Breast feeding, weight loss.

Options
I put on about 15 pounds five years ago. I was prob a little on the light side before. I was suddenly 145 pounds and have stayed there ever since. I started to enjoy food a little too much. The word no left my vocabulary and I also became less physically active. I had been getting away with eating beyond my means for a good while then as I was fairly active.
I had my second child and am breast feeding successfully. After baby was eight weeks old, got rid of the junk from the house. I lost 15 pounds in ten weeks and am lighter than I was before pregnancy. Delighted and am now using my fitness pal as a tool to make more informed eating choices for current weight maintainance.
Think the weight came off so easily cos it never should have been there in the first place. Now increasing my level of physical activity and feel great eating around 1700 a day!
Hopefully can keep it off.

Replies

• felisha_ortiz
    felisha_ortiz Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I am a nursing mom too! (To an 8 month old) The weight loss has been slow, but it was the same, once I really took a look at my diet and started eating better, it has started coming off! Keep it up!
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I believe that when you are breastfeeding you need to eat a certain amount of calories to keep both yourself and your baby healthy. If you also exercise you will be using up energy and need to eat even more to replace it.

I am sure that if you google it, you will come across many sites that will tell you the minimum you need to be eating when breast feeding. I understand how you must feel about having more weight on you than you would like, but at this time of your life, when feeding your baby, its health should come way before how you feel you look.

I applaud you for breast feeding, that's a brilliant choice and glad that you are able to do it successfully. There will be time to work on your body later, you will never get the chance to breast feed this baby again. :flowerforyou:
  • maevebrack
    Options
    Didn't breast feed to lose weight. Did not experience weight loss while feeding first baby. Got to my prepregnancy weight but not lower. I eat when I am hungry. The first eight to ten weeks my appetite was unpredictable. Would be ravenous without any warning signals. So start the day with oats and fruit usually. Appetite stabilised and became more predictable.

Had a very difficult time with breast feeding baby no 1. This time I really listen to my body, even if it means waking sleeping baby to feed him when I am full.
    Feel really lucky that feeding is working out so well so hoping to keep going for another while.