Beginners questions. :D

Options
Today i was at a friends house and ate pancakes and sausage and scrambled eggs but it was all homemade, how do i know how much calories it was??
also does it really matter what you eat.. as long as its at the goal calorie count?

Replies

• nicosuave2013
    nicosuave2013 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    the food database here is really good...the eggs should be easy enough. Do you what make the pancakes n sausages were? if not pick something similar...to at least give you an idea.

Eating your calorie intake in junk is not a good idea.....your body wont get the nutrients it needs from junk
  • ShaniWulffe
    ShaniWulffe Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I would just look up the foods you ate and guesstimate. Or, if you're close to this person, ask if they can help you figure out the nutrition info. And for your second question... No, from a pure weight-loss standpoint, it does not matter what you eat
  • hastinbe
    hastinbe Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    All you can do is make your best guess. Sausage and eggs are easier to predict you just need to know the quantity and search them in the database. Homemade pancakes can be very difficult, all you can do it make your best guess which is easier to do if you make your own pancakes because you can guestimate amount of ingredients by the thickness, diameter, fluffiness, bitterness.. To top it off, you have syrup and butter to add as well. Syrup can vary greatly as well, you'd need to know the brand. In the event that you can't figure out anything, just look for pancake recipes on the net and use those values and overestimate a little.

If you're just watching calories and macronutrients (protein, fat, carbs), then no it doesn't really matter. But your health and fitness goals will be affected by what you eat.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I just snag the highest calorie option from the database (to cover recipe variations like butter and oil) and log that. Technically, you can eat Twinkies and lose weight. But you'll find as time goes on, you'll naturally reach for the healthier stuff because it keeps you fuller for waaaaaay longer. (400 calories on a doughnut that will fill me for 10 minutes or 400 calories on a turkey sandwich that will get me to dinner? Turkey almost every time!)
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    As I understand in terms of losing weight, as long as you keep within your calorie range, you can eat anything.

In terms of your health and how you feel, it's best to make an effort to have a balanced and nutritious diet.
  • marthathebear
    Options
    In the food database if you scroll down there is usually either generic or homemade whatever listed. I think as long as you stay within your calories, fats and whatever else it lists you can pretty much enjoy food. Log everything and all your exercise each day. The calorie deficit is where you lose weight. 40 pounds for me. Good luck, stick with it and you will see results.
  • UncleRiotous
    Options
    There are things that will make it easier to eat less calories than other things for example I try to stay clear of sugar where possible as it jacks your insulin levels which tends to make you hungry. It's also worth checking what items are really low in calories (courgette and mushroom for example) which means you know what you can fill up on when you don't have many calories left in a day.