Looking for "losers".. who wants to be friends?

Options
Heya MFP friends!

I'm new around these parts... have tried WW online, SparkPeople... you name it! After hearing great things about MFP from facebook friends, reading reviews online about MFP versus other programs, and reading through some of the boards here, everyone seems super nice, encouraging and this seems like the right place to be... so I thought I'd give MFP a shot! Today is day one!

I'm a small town country girl transplanted in our Nation's Capital. I currently work a full time job, part time job and other special events on the side when I can while trying to pay off my ridiculous student loans and the debt I racked up working on my Bachelors and Masters degrees. My full time job is a "desk job" and about a year ago, I had a custom stand up desk installed so that I'm not sitting on my butt all day and it encourages me to move around as much as possible.

I have about 85 pounds to lose before I hit "ideal weight", so this is going to be a long journey. I'm going to need some pals that I can lean on and that I can help out in return. I'm looking for super frugal ways to eat healthy and get in shape!

Who's comin' with me??

Replies

• olsondre
    olsondre Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Welcome and wish you well with your goals!
  • emilyc85
    emilyc85 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Go ahead and add me :)
    I have another 70 to go :)
  • VTLois
    VTLois Posts: 49
    Options
    Welcome from another New MFPer! I am probably a bit older than you, but I used to be your age and know what you're talking about! (well, except for the stand up desk, I've never heard of that one.)

I can be pretty frugal. What kinds of things do you like to eat? Do you have to eat out a lot? Stay tuned!
  • tink9881
    tink9881 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hello! I figure we're all paddling in a similar boat regardless of age. I'm up for any and all suggestions!

I'm pretty much open to anything and love cooking when I can find the time. Fresh herbs are our friends! I've been trying to completely avoid super cheap, processed foods with additives and all the "crap" that we don't really need and am mostly going for "whole foods" when I can. The tricky part is that I'm of course finding that getting produce and super perishable items requires me to go to the grocery store more often... which is tough when I'm working so much. I love all kinds of different fruits (even the weird exotic ones) but I know with that comes the "sugar" that we're warned about. Trying to find new ways to prepare veggies and meat for quick meals.

Another obstacle I'm encountering is cooking for ONE is tough. My boyfriend of 9.5 years is on a contract in Texas for the next 9 months, so this "cooking for one" thing is somewhat new and I'm going to need to look for some creative ideas so that I'm not stuck eating the same thing for 4 days in a row. lol.

I rarely eat out unless I'm working a double shift of 14+ hours and haven't had the time to pack 2 meals for on the road. Luckily DC has a ton of healthy options and "fast food drive thrus" are not a problem for me.

PS... the stand up desk is AWESOME! My full time job would be 8 hours of sitting in front of a computer but my back began hurting and I noticed that I had a ridiculous slouch while I was hunched over my computer. Standing has forced me to improve my posture and I stand on one of those gel chef's mats so that my feet don't hurt. I take small breaks to sit, sit on my lunch break to eat or if I have paperwork that needs to be done. I also generally have music on for most of the day so sometimes I catch myself moving to the music. hee hee. Yep... I'm the office weirdo and I get a lot of looks when people come into my office... maybe they have "standing" envy?? :)
  • emersmurf
    Options
    Hi and welcome! Feel free to add me. I have 70 lbs to shed. I'm working on portion control and Leslie Sansone workouts. Today is the start of week 2. =)
  • janet800
    janet800 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hey count me in too,I'm just getting started and could use the encouragement of some friends.
    I probably need to lose 70 lbs,but 50 would be awesome.:smile:
  • Ootjers
    Options
    I am willing to be your friend
  • sweetysmum
    sweetysmum Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me
  • nickcavegirl
    nickcavegirl Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'l happily join you all :) I'm bright and shiny new too, and could do with some good encouragement to get going. I have been on and off diets for the past 10 years, and I'm hoping that totally changing the way I think about food will help me out. I want to lose 50 pounds...
  • pinkjennybean
    pinkjennybean Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm new too, let's do this!
  • stormynytes4ever
    stormynytes4ever Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Always looking for new friends on this journey! :)
  • Niharika_sri
    Niharika_sri Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Welcome.. M just about to complete a month here now! I have 76 pounds to go.. Started off with 81 to lose :)
    I like to motivate people coz it keeps me up too! I can be a great friend. Anyone is free to add me, m on here most of the time
  • TSheyka64
    Options
    Hello. You can add me. I'm from the nations capital, too. Have lived in Florida for the past 9 years now and just started MFP last week. I've also started an exercise routine (Zumba class and Zumba Fitness on Wii) last week too. I'm about to start a boot camp fitness regimen as well. My goal is to lose 35 pounds by the time I finish school in June and before I leave for my summer vacay to Aruba. If Nyone is in the Jacksonville area and want to be exercise buddies, please add me to your friends list. We can all use a little help/encouragement along the way.
  • PDiddy0913
    Options
    Welcome! Feel free to add me!
  • Vercell
    Vercell Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    welcome you can add me if you like.
  • Mezzta
    Mezzta Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hey good luck with it all.
    Free to add me too.
    Cheers
    Mary
    :)
  • lassie42
    Options
    Hey there....Feel free to add me as well. Trying to get back on track again after a really crappy 6 months. Looking forward to getting healthier, and offering support and encouragement to people in the same boat. :)
  • LeahRandom
    LeahRandom Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I love that when I saw the title of this thread, I knew it would be full of awesome people.
  • titanium2012
    Options
    Go ahead and add me! I've got around 15-20 to go. I log everyday and try to consistently share positivity with all my mfp friends.
  • leesa_fairy
    leesa_fairy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    wow this is awesome as ive been using the mobile app for a few months didnt realise there were forums on here with like minded people! my mum has it too on her ipad but it doesnt seem to work for her. having it on my phone is brilliant to zap things whilst im out and make better decisions. hello from a snow ridden England!!!