Has anyone out there tried Intermittent Fasting "IF"

Options
I heard some people at the Gym talking about this and would like to see some people's opinion about it.

Replies

• Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    As I mentioned in another post, I have a couple of days a week when I eat mostly fruits and veggies, and it's maybe 1000 calories total. What scares me about genuine fasting is that eventually your body goes into "starvation mode" and starts burning calories more slowly. That's not what you want! I also do pretty vigorous workouts and want the energy to continue them.

I did find that the low-calorie days have gotten me off the instant response to hunger: "I need munchies, I need protein, etc." and I'm more likely to live with a feeling of mild hunger than immediately going off in search of food. That's been a very good change. I've decided against any true fasting, though.
  • mindbodystrength
    Options
    I tried it for a month. I believe it's a solid program, however I began to resent the fact that I wasn't "allowed" to eat breakfast, and eventually went back to the "5-6 small meals a day" way of eating. IF works for MANY people though. If it's a comfortable way for you to live and eat, go for it!! :flowerforyou:
  • brooks124u
    brooks124u Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Good point,I guess your body needs to have fuel to burn.I am on 1800 cal a day diet and hit it 5 days a week at the gym.I have lost 70 lbs. so I think I will continue with what I'm doing.No 'IF' FOR ME.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    I've been doing 20/4 since last summer and I love it. I fast all day, work out, eat a huge dinner (practically whatever I want), then go to sleep on a very full stomach.
  • mindbodystrength
    Options
    As I mentioned in another post, I have a couple of days a week when I eat mostly fruits and veggies, and it's maybe 1000 calories total. What scares me about genuine fasting is that eventually your body goes into "starvation mode" and starts burning calories more slowly. That's not what you want! I also do pretty vigorous workouts and want the energy to continue them.

I did find that the low-calorie days have gotten me off the instant response to hunger: "I need munchies, I need protein, etc." and I'm more likely to live with a feeling of mild hunger than immediately going off in search of food. That's been a very good change. I've decided against any true fasting, though.

IF is not really "fasting" though...you simply eat all your alloted calories during a 6-8 hour window each day, but you're still eating the SAME amount of food. It works well for people who like to eat larger meals, and who like to eat a big dinner, but aren't really fans of breakfast. Most people have a "feeding window" from like noon-8 p.m., or 1-9 p.m....whatever they decide. But they are NOT starving themselves...TRUST ME, I never would've tried it otherwise. People who do IF generally LOVE to eat...and eat large meals...that's (one of the reasons) why they do it. :)
  • markandna
    Options
    ME!! I am a huge huge fan of intermittent fasting!! I have researched it extensively too. There are so many benefits. I don't know if I am suppose to post links here, but if you go to my blog sayonara body fat (all one word) dot blogspot dot com I have posted a lot of information and links regarding intermittent fasting... even posted a couple articles just today.
  • markandna
    Options
    Actually there are many different ways of intermittent fasting that are all referred to by that term. My favorite is Brad Pilon's "Eat Stop Eat" program which you can google if interested. He recommends fasting for a 24 hour period once or twice a week. So you still eat every day. I do it from dinner one day until dinner the next during fasting days. I try to do at least once a week, but shoot for twice.
  • mindbodystrength
    Options
    Actually there are many different ways of intermittent fasting that are all referred to by that term. My favorite is Brad Pilon's "Eat Stop Eat" program which you can google if interested. He recommends fasting for a 24 hour period once or twice a week. So you still eat every day. I do it from dinner one day until dinner the next during fasting days. I try to do at least once a week, but shoot for twice.

That's true. I was referencing Berkhan's Leangains program...I should have specified that. :)
  • towens00
    towens00 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,719 Member
    Options
    I do a "form" of it. No breakfast and eat my calorie allowance from 12pm to 11pm. Usually in about 3 meals.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • BigH89
    BigH89 Posts: 44
    Options
    Yes, and it's very good when on a caloric deficit for restricting hunger.

Depends how much you like breakfast though..
    I find myself far more productive in a fasted state throughout the day too, and so I've stuck with it since my last diet.
    That's true. I was referencing Berkhan's Leangains program...I should have specified that. :)

i.e. the best, and the guy who popularised IF.
  • taylorwaylor
    taylorwaylor Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Kinda want to try it..... Maybe once i hit a platoue or whatever first... I don't want to chance anything now that i've finally started losing weight again!
  • brooks124u
    brooks124u Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Great advice guys ,thanks so much!!!
  • emills1970
    emills1970 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I fast for 16 hours and I have a feeding window of 8 hours. I eat my last meal at 8PM every night and then I break the fast at 12 noon. It's been working for me. I just started this last week and I've already lost 4.6 pounds. You can set yours up anyway you would like to fit around your schedule, but I really love it.
  • Bumbeen
    Bumbeen Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I don't think the benefits are that great. I had a very hard time getting all my calories in in such a short period.
  • Breizier
    Breizier Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I though the point of IF was to restrict our calories not eat them in a smaller window of time. The benefits like most things are NOT short term NOR about dieting, but putting your body in repair mode. It is supposed to get your body repairing cell damage thus slowing down the ageing process and reducing cancer the chances of various cancers. Weight loss is a side effect.
  • BigH89
    BigH89 Posts: 44
    Options
    I though the point of IF was to restrict our calories not eat them in a smaller window of time. The benefits like most things are NOT short term NOR about dieting, but putting your body in repair mode. It is supposed to get your body repairing cell damage thus slowing down the ageing process and reducing cancer the chances of various cancers. Weight loss is a side effect.

The point of any weight loss diet is obviously to lose weight.. Achieved by remaining in a caloric deficit.

The beauty of IF is that by fasting you increase your Grehlin sensitivity, which regulates appetite and metabolism. Also more alertness through the day due to not digesting.

As long as you're in a caloric deficit it makes little difference whether you eat it in one meal or 20, really.

As for preventing cancers and slowing the ageing process.. I have no idea, the science on that is forever changing.

And repair mode? Please explain? If you're referring to protein synthesis then it's unaffected by IF.
  • Christabel789
    Options
    Hi
    I have reading about this and started 2 weeks ago. I was never a breakfast person so its easy for not to eat until 12noon. My aim is to get rid of fat around my abdomen and get fit. I understand fasting forces the body to break down fat and reduce glycogen, especially if you exercise while fasted.
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I don't think the benefits are that great. I had a very hard time getting all my calories in in such a short period.

I think that's the idea! You eat less because you spend less time eating.

And I agree with the people who say they're more focused/energetic on the fast days. I've found that with my own system, too.
  • DatNative21
    DatNative21 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    i do it because i hate cooking 6 meals a day,,,,its a joke 3 meals well i hate breakfast so yea no more 3 meals a day either i feel more focused the fat is literally melting off