Replies

• SweetToothMelissa
    SweetToothMelissa Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    bump
  • nekoface
    nekoface Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    My mother used to make me toast pizzas - a slice of bread with tomato sauce and vegetables (and sometimes prawn or mince), some mozzarella cheese and baked in an oven. I've also used tortilla wraps. They get crispy when you bake them.
  • Stdavis53
    Stdavis53 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I use Flatout brand flatbreads as the base for my pizza's. Only 90-140 calories depending on what flavors you use and they taste pretty excellent!
  • Katbody10
    Katbody10 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I've been wanting to try cauliflower crusts and spaghetti squash crusts for a healthy option to dough crust pizzas! I hear they're delicious!! I won't post recipes as I haven't tried them yet .. so I don't want to share something that may not be so good :laugh:
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    You got an indian restaurant in town? Go buy you a "Naan" (NO butter added)

put on the base you like. Home made sauce (I can give you a recipe of that too at the bottom) or my fav is just some olive oil drizzled. Add toppings. I prefer tomatoes, some grilled chicken olives (green/black don't matter), some onions, some feta cheese. Add some mozerella shove it in the oven.

Don't have naan at home? No problem. Replace with vertical halves of baguette (is that how its spelled? The long french bread thats in every grocery bag of any movie)

BAM! You got a pizza!

sauce: In very little oil, saute onion and 1 whole red pepper (NOT flakes), and 1-2 garlic. After saute, add a can of tomato puree (I think its like 30 oz?). Add some balsamic vinegar and salt. Simmer for 10 minuets. Take off the heat. Add some Basil if you want. TADA! Good sauce for speghetti too or add some meatballs and make a meatball sammich.

Hulk made himself hungry :(

A naan without butter.

I'd rather not live in this world. :sad:

My favorite healthy pizza toppings:

sliced tomatoes
    fat free or 2% mozzarella, lightly applied
    teensiest bit of minced roasted garlic
    fresh basil

I can even smell it as I type.

Pizza crust made with minimal ingredients is not bad for you at all. Basically water, flour, salt, a touch of olive oil and yeast.
  • cfregon
    cfregon Posts: 147
    Options
    I use store bought whole wheat thin crust (It's pre-made which isn't always the best, but it's okay) and make a taco pizza- take the crust, put on a layer of bean mash of choice (vegetarian refried, mashed pinto, any variety really) and a layer of cheese if you'd like. Bake at 350 for about 10 minutes, then top with lettuce, tomato, onion, cooked meat if you'd like (which I suppose could go on before), maybe some salsa.

Also, bake a whole grain pita until crispy and top with avocado and laughing cow (I'll take the yield of a whole avocado and two chipotle light laughing cow wedges, put them in a bowl and mash with a potato masher. Add a little lemon juice, then store- should be good for 2-3 pitas easily) top with any number of goodies- sprouts, pesto, tomato, cucumber, onion, etc. Super tasty!
  • niftyafterfifty
    niftyafterfifty Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    What makes me sad is all these crazy substitutes for real pizza crust. Never will I eat cauliflower, pita, tortilla, or anything else in replace of pizza crust. YUCK!!! It doesn't taste like pizza at all.

King Arthur Flour - Traditional Whole Wheat Flour, 2/3 cup
    King Arthur Flour - Unbleached All Purpose Flour, 2/3 cup (30g)
    Fleischmann's - Highly Active Dry Yeast, 1 tsp
    Spices - Salt, table, 2/3 tsp
    Generic - Sugar - White Granulated, pinch
    Olive Oil - Extra Virgin, 2 tsp

Total: 674 calories 116g carbs, 10g fat, 22g protein

I copied that from my recipes on this website. The whole dough has those nutrition facts, and use all of it to make a 16" pizza. Oftentimes I will make 2 smaller pizzas, about 10" each, but the dough will be thicker then. That makes each pizza crust 337 calories. And if you don't eat the entire pizza, obviously it's even less.

To make it, mix the flours, sugar, and salt in a big bowl. In a small bowl, activate the yeast in water and add the oil. Combine the 2 bowls together and knead it into a nice ball of dough. I personally like to let it sit in the bowl soaking in hot water for about an hour or so, but you don't technically have to. That's just what I was told to do earlier in life when you use yeast to make dough or bread.

