1 week and gained 1.2lbs ?

Options
Ok so im trying not to get too hung up on this. Im 30, 5'8 and 205 lbs to start. I eat within my cals most days but when I have gobe over its onky been 50-100 cals over. I have started eating healthy and exercising faithfully 1 wk ago and on weigh in I am 1.2lbs heavier. I tell myself its water retention because I started working out. Is this most lijely the case or should I be looking at other things?

Replies

• nicosuave2013
    nicosuave2013 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    How much are you working out? are you eating enough to fuel your energy levels?
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Water retention, most likely, either from some extra sodium, you're muscles stretching out, an impending period, etc etc. You're right on target with your theory.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Yes, look at water retention first. Also evaluate whether you are being absolutely consistent with your food log. I sometimes find myself taking extra little bites, nibbles, and licks, each one so small that it doesn't count, but at the end of the day a number of those "little" indiscretions can add up to a lot. So avoid that stuff.

And get plenty of fluids/water.
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    be patient, and open your food diary, it would help for any advice.
  • brookesmommy2006
    brookesmommy2006 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Im doing 30 day shred so thats about 25mins a day. Im eating all the cals mfp says and my exercise cals back. It estimates me at 1300 cals a day then with exercise I add 300, so 1500 cals a day. I dont know if thats enough or not.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    It's been a week. No concrete conclusions can be made after one week. Relax and trust the process
  • NachoEverydayChick
    NachoEverydayChick Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Water weight from working out is one contributor, and a second likely possibility is that it's food/water in your digestive system. When you change to a new diet, it takes your digestive system a little lag time to catch up. It takes 75-80 hours to fully digest a meal, and if you've recently started eating more fiber (which is likely with a 'healthier' approach) it's very likely that the volume of food and waste product in your system has increased- which is what it's supposed to do, it's a good thing. Or none of that could be true, and 1.2 lbs could be a regular daily fluctuation. Just be patient- if you're getting active, eating appropriate calories, and correctly logging your food and exercise, it will work. 1.2lbs is nothing to worry about.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Im doing 30 day shred so thats about 25mins a day. Im eating all the cals mfp says and my exercise cals back. It estimates me at 1300 cals a day then with exercise I add 300, so 1500 cals a day. I dont know if thats enough or not.

Sounds like you are on the right track. I know it's hard to start out and not see a difference, but just relax and give it a couple of weeks. Water retention from working out, btw, should be gone within 48 hours, so the best time to weigh yourself would be, say first thing Monday morning if your last workout was Friday.

(Edited to appease my ocd tendencies)