Overwhelmed & frustrated about my weight & food!

Options
I am new to site... Need help & encouragement...

I don't even know what to eat anymore...I go shopping & am totally overwhelmed & end up buying junk... I don't like to cook, usually get home tired from the day... just want something quick... u read & hear so many different things... I just want to lose weight & be healthy... I am actually VERY healthy accept for my weight...

Replies

• sokkache
    sokkache Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    How about cook a large meal on one night that you would be able to split into 3 days so all you have to do is heat it up the next few days and then you cook a big meal again. It's very helpful.
  • silkkat50
    silkkat50 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I find if you have time to cook (like the lady above said) big meals in one go, then you can split them over a few days, things that go well in the freezer and are quickly defrosted, you can take things out in the morning to eat at night. A lasagne for instance or bolognaise, you can make these really healthily and they freeze great, cut down on portion sizes and bobs your uncle!!
  • ECR1989
    ECR1989 Posts: 158
    Options
    There are lots of cookbooks you can try which advertise for quick meals - and as sokkache said, you could make big portions so that you don't need to cook from scratch everyday!

My advice to you is to plan every week what your meals are going to be - and do a huge weekly shop, but not when you're hungry. Stick to your shopping list, ask a friend to go with you if they'll help you from buying the junk food. If I don't have junk food in the house then I won't eat it, it's as simple as that. I have no self-restraint when it comes to crisps or biscuits or anything like that so I just don't buy it!

Don't be disheartened! Try less starchy carbs, and go for more wholemeal. Like brown pasta and rice for example. That you can just leave to cook on it's own. I just try to eat as much fresh produce as possible, and I go meat-free during most of the week, you might find that helps!
  • Mustaine4Pres
    Options
    my favorite meal is salmon and asparagus. stick both on a cookie sheet on top of foil at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes. I usually put some olive oil and salt on them before cooking. easy cleanup and healthy. I also find that cooking rice and meat ahead of time is a big help. I use the steamer bags...just throw in veggies and a little water and microwave. It is REALLY hard to change those bad habits...I've been trying for over a year and am just now making good progress on the eating. Good luck and feel free to add me.
  • JESSJESJ
    JESSJESJ Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    - shop the perimeter of the grocery store / less packaging generally = better food choices.
    - as people were mentioning above, cook big meals, break them up into serving sizes and freeze / eat as left overs. Roast 2 chickens on sunday with some veggies, then use the chicken in lunches, salads, and use the chicken bones to make a stock for soup.
    - prep your foods on sunday night.
    - you cna make oatmeal and have it all set for the week in individual containers in the fridge and then add nuts one day, frozen berries another - mix it up.
    - people love their crock pots too!
  • Born_2_Lose
    Born_2_Lose Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    How about cook a large meal on one night that you would be able to split into 3 days so all you have to do is heat it up the next few days and then you cook a big meal again. It's very helpful.

This is exactlly what I do. Also I eat a lot of RAW fruits and veggies, and salad. I freeze alot of things that Ive cooked, so all I have to do is thaw out and reheat (sort of healthy TV Dinner).
  • CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    For cooking quick - one night a week, either when you have the time or on the weekend/days off you have, cook up a large whole chicken or large hunk of pork, beef, etc. When it's done, separate it into portions and put into freezer bags. Toss one into the fridge to thaw on weekdays and use it to cook when you get home.

OR

Make full, large meals and separate them into single servings and freeze. Freezer containers and freezer bags work well. Thaw in fridge while you're at work, heat them up when you get home.

When you don't want to do that, keep healthy sandwich, salad, soup, etc ingredients in your fridge that you can throw together easily when you're home.

I use my crockpot almost daily, it's a wonderful tool for both cooking meals and just 'warming' :)
  • TheDarlingOne
    TheDarlingOne Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Hey pal! Glad you're reaching out and I hope I can throw some cool thoughts your way :)

I have found after 1 week of really giving the MFP program "the ol' college try" lol - is that you quickly find out - what's worth eating and what's not.

If you're like me, and you like to eat....quite honestly....in bulk haha - this is what i've found is super great:
    nature's own double fiber wheat bread = 50 cals a slice
    oscar meyer turkey meat = 3 slices = 50 cals (can vary of course if you go for ham instead, or different seasonings on turkey etc)
    dukes lite mayo = 50 cals 1 tablespoon
    frenchs classic yellow mustard = ZERO yes that's right ZERO calories lol
    baby spinach = 4 CUPS yes CUPS for 15 calories lol

So you get the filling fiber, the salty meat, the zing from the mustard, the creamy mayo and what i've recently discovered (because I thought I wasn't a sandwich girl but boy I THOUGHT WRONG lol) - you get the satisfying CRUNCH from the baby spinach on the sandwich.
    I have never been a fan of regular lettus since I discovered the beauty that is baby spinach. (talking dry spinach like to make a salad with - not from the can like Popeye haha)

So 1 of those is a grand 215 calories. Can't beat that. Go on and have 2 for a grand total of 430 cals if ya want! haha. or have the sandwich and say - a large banana at 130(or so) calories - dipped in some chocolate sauce (don't know the #'s on the sauce, but watch the serving size and keep it 150 or less --- and that w/ the sandwhich you got say 475 cals.

