 3 days, what types of foods are you able to eat? I would suggest getting plenty of water, are you able to drink water during those 3 days?

I had never heard of this type of fast so I looked it up and this is what I found:
    "One of the great things about the Daniel Fast is that you are not limited to any specific amount of food, but rather to the kinds of food you can eat. The Daniel Fast is limited to vegetables (includes fruits) and water."
  • spacie
    spacie Posts: 82
    Options
    Other people fast for 21 days???
  • spacie
    spacie Posts: 82
    Options
    Oh I see so it is like going vegan for a while? Veg soup, curries and roasts it is then!
  • kellycrow
    kellycrow Posts: 140
    Options
    yeah - it sounds like you will be a vegan for a while without any grains... 3 days is fine ... some people do it as a permanent lifestyle change...

make sure you have variety so you won't break down and grab a girl scout cookie!!

a yummy salad could include jicama, shredded sweet potato, and lots of other yummy things... ENJOY! eat fresh and local... the best there is for you!!

good luck!!
  • kimmyonherway
    kimmyonherway Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    It is a very difficult fast. My experience - you will lose weight after 21 days however it will all come back on once you stop. I don't believe 3 days will cause damage, however - be careful. This fast is not to be used unless you are very aware and careful. Reeligous reasons are why its commonly used, so of course you have good reason. Please educate yourself before starting and know what to watch for. 3 days and my thought is you'll do fine - but like I said, its very strict and difficult and you have little energy. Best of luck and I hope it goes well for you. Come back and update us!
  • Lparault
    Lparault Posts: 100
    Options
    I am taking a course on nutrition right now, I don't claim to be an expert, but what I have read is that your body can react to nutrient losses in a very short time (24 hours or less). So, balance your fruits and vegetables and make sure to eat legumes which provide protein. That way, your body doesn't have to accomodate itself to a lack of anything. Fruit will give you lots of sugar to make glucose, the beans and such will give you the protein you need as well. Good luck!!!
  • Berliner
    Berliner Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have tried the Daniel Fast a while back and lasted about 3 days. There are many, many sites that help you through the time and give you a list of foods you are allowed to eat. I have used this web site http://danielfast.wordpress.com/daniel-fast-food-list/

I actually had to go grocery shopping for it since I did not have certain foods on hand.

Good luck and stay focused. Your faith in God IS the power during this time!

Silke
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    My thought, being a Christian myself, is that if the Lord is laying on your heart to participate in this fast HE WILL SUSTAIN YOU. I wouldn't worry about calories and such. Remember in the book of Daniel when Daniel, Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego would not eat from the King's table, but only vegetables and water (The Daniel Fast) their strength and contenance was better and fatter than those who did eat from the King's table.

You WILL be fine. And I think it is awesome what you are doing.
  • Miss_Chievous_wechange
    Miss_Chievous_wechange Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    Well said byHISstrength.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    I am taking a course on nutrition right now, I don't claim to be an expert, but what I have read is that your body can react to nutrient losses in a very short time (24 hours or less). So, balance your fruits and vegetables and make sure to eat legumes which provide protein. That way, your body doesn't have to accomodate itself to a lack of anything. Fruit will give you lots of sugar to make glucose, the beans and such will give you the protein you need as well. Good luck!!!
    I appreciate you sharing what you've learned thus far, thank you!:drinker: :wink:
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Yep, it's a very structured vegan diet (which I am all for). I've been a vegetarian for years and I may go back to being vegan at a later date. The fact that you are doing this for the Lord is a big part of it...it's not a fad diet it's a true Chrisitan fast. Just be careful, eat your legumes for protein, veg and fruit for carbs/sugars/antioxidents and drink plenty of water.
    I also think you would be interested in reading Beauty Secrets of the Bible (by Ginger Garrett), it's a wonderful book cramed full of not just beauty tips but also full of nutrition and scriptures to read.
  • gemfox
    gemfox Posts: 107
    Options
    Thanks so much guys, found today really hard!!! was working all day and didnt manage to get to the shop to buy anything to munch on! but doing ok!!!
    You are all ace and when its over I will keep you updated!!
  • gemfox
    gemfox Posts: 107
    Options
    Hey guys,
    Daniel fast went really well, made a killer veggie curry all from scratch and was amazed at how tasty it was! God is working in my life and I know that the prayer and fasting I went through prior to conference helped! I have felt such a shift in my soul. AMAZING! am totally going to do this fast again and for the full 21 days next time!
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Way to go! Let us know when you're doing the full fast, I'd love to get your take on it (granted I'm a vegetarian and was a vegan for 3 years-so it's almost the same thing).