How long until your stomach shrinks?

Options

Replies

• morf13
    morf13 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    When I was eating bad,and gaining weight,I was waking up to a craving,growling stomach,and stopping everyday for porkroll& cheese sandwhiches,Sausage & egg,etc with hash brown.....I really think I would lose weight if I just cut that out. Thats 1000 calories right out of the gate.
  • mnlewis33
    Options
    To keep the growling attacks down you should eat 5-6 small meals a day, every 2-3 hours. So breakfast at 6am, a snack (or protein shake) at 9am, Lunch at Noon, a snack ( or protein shake) at 3pm and Dinner at 6pm. Don't eat carbs after 7pm. And if you do get hungry after 7, reach for a protein shake, cook up some eggs or even drink water. If you keep this up your stomach will shrink, but it will also keep you full throughout the day. Good Luck!
  • sarahbrown1015
    sarahbrown1015 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Eating at my calorie goal got A LOT easier when I started putting protein in almost every meal and snack. Especially if I eat a piece of friut o some other type of carb. One of my favorite snacks through the day is some lean lunch meat with a piece of low fat cheese and an apple. You just have to try different combos till you find what works best for you. Good luck!
  • morf13
    Options
    Really good suggestions everybody, thanks
  • Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I drink a lot of water, I always have, but I haven't found that it helps if I'm hungry. A cup of hot tea works for me, I don't know why that makes me feel fuller but it seems to help.
  • morf13
    Options
    I admit,I am not a water fan. I force myself to drink it now,at least 64 ounces a day,but it doesnt really do anything for my hunger
  • BradleyHarris09
    BradleyHarris09 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I would substitute your pork roll and egg/sausage and egg snack/meal with egg whites. Just started doing that and it has been very effective. Also gives alot of energy. Usually with the egg whites I will throw in spinach or mushroom. I am a big guy myself at 6'8 302lbs and I can attest that eating a lot of small portions is the way to go. Just read the labels of anything you pick up and consider putting into your body. Working for me.
  • Ramshots
    Ramshots Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Water has never helped me with hunger. I eat a serving of fruit between meals to help with the hunger. The one key to all this is to figure out and recognize when your "body" is hungry versus when your "mind" is hungry. Most people who say they are hungry are hungry in their "mind' and their body is not actually needing nourishment. That's why a lot of us are here. We haven't listened to our body and thus it has been over fed. When you get to the point of recognizing real hunger you will make progress.
  • joepayer
    joepayer Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Water has never helped me with hunger. I eat a serving of fruit between meals to help with the hunger. The one key to all this is to figure out and recognize when your "body" is hungry versus when your "mind" is hungry. Most people who say they are hungry are hungry in their "mind' and their body is not actually needing nourishment. That's why a lot of us are here. We haven't listened to our body and thus it has been over fed. When you get to the point of recognizing real hunger you will make progress.

Exactly.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough fat, fiber and protein?
    *For fat, try to avoid vegetable oil based fats (cooking oil, margarine, anything with soybean oil in it) and try to stick to monounsaturated fats (Olive oil, avocados) and saturated fats. Change your fat settings to 20-30% of daily calories.

Eat enough protein.
    *Try to have at least 40% of your daily protein at your first meal of the day. 1 gram of protein for every pound of body weight is a good rule of thumb for people who want to lose fat and preserve muscle.

Increase fiber intake to 30-50 grams a day.
    *Do this slowly if you are at a very low fiber intake. Once you start eating more fresh fruits and vegetables, it will be pretty easy to get up to these levels without supplements. Having some psyllium husk powder on occasion will help on the days you can't get enough from your foods.

Cut back on Wheat and processed grain products.
    *Eat more whole grain foods like rice and oatmeal and try to eliminate wheat. Recent studies indicate that wheat can create a cravings cycle that increases hunger and the tendency to over eat. This is especially true when combined with vegetable oils and sugar (PB&J would fit into this category).
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I admit,I am not a water fan. I force myself to drink it now,at least 64 ounces a day,but it doesnt really do anything for my hunger

Iced tea, Iced coffee or other sugar free beverages can be substituted for plain water. You could also try adding a little bit of flavor such as a basil leaf, some fresh lavender and citrus fruit to your water and allow it to sit overnight to absorb the flavors.

If you really need the sweetness, try adding Crystal Light or other sugar free flavoring to your water to insure you are getting enough to prevent dehydration. Try cutting back on the portions, like using only half the recommended amount so that you can slowly adjust your tastes to plain old water.

Oh! I almost forgot!

Are you getting enough sleep (7-8 hours a night)? Sleep deprivation can cause us to overeat and feel more hungry.
  • morf13
    Options

Oh! I almost forgot!

Are you getting enough sleep (7-8 hours a night)? Sleep deprivation can cause us to overeat and feel more hungry.

I have read that,and for years now,I have been a 4-6 hour a night sleeper. For the last 3 nights, I have gotten 7-8 hours of sleep,and my new rule is to make that an every night pattern
  • morf13
    Options
    I started this thread yesterday, on day 3 of my diet. Today is day 4, and I have felt a noticed drop in my hunger. Before my diet, I was always hungry,and always craving. I would wake up ready to eat, but today,I wasn't hungry at all. I had to force myself to eat a 200 calorie breakfast because I know it is not good to skip meals.Now, it's lunchtime, and I was a little hungry,and just ate a 400 calorie lunch,and feel full and satisfied. I am hoping that my hunger stays squashed, because I think it will be amajor aide in my weight loss. When I get really hungry,that's when I tend to eat bad. Don't know if my stomach has 'shrunk', but my appetite has. Thanks for all of the input
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I find fasting for a day or 2 is like hitting the "reset" button on hunger
  • BBme425
    BBme425 Posts: 19
    Options
    water! when my stomach growls I go for water. It has helped in the long run :) mine has shrunk without me noticing!!

:drinker:

I Agree. I am drinking more water now..It really helps :smile:
  • morf13
    Options
    Drinking alot of water too, with splash of lemon juice.
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    Dude,

1) It is not a diet, diet sounds temporary, it is a new way of thinking, anda new attitude to food in general, therefore its a life change.
    2) You should rarely be hungry. Do you have any idea what 300calories of vegetables looks like? It'd like 1-2 plates. Compared to one chocolate bar. Eat right and educate yourself and you'll find you don't have to do this being constantly hungry. If you are hungry you are unhappy and WILL fail.

Eat right and think positive .and you will be happy. And have a fumble.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    It varies for me. Usually when I start a new diet I am super-motivated and satisfied with little. But some days I can eat exactly what satisfied me a few days ago, and I'm starving all day.
  • Sweetpickles99
    Options
    I found this on WEB MD^^^^^2. Myth or Fact: If you cut down on your food intake, you'll eventually shrink your stomach so you won't be as hungry.

Answer: Myth. Once you are an adult, your stomach pretty much remains the same size -- unless you have surgery to intentionally make it smaller. Eating less won't shrink your stomach, says Moyad, but it can help to reset your "appetite thermostat" so you won't feel as hungry, and it may be easier to stick with your eating plan.
  • katiedid1226
    katiedid1226 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I just want to wish you well!

This is a process...it takes time...(and I'm in a hurry)...forgive yourself for the mistakes YOU WILL MAKE, then get back to business.

Protein, water, veggies...and lots of 'em!

NEVER EVER QUIT.