Ladies with Large Frames and Broad Shoulders

Options
I have a large frame. I haven't done the wrist measurement test but I don't have to because the mirror tells me so. I am 5'8". My feet are large. I wear a size 12W or 13 women's shoe. My hands are big and long. My head is big. I have very broad shoulders.

I was "big" not necessarily fat all throughout my childhood because of my large frame. Because of my large frame, I carry my weight well. Most people don't believe me when I tell them how much I weigh. Even my own mother was shocked when I told her recently that I weighed 240 lbs.

The smallest I can recall being as an adult was when I lost a lot of weight after I had my second child. I had gotten down to around 180 lbs from approximately 210 lbs. I looked really thin at that weight. I don't know what size I wore because I didn't buy any new clothes and I ended up not maintaining that weight. I am now looking to lose around 100 lbs, but I think 140 lbs would make me look emaciated because of my height and large frame.

I have the inverted triangle body shape, which means my shoulders are considerably wider than my hips and I have a thick, undefined waist and small legs. i have no hips or butt to speak of and I have a large chest. I currently wear a size 16 on the bottom and I have to buy my tops in a size 20 to because of my broad back and shoulders and long arms. Is there hope for me to wear non-plus size tops when I lose weight? I ask because although you can lose weight, you cannot change the size or width of your frame. I fear that I will be a size 6 on the bottom and still have to buy plus size shirts because of the width of my shoulders. Exactly how does frame size, weight loss and clothing size work?

Here is a picture of me from a week ago

1-IMG_4574.jpg

My body may appear more balanced in the pic because of the A-line skirt, but trust me, if I had on a pair of pants you would definitely be able to see how much smaller my lower half is than my upper body and how broad my shoulders are.

Replies

• strutdivastrut
    strutdivastrut Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I feel you my shoulders are broad too and I am only 5'5. Think positive about yourself and mold your body into what you wants. When I lose about 20 more pounds gonna do some heavy lifting to work on my back and shoulders. Add me if you like.
  • cappri
    cappri Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8" and have a similar body type, very straight, narrow hips, broader shoulders. I always thought that I wouldn't be able to get into smaller sizes, but I now wear size mediums and moving into smalls for tops and t-shirts. I wear 6s and 8s in pants and jeans. I'm sitting right at the top of the healthy weight range for 5'8" at 163 right now. As you get closer to a healthy weight you may discover that you actually can get into smaller sizes than you thought possible.
  • BellaFe
    BellaFe Posts: 323
    Options
    I am 5'4 I have a large frame and really broad shoulders. I think you look great!
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9" and am large framed too. I have more of a pear shape, pretty much the same width from shoulders to waist then my hips and thighs are larger. I've been told by doctors that I'll probably be no smaller than a 14/16 because of it. I so hope they're wrong - only because my NSV is to walk into a non-plus-size store and be able to grab something off the rack!
  • denezy
    denezy Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I am considered a large frame. In my profile photo I am 195 lbs and 5'9"... and a size 12.

You can see I have quite muscular shoulders and arms, and my back is quite wide. I am a competitive paddler and that is never going to allow me to be narrow on top.

I do have a butt but I focus very hard on lower body workouts to keep it. I have found spinning is giving me great legs and I do what feels like a billion squats a week.

Don't be afraid of weights. It may make you feel larger up top, but your body will balance out as you lose. Pretty much all of my weight loss has been from my torso area to date.

Our larger shoulder body type actually ends up looking far more balanced as you get smaller. Wider shoulders will enhance your smaller waist! Good luck!

(and anyone can feel free to add me if you like).

Oh yes, my goal weight is 170 lbs. I am pretty sure I will be a size 8.
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I have the opposite problem. I have to buy a large size pants in order for them to fit around my thighs. But that size is much too large for my waist. So I end up having to wear bulky belts with all my pants. It was like this even when I was slimmer.

