Complete Gym Idiot! Need Help!

Options
So I joined the gym recently. I take yoga classes and kettlebells and that's great. But I have no clue what I should be doing with the gym equipment. I usually hop on a treadmill at 4.0 incline and 3.8 speed setting for 40 minutes. That makes me break a sweat but I have no clue what to do in regards to the weight machines. I've kinda played around with the leg press, arm curl, etc but I need help. Can someone tell me a rotation to do or something. I want to lose weight and firm up my muscles. Tone, not bulk. :)

Thanks!

Replies

• SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Normally, when you join a gym ou get some kind of induction where they show you how to use stuff.

It is probably best to be shown rather than try and interpret what somebody has written. Perhaps ask at the desk?
  • tattoogrrl28
    Options
    It's not that I don't know how to use the machines. I just don't know how many reps, what kind of weight, and what machines to be using in order to get to my goal of getting toned up and losing 15 pounds faster.

Plus, my gym is the YMCA and I don't think they have a trainer available or anything.
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    It's not that I don't know how to use the machines. I just don't know how many reps, what kind of weight, and what machines to be using in order to get to my goal of getting toned up and losing 15 pounds faster.

Plus, my gym is the YMCA and I don't think they have a trainer available or anything.
    Wow, my YMCA has 6 or 7 personal trainers on the staff. Plus new members get all the equipments explained to them. You might want to ask.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options

they should! My gym is the YMCA too, and mine has a trainer and sometimes a fitness monitor on duty most of the day. Like someone comes in at 530am and is there until like 8pm. Ask at the desk...
  • tattoogrrl28
    Options
    I'll def ask. I just wanted to see if people on here might have had some ideas. Maybe stuff that worked for them. But I'll ask at the gym.
  • sarahrbraun
    Options
    I'll def ask. I just wanted to see if people on here might have had some ideas. Maybe stuff that worked for them. But I'll ask at the gym.

not only do they HAVE trainers, but they should have a *fitstart* class that is free. i took the fitstart for the cable machines back in October. The trainer on duty took 3 of us and walked us through machines for 30 minutes on an assigned day for 3 weeks in a row. One day the other 2 guys did not show up, so I got a private session :D

Also, not sure about ALL the YMCA locations, but the trainer who works M-F mornings is a really sweet college aged guy. As long as he does not have a personal training client, he is more than happy to show me how to do something, check my form , or whatever. I haven't had a chance to actually HIRE him, but he has given me pointers or suggested machines quite a few times!
  • tattoogrrl28
    Options
    The main reason I asked on here is that I can be pretty shy when it comes to social interactions in real life. I don't know if I can ask some random guy at the gym to help me. I'm working on changing that part of myself, but its difficult.
  • sarahrbraun
    Options
    The main reason I asked on here is that I can be pretty shy when it comes to social interactions in real life. I don't know if I can ask some random guy at the gym to help me. I'm working on changing that part of myself, but its difficult.

but the trainers are not *random*...they wear shirts and name tags that identify them as staff--and helping with basic stuff is part of their job. Also, you never know, there might be a female trainer on staff who you can ask! Maybe you could ask at the sign in desk if they can set you up with a (preferably female) trainer or fitness staff member to show you the machines.

I can be kind of shy around strange men...but for some reason I feel comfortable around Justin ( the trainer)--maybe it is because he is practically young enough to be my son, or maybe it is because he is tall, but not overly muscled ( I think I heard he ran cross country in HS).