Breast feeding question???

Options
Does anybody known what happens about breast feeding?

My son is 14m and nurses about 4 times a day on average.

Just wondered if I should be adding calories or changing my diet to accomodate his nursing?

Tbh I don't normally use my calories anyway. But just wondered how I would log it. Want my logging to be accurate x

Replies

• calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    You should be eating an extra 400-500 calories/day if you're breastfeeding. I would go into "goals" right under the home tab and then edit and custom and add 400 cal's to your current goal, but others may have more detailed help or a better way to keep track. I wish there was a BFing option so it would automatically take that into account.

And congrats on extended BFing!
  • Kaali1985
    Kaali1985 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    You should be eating an extra 400-500 calories/day if you're breastfeeding. I would go into "goals" right under the home tab and then edit and custom and add 400 cal's to your current goal, but others may have more detailed help or a better way to keep track. I wish there was a BFing option so it would automatically take that into account.

And congrats on extended BFing!

Ty, he is my 3 rd of extended breast feeding. Daughter 2 was until 3yrs, daughter 3 was until 2y9m.

I vaguely remember logging it really easily on my last account, hoping someone could steer me in the right direction.

:)
  • mom2lyla
    mom2lyla Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Go to your food diary and add food. Type in breastfeeding. There should be an option for both exclusive (-500 cal) and extended (-300 cal, I think). You just have to log it once daily. Way to go, mama.
  • calibriintx
    Options
    You could also log it as 400-500 "exercise" calories/day. That way you're not messing with your regular calorie goal. But I'd do my best to eat back those calories.

I planned on BFing for at least 24 months but DD gave up the boob at 11.5 months. We tried EVERYTHING. Sippy cups, bottles, cups with straws, dream feeding, etc. I even got desperate and put some chocolate syrup in it, in a cup. She ended up having a food sensitivity but by the time we figured it out and I was able to do a TED, she was over it.
  • calibriintx
    Options
    Go to your food diary and add food. Type in breastfeeding. There should be an option for both exclusive (-500 cal) and extended (-300 cal, I think). You just have to log it once daily. Way to go, mama.

Cool! Good to know for down the road.
  • Kaali1985
    Options

Ty I was having a play around too. I see it now :)

Love having on hand tech support for when my brain doesn't quite work hehe
  • Kaali1985
    Options
    You could also log it as 400-500 "exercise" calories/day. That way you're not messing with your regular calorie goal. But I'd do my best to eat back those calories.

I planned on BFing for at least 24 months but DD gave up the boob at 11.5 months. We tried EVERYTHING. Sippy cups, bottles, cups with straws, dream feeding, etc. I even got desperate and put some chocolate syrup in it, in a cup. She ended up having a food sensitivity but by the time we figured it out and I was able to do a TED, she was over it.

Unfortunately things don't always work outas we intended. But being a parent/person is all about dealing with what you get dealt. X

I can assure you I never intended to nurse this long, maybe to 1 yr, but my second daughter would take noting other than boob til she was almost 3! Hhe little monkey
  • mom2lyla
    mom2lyla Posts: 123 Member
    Options

Ty I was having a play around too. I see it now :)

Love having on hand tech support for when my brain doesn't quite work hehe

I think your brain works just fine...it's a little odd to log it as a "food." I guess it's somebody's food :-D
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    HUZZAH FOR BOOBIES!