This crap sucks and there's nothing I can do about it.....

Options
Discouraged...want to quit but I know I can't. Don't lose any weight for like 2 weeks around TOM and I can't handle it. Trying my hardest and I step on the scale this morning and it says even more than last week >.< But I can wait 30 minutes and get on again and it goes down like 1 to 1.5 lbs...I'm so confused and all I want is just to be happy and I am NOT F'ING HAPPY! >.< I don't know what else to do, and this site is the only reason I'm not just saying f*** it and having a cheeseburger right now >.< UGH!!!!!!

Replies

• skygoddess86
    skygoddess86 Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Um whats TOM? Sorry you're having a time. Sounds like your weighing in too much and obsessing about the scale. Can you try to quit that for a bit? Do you take measurements?
  • workingitout
    workingitout Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Quit weighing but keep working hard at exercise and good nutrition. Then weigh in about two weeks and you will be pleasantly surprised by a nice drop. This is the way it works for me because I also got discouraged by my daily weigh ins. Now I just say to myself, "I know I am losing weight and looking better. I can't wait to weigh in a few weeks and have this confirmed!"
  • «lindsay»
    Options
    I get discouraged all the time, then I give myself a little mental kick in the behind, and off I go. One day at a time, that is all I can give you. :flowerforyou: (Well, and this flower, also...:laugh:)
  • SimonLondon
    SimonLondon Posts: 350
    Options
    I created a post earlier today about scales. Initially my inches and waistline were working in unison but as I get closer to my happy weight the scales don't move and yet the inches still reduce (Lost 2 inches on waist but only 1lb lost according to scales).

Scales for women are a nightmare especially with the TOM. Don't panic as I am sure it will balance itself out again in a couple of weeks.
  • DanOhh
    DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I know it sucks but it happens to everybody. Your body's adjusting and as you probably already know you're adding some muscle mass which is good and then your body will adjust again and you'll start loosing weight again. Keep on going!
  • niki7g
    niki7g Posts: 41
    Options
    Oh don't be sad ... it happens to the best of us ... you have done so well ... so don't you worry ....
    Mine sometimes does that but I now weigh myself once a week ..because, apparently, different times of day you weigh different anyway! Don't know why or how I just know you do ...
    So chin up .. look forwards ... and most of all be happy!

Take care!
    xx
  • votrubem
    votrubem Posts: 27
    Options
    If your scale is doing that, then it's probably not calibrated right. My scale did stuff like that and when I went to the doctor I found out that it was saying I was three pounds heavier than I actually was (which made my afternoon).

Also, to break the plateau, try the zig zag routine to confuse your body and keep your metabolism in hyper-drive. Basically eat very few calories today and then make up what calories you don't eat tomorrow. For example, if you're supposed to be on a 1500 calorie diet, eat around 1200-1300 calories today, and then tomorrow eat around 1700. And just keep doing that until you see a break in the plateau.
  • AmberElaine84
    AmberElaine84 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Don't get discouraged..and DON'T get a cheeseburger...lol!!! I've had this happen MANY MANY times, and you've just got to push through it!! Take measurements, eat healthy, work out as much as you can. You can do this! Make sure you are tracking all that you eat and staying strict with it, I know that's what's been helping me. If you don't have time to exercise as much as you'd like, walk when you can instead of driving. The little things can add up. Good luck, you can do this...we're all in this together!! :flowerforyou:
  • GingerSnark
    GingerSnark Posts: 153
    Options
    Many of us have been there but after we vent & let some time pass we get back on track. You know in the long run the cheeseburger aint helping no one. Weight didnt get put on over a month & its not going to come off in a month. Think of it this way. It might be a very slow loss but your making the decision to be healthier which is still great in the long run. Stay strong & don't sabotage yourself.

You want a cheeseburger? Make one with a healthy life bun, a veggie burger, fat free mayo, slice of avocado & a piece of reduced fat cheese. You can eat anything if you modify it right :)
  • Chuck1223
    Chuck1223 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel, I've hit a stopping point for this last week. However, I know that this will change and I'll be back to losing lbs again. Just remember that this is for your health and well being. Do not, I repeat Do not give up. :flowerforyou:
  • Miss_Chievous_wechange
    Miss_Chievous_wechange Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    Girl, first of all you need to calm down and stop getting so stressed out and discouraged. Stress is not good for you or for trying to lose weight. Weight yourself only a couple of times a week. Maybe you need to invest in a better, more accurate scale?? Make sure you're tracking your food in your journal and watching your sodium intake as well as calories. Are you exercising? Stop for a minute and try to think about what you've been doing and what you haven't been doing. Get focused, set some realistic goals for yourself, get a plan in place, get to it! YOU CAN DO THIS, I know you can. I wish you the best of luck.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I know it says you joined this month but when did you actually start? Because if you just started, this is normal. Sometimes your body takes time to adjust. If you haven't been at it for more than a few weeks, don't do anything different. Your body will adjust to the changes and you'll be fine. Check your sodium, drink a lot of water, try to have ALL green numbers (save for carbs and sugar IF it's from fruit).
  • Elokyn
    Elokyn Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I know it says you joined this month but when did you actually start? Because if you just started, this is normal. Sometimes your body takes time to adjust. If you haven't been at it for more than a few weeks, don't do anything different. Your body will adjust to the changes and you'll be fine. Check your sodium, drink a lot of water, try to have ALL green numbers (save for carbs and sugar IF it's from fruit).