But you get what I'm getting at lol - pay attention to What's really worth eating. You'll be amazed.
    Not so much on the "what SHOULD i eat" like "what's politically correct to eat if i'm losing weight" lol - or "what are those "rules" again? etc....think about what's worth eating.

sometimes your body and mind will agree - I'VE BEEN AWESOME and I've lost 10lbs DANGIT that brownie is worth it lol - but...if it is worth it - just log the calories and keep at it friend!

Also you can feel free to add me if you want to chit chat :)
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I often make a gigantic salad and big pot of rice so that I have them for more than one meal. I love lots of stuff in my salad, so it's a good way to use leftovers - grated cheese, chopped meat, cooked vegetables, etc.
  • Lorilooo
    Options
    I definitely concentrate my grocery shopping on the outer ring of the store. I buy lots of fresh vegetables and steam them each night in Ziploc Steamer Bags (http://www.ziploc.com/Products/Pages/ZipSteamMicrowaveCookingBags.aspx). (I don't think I'd be able to live without them so I buy them off Amazon because they're cheaper there.) I will add those veggies to some protein that I either made on my George Foreman grill or that I baked on the Sunday to eat all week (pork tenderloin, roast turkey breast, baked chicken). My dinners usually take about 15 mins to throw together.

My breakfasts are mostly frozen blueberries or fresh strawberries with lowfat vanilla yogurt, some wheat germ, and a low sodium V8. My lunches are usually Progresso Light soups along with some fresh fruit and a serving of cheese.

I'm trying to eat as few 'white' foods as possible. I make my breakfasts and lunches during the week the night before so all I have to do is throw it in my PackIt and go! My diary is public so if you want to take a look feel free. I'm sure it's boring compared to a lot of others' but it's working for me so far. :)

If it's all so overwhelming, perhaps you could concentrate on one meal at a time. For a couple of weeks, work out your breakfasts and then move on to your lunches, etc. Once you get a routine down it's a lot easier!

Edited to add - Definitely get a food scale if you don't already have one and use it!!!! Overestimating portion sizes is a problem many people have including myself! My food scale and logging keeps me honest with myself.
  • janatarnhem
    janatarnhem Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Hi, I know what you mean - it is so confusing - one minute something is good for you and then it isn't. Like low fat foods and then you find that they have loads of sugar. And the butter verses low fat spreads debate. Honestly, it gets on my wick. I have decided to "take time out" and do diet chef because I am tired of the supermarkets. Their " buy one -get -one- free" mentality, the offers on junk food drives me to distraction. Also, there is a constant stream of news items about what to eat and what to avoid hat I find confusing to say the least. I'm hoping to lose some weight, enjoy good food and re engage with good weight loss recipes. My meagre advice would be to shut your ears and go back to the basics of what you think is a healthy, weight loss diet for yourself.
    Good luck and hope this helps....
  • karlalband
    karlalband Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Mezzta
    Mezzta Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hey there. I'm also new at this 'changing meals' and 'exercising' planning'. It's tough. But I found laziness got the best of me over the past year. Over 2 years ago. I had lost 16 kilos (roughly 35 pounds) in 10 months by using portion sizes and working out daily. That wasn't even eating healthy, just eating less. I found it harder to keep up with that. Eating too little is not good, as you start to get hungry. Then binge on the naughty foods. I got lazy; let myself fall back into the habit for snacking on chocolates and Macca's fries. I put 10 kilos (22 pounds) back on in in less than 4 months. So over Christmas this year I started making changes I eat a lot of salads. (both warm vegies and fresh) They might take a good 15 mins to chop up ingredients. 5 if your fast (I'm slow) With the vegies, if you don't like them raw. Then boil them just a little, put in a bowl, add lemon salt and very little Olive Oil, toss and there's a salad made. Whilst you are making that, grill meat... Spray some Olive Oil on meat of your choice, be it chicken or any meat, so long as it's lean. Ask your butcher to trim the fat for you. They're happy to do so. Grilling meat only takes 6 mins one side, turn over and 6 mins on the other. (less if you like) So 12 mins for your meat and at the same time, making your vegies or salad. Might take you all of 15 to 23 mins to create. These meals you can create when you are tired after work. But don't go past making some great meals on the weekend and freezing as others have mentioned. I use these meals for dinner, I haven't quite worked out my lunches, but try to keep them margarine/butter free and add plenty of fresh lettuce, tomoatoes or cucumber on 2 slices of wholemeal bread. I usually boil 3 eggs for breakfast in the morning, whilst I am getting ready for work. If I forget to put them on and I am rushing around with the kids in the morning. I eat a piece of fruit.

The life of a parent is hectic, but use baby steps. As someone else has already mentioned, start with one meal time first. I started with dinner. My dinners are now not even thought about. I do admit to buying in bulk, so everything is at my fingertips. I have even improvised, when I was low on certain ingredients and created a vegie meal, the family love. (By accident) Tossing what ever I had in the fridge and my only 'must' is to keep plenty of mixed vegies or salad ingredients of any kind in the refrigorator. This way, if I forget meat or am out of meat. I just create a large vegie meal, add some rice and a vegetarian meal will suffice on the stressed days.

Where there is a will; there is a way. I hope that this has helped. Feel free to add me on your friends list if you wish.

I haven't posted any of my quick vegie meals recipes yet. But intend doing so over the next few weeks. When I write down what I actually do.

Forgot to mention. Water, drink plenty off it.

Raise a glass of water with me.
    Cheers
    Mary

Edited to add
  • etronics6
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all of your input...it ALL helps! Have a great evening!