I personally like to cook it for a couple of minutes after it is rolled before I add sauce and toppings to make it more crispy, but again, you don't have to. It's personal preference. If you don't, the dough might come out so tender the toppings fall off when you pick up a piece. I cook it at about 450 degrees.

This looks amazing; thanks so much for sharing the recipe. I'm pleasantly surprised that the entire crust has so few calories.
  • MrsBikiniBound
    Options
    If i want pizza every once in a while i opt for thin crust with veggies.

however, if i want to replace the crust i have made cauliflower crust and it was really good- also low carb wraps toasted up and portabella mushroom caps.

For toppings i use fresh tomatoes, home made pesto, low fat mozarella, goat cheese, spinach, feta cheese, peppers, onions, garlic.... yum
  • larabell69
    Options
    Bumb!!
  • sazzet
    sazzet Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I'm on the low GI diet. This is a recipe I use from one of my low Gi cookbooks. I live in Egypt and I usually can't find the ingredients people use on MFP , like different types of flour, but this recipe was a blessing. The recipe uses phyllo pastry which I lightly oil with olive oil. I found the same recipe on the net. This is the link. http://cookeatshare.com/recipes/phyllo-garden-pizza-635210/external

I don't use 10 phyllo sheets. I only use 3.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    5 meat pizza. :)
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I love pizza.
    I take a sandwich round by Village Hearth, Italian Herb.
    Toast the two halves in the oven.
    Top with 1 TBSP of pizza sauce on each half.
    Top with veggies ( I like onions and peppers)
    1 TBSP of low fat mozzarella shredded cheese.
    Sprinkle with hot pepper flakes.
    Bake until cheese is melted.
    It is so yummy and satisfies my pizza craving for under 200 calories.
  • ItsCathywithaC
    Options
    I love pizza.
    I take a sandwich round by Village Hearth, Italian Herb.
    Toast the two halves in the oven.
    Top with 1 TBSP of pizza sauce on each half.
    Top with veggies ( I like onions and peppers)
    1 TBSP of low fat mozzarella shredded cheese.
    Sprinkle with hot pepper flakes.
    Bake until cheese is melted.
    It is so yummy and satisfies my pizza craving for under 200 calories.

Newbie here!

This is what I do but I use the Arnold multi grain Sandwich thins (100 cal for 1 bun)

I don't care for English muffin pizzas, these are better then those.

Also Lean Cuisines has a yummy pizza too if your just looking for something frozen.
  • Lesliew134
    Options
    Trader Joe's has a whole wheat crust in a bag that you just let rise, roll out and bake. Just use a little tomato sauce, and you can use turkey pepperoni, mushrooms, vegetables, or Canadian Bacon for toppings, and low-fat (2%) mozzarella.
  • ryzeman
    ryzeman Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower crust - http://yourlighterside.com/cauliflower-pizza-crust-with-gourmet-vegetarian-toppings/

Been wanting to try this for some time, I've seen it on Pinterest over and over

We have tried the cauliflower pizza crust and love it! We top it with pesto and a bit o' cheese- mmmmm!
  • Wuggums
    Wuggums Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    When I want pizza, I want *real* pizza. No cauliflower, tortillas, english muffins, portobello crusts. Real pizza...real dough, real sauce, real cheese, real meat. And I want my homemade deep dish pizza, not takeout. My deep dish - with dough made from scratch with semolina, homemade fresh tomato sauce, part-skim mozzarella, turkey pepperoni and chicken sausage - comes to a mere 350 or so calories for one massive meal sized slice. And it's far better than any take out pizza you'll ever have!!
  • krebsi
    krebsi Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    weight watchers have a nice recipe.

i lke to use wholegrain flour for my pizza. i do this quite a lot and it is pretty healthy..

for the dough
    290g flour
    pinch of salt
    7g dried yeast
    150ml warm water

thats what i think a lovely pizza base...

i have to say that i dont like american style pizza... i prefer the italian thin way...
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    A tortilla
  • MrsBobaFett
    MrsBobaFett Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Mmmm pizza!
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I use the Joseph's pita pockets to make mine, I just don't cut them open, and use them as a crust and they work great. I make two, because I'm a big guy. So with useing two of those, and putting about 2 oz of chicken on each one, it ends up at 404 calories which is enough food for my dinner, and provieds a good amount of protein with 51 grams, and 23 grams of carbs. A little high in Sodium though at 1500mgs.