I started the day I joined here..I think it was around the 5th or 6th. >.< I've never done this without some kind of magic pill or something and it feels like it's taking so long >.<

Thanks to you all for your words of encouragement. I'm definately going to be reading this like 12 times today. ~hugz~
  • tex43
    tex43 Posts: 229
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel,I work out at least 5 days a week sometimes 6,watch what I eat faithfully during the week,I splurge a little on the weekends (beer) but not too much.I couldn't loose a lb. no matter what,or sometimes I would loose a few pounds and then put it right back on over the weekend.Believe me I've tried everything,and when I was younger I could loose weight easy,but always after a couple of years put it back on and usually more than before.I was so frustrated,thinking why am I killing myself working out,starving myself most of the time,and no results.I should also point out that I am 42 almost 43 years old now and other than my morning work outs live a sedentary life,(office job).Three weeks ago,four friday I went to one of those fat doctors,(Aesthetics/weight loss) and I get a shot every friday and pills called adapex.I didn't loose any weight the first week,and you can imagine how pissed I was,then the second week I lost 8 lbs. the third week I lost 4 lbs.and Friday we will see.My point is,all the exercise I was doing and the dieting wasn't enough for me,now I still exercise and the pills really help,you just have to force yourself to eat,drink lots and lots of water,but the weight is finally coming off,dropped 2 pants sizes as well.
  • meeple
    meeple Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey :)
    Scales can be problematic and really, even where you place them can affect them :/ Have you tried measuring instead? You can see changes in different areas and when you do that as well as weigh yourself you can see more changes and progress.
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    I hope I'm not counter-productive in saying this, but.....EAT THE BLASTED CHEESEBURGER!! First of all, they're not that bad if you have a small one without all the extra bacon, mayo, etc, that make the calories go through the roof. And secondly, I often find that on a weekend where I splurge, I come back to the scale on Monday to find that I'm actually lighter! So it was apparently what my body needed! Sometimes we really do just need an extra burst of calories to get over a plateau, make sure we're not hitting starvation mode or anything. Obviously we can't splurge all the time, but if you are constantly thinking about a particular food for days and days, just eat it! Enjoy it! And then move on, maybe exercise a little more if it was something especially "bad." Denying cravings is the most common psychological reason that people don't do well on diets - because they feel limited or like they're being cheated of the good things in life. So enjoy those good things, but in moderation!
  • AndreeT
    AndreeT Posts: 191
    Options
    Awww....Hun! Keep your chin up! You are losing weight. Just remember that during TOM you retain water therefor the scale might not move during that time. Just take it one day at a time and remind yourself that this will pass....Sending hugs all the way from Nova Scotia, Canada! <<<HUGZ>>>

:flowerforyou:
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options

I started the day I joined here..I think it was around the 5th or 6th. >.< I've never done this without some kind of magic pill or something and it feels like it's taking so long >.<

Thanks to you all for your words of encouragement. I'm definately going to be reading this like 12 times today. ~hugz~

Definitely! Whatever helps. Everyone is different...some may lose 4 lbs of water weight...some lose 10...some lose more. Some don't even lose that and they have to work very hard to lose even 1 lb starting off and then their body adjusts and the weight comes rolling off. Keep working hard and you'll see results.

Edit - just checked your diary. More vegetables, less fake sugar. Cutting out those Diet Cokes will help (probably why you craved the Reese's peanut butter cups and the cookies). The fake sugar actually makes you crave sweets even more, so that's my suggestion. Keeping all numbers green is great, as long as the food you're putting in your body is quality... eat veggies and fruits for snacks and I see you're drinking a lot of water... buut, if you're craving something sweet to drink. Instead of a diet soda, reach for green tea. It always helps me resist soda and is sweet enough to curb my craving. Make sure to get diet cause the only thing number-wise is sodium.
  • tkrall
    tkrall Posts: 109
    Options
    I hope I'm not counter-productive in saying this, but.....EAT THE BLASTED CHEESEBURGER!! First of all, they're not that bad if you have a small one without all the extra bacon, mayo, etc, that make the calories go through the roof. And secondly, I often find that on a weekend where I splurge, I come back to the scale on Monday to find that I'm actually lighter! So it was apparently what my body needed! Sometimes we really do just need an extra burst of calories to get over a plateau, make sure we're not hitting starvation mode or anything. Obviously we can't splurge all the time, but if you are constantly thinking about a particular food for days and days, just eat it! Enjoy it! And then move on, maybe exercise a little more if it was something especially "bad." Denying cravings is the most common psychological reason that people don't do well on diets - because they feel limited or like they're being cheated of the good things in life. So enjoy those good things, but in moderation!

I agree with this post 100%!! You said it perfectly!! I too splurge once a week. Something I know isn't particularly healthy but is something that I'm craving. By the next Monday I'm lighter and it gives me motivation to keep moving forward. It also keeps my mental health good. But not denying that one thing that I want, I'm a happier person!!
  • Carrie_D
    Carrie_D Posts: 120
    Options
    I'm right there with you! Everyday is different on the scale, and most days were not good numbers. I finally had to just step away from the scale. I only weigh once a week now and even those weigh in numbers suck sometimes. Try not to get discouraged. Remember that you are working toward a goal, it's not easy work, it is damn hard! It's going to take time, and there will be hills to climb.
    As far as the cheeseburger (or whatever it is next time) if you REALLY want it, have it. And adjust the rest of your meals accordingly. BUT if you only want the cheeseburger because you are frustrated, don't give in. That is the difference between being able to make a life change, or not. If you are anything like me, when I get stressed, all I want to do is eat. And that is part of the reason that I am as big as I am now. And the stress is not helping your weight loss either. You can get through this.
    Hang in there, it has to get better. Right?!?