Anyway...you have lovely legs. Play that up and show them off!
  • starryskies_16
    starryskies_16 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I know what you're talking about! I've always been 'broad' and according to family members it seems to be a trait passed down through the generations. I'm more bottom heavy - I'm 5' 7" and take a UK size 18 on the bottom at the moment and a size 14 on the top, though I do have to go up to a 16 sometimes because of broad shoulders! I went through high school and uni with people thinking I weighed a fraction of what I actually do, which was nice, but frustrating when you know the truth from the scales! I've lost weight before and I've been down to a UK size 10/12 before (I lost weight through illness - not the best way to do it!) and managed to go to the more 'fashionable' high street stores rather than hunting in the corners of shops where they seem to stock all the things that fit me. So it is possible, you just have to be patient! A-line skirts are lifesavers and you look totally fabulous - always a bonus when you're trying to shift those stubborn pounds! :flowerforyou:
  • blu_meanie_ca
    blu_meanie_ca Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    As you loose inches on your chest and back (and that will happen) you will go down in shirt sizes. You will probably have to try on more, as not all cuts will flatter you, but, that goes for most people.
  • montanadanni
    montanadanni Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    i would really do the wrist and elbow measurements you might be surprised. height and foot size will only give you very slight indicators if you have a large frame. i have a large frame and yes i did the measurements :) i have the same size of bone structure as my husband. i am 5'4" with size 10 feet. i have an hourglass body shape so a large frame isn't very noticeable because of my shapely thighs, hips, bust, arms, and small waist. since losing the weight i have been packing around for a few years i can see more of my body again. it was hard to tell what i actually had going on when i was 100lbs heavier.
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I, too, have broad shoulders and a large frame, although I am only 5'2"... okay, 5'1" since I am shrinking with age. Don't worry about weight and sizes. Get yourself into a fit shape, and you will look great no matter what the scale says. In my profile pic, I was 130- at 21 (and actively bulemic). I have always been very active and very muscular - stronger than many men in my youth. (I made the mistake of beating a man in arm wrestling when I first got married. My (now ex) husband's friends hated me after that! Part of the reason I became bulemic was I believed the charts and other people that said I weighed too much for my height. As you can see in the other picture of me, on my profile, I was not overweight at 12, but that was when I started the purging. So just pay attention to how you look and feel- that will tell you when to start maintenance calories.
  • purplecharm
    purplecharm Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your responses. I have always had low self-esteem because of my broad shoulders and body shape. I guess it wouldn't be so low if my figure was more balanced instead of being top heavy. My goal is no longer a specific number but I do want to be totally out of the plus size section. I feared that I would be stuck buying plus size shirts because I am so broad at the top.
  • purplecharm
    Options
    I am 5'4 I have a large frame and really broad shoulders. I think you look great!

Thank you! :flowerforyou:
  • purplecharm
    Options
    I know what you're talking about! I've always been 'broad' and according to family members it seems to be a trait passed down through the generations. I'm more bottom heavy - I'm 5' 7" and take a UK size 18 on the bottom at the moment and a size 14 on the top, though I do have to go up to a 16 sometimes because of broad shoulders! I went through high school and uni with people thinking I weighed a fraction of what I actually do, which was nice, but frustrating when you know the truth from the scales! I've lost weight before and I've been down to a UK size 10/12 before (I lost weight through illness - not the best way to do it!) and managed to go to the more 'fashionable' high street stores rather than hunting in the corners of shops where they seem to stock all the things that fit me. So it is possible, you just have to be patient! A-line skirts are lifesavers and you look totally fabulous - always a bonus when you're trying to shift those stubborn pounds! :flowerforyou:

Thanks! :smile:
    And yes, A-line skirts are lifesavers! LOL
  • purplecharm
    Options
    I have the opposite problem. I have to buy a large size pants in order for them to fit around my thighs. But that size is much too large for my waist. So I end up having to wear bulky belts with all my pants. It was like this even when I was slimmer.

Anyway...you have lovely legs. Play that up and show them off!

Thanks! :flowerforyou:
  • purplecharm
    Options
    i would really do the wrist and elbow measurements you might be surprised. height and foot size will only give you very slight indicators if you have a large frame. i have a large frame and yes i did the measurements :) i have the same size of bone structure as my husband. i am 5'4" with size 10 feet. i have an hourglass body shape so a large frame isn't very noticeable because of my shapely thighs, hips, bust, arms, and small waist. since losing the weight i have been packing around for a few years i can see more of my body again. it was hard to tell what i actually had going on when i was 100lbs heavier.

I would be shocked to find out that my frame is anything other than large LOL. I am going to take you up on your suggestion and do the wrist/elbow measurements once i get a tape measure.
  • zaxx1953
    zaxx1953 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Yikes, I like to avoid these types.

I definitely have this type of frame though....

I was 6"0 267lbs in college and got bod podded at 17.4% body fat...I think my wrists are like 9 inches or something and I have 20 something inch calves without cankles so my ankles are a lot smaller.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    I have a small frame but I'm an inverted triangle shape, too. I've always had to wear a bigger size top but if you lose weight I'm sure you could wear regular size shirts.
  • linsey0689
    linsey0689 Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    I am somewhat the small body as you a very large frame but a little different. I have the hips too. But anyway I am just starting but I talk to my physician assistant about my weight loss and ask her where she thinks I could go as far as weight loss goes, she told me I will never be a size 2 or anywhere close to that at a size 10 or 12 I will look shinny. She said that is why people are always guessing you weight at 50 points less then what you weight and sometimes even more than that.

Really best of luck to you, I am just starting myself and really hoping I can stay with it!!!

Oh and by the way in your photo I think you look great :)
  • Kaali1985
    Kaali1985 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    People always guess my weight as a lot less than I am, I too am broad.

I'm 5'9" and currently 190.25lb and in a uk size 14 generally tho occasionally a 16 still.

I don't imagine I will ever get smaller than a uk 12 but time and hard work will tell :)

Even if you do end up wearing a +size top still, imagine how much more healthy and fit you will be. Hope you turn out how you wanna x x x x
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    Yikes, I like to avoid these types.

I definitely have this type of frame though....

I was 6"0 267lbs in college and got bod podded at 17.4% body fat...I think my wrists are like 9 inches or something and I have 20 something inch calves without cankles so my ankles are a lot smaller.

What can I say, for a dude its good if you can keep the weight off....as far as attracting men....ahhh, yaaaa, uhhh....not too good ladies.

-1/10