Better Tasting Protein Powder?

Options
I am currently drinking Jay Robb's Vanilla Whey Protein. I blend it with: 5 ice cubes, 1 tbl unsweetened cocoa powder, 1 cup decaf vanilla coffee, and 1/2 cup skim milk. Overall it tastes okay, but there is an extreme fake sugar aftertaste.

Any suggestions on another powder?

Replies

• akshil
    akshil Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Try using fage 0% greek yogurt for your protein needs. It has 23gms of protein in 130 calories with 9gms of sugar and 0g fat. You can add pure agave/honey to sweeten it. It is better to stick with natural sugars then artificial ones which make you want to eat more. I add fruits to sweeten it further. Bluieberries and Strawberries with yogurt, almond milk is my go to drink!!
  • mynewbug
    mynewbug Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I am trying to keep my sugar and intake low. I guess that's why the protein powder I'm using has a bad aftertaste (it's not sweetened with sugar).
  • dr3w_s
    dr3w_s Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    My favourite is Optimum Nutrition Gold standard double rich chocolate, it doesn't taste artificial and easy to mix
  • hastinbe
    hastinbe Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    My opinion is that Optimum Nutrition has one of the best low calorie, fat, and sugar profiles out there for a whey protein at the price. I've tried Vanilla, Delicious Strawberry, Double Rich Chocolate, and Extreme Milk Chocolate... They're all great. The Jay Robb is good too but the stuff is too expensive. I've tied Jay Robb's vanilla before but never noticed a sugary aftertaste with it, but then again I took it with water.

BSN Syntha-6 ranks up there with a great tasting powder too. But it has a much higher calorie, fat, and sugar profile.
  • mynewbug
    mynewbug Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • Princess4Run
    Princess4Run Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I second the Optimum Nutrition, Vanilla Ice Cream and Double Chocolate are my favorites. I tried Jay Robb in the past ( Vanilla and Strawberry) and I agree with the bad after taste, and it's not worth the extra $$. Good luck
  • stresco
    stresco Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Gold Standard Vanilla Ice Cream is my personal favorite.
  • ladyark
    ladyark Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    I use a chocolate powder by MuscleTech. I use it in smoothies , oatmeal and my new favorite is to add it to a container of Plain fat free greek yogurt and i have good tasting chocolate pudding.
  • luv2bfitandhealthy
    luv2bfitandhealthy Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • AmericanAesthetics
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition is good but its pricey. i buy the walmart brand(body fortress choclate peanut butter or choclate) protein myself.. its 15 bucks for 2 pounds.. so 10 pounds is about 75 bucks and you can get it cheaper at walmart.com

Optimum Nutrition gold standard is about 99 bucks for 10 pounds plus shipping.. like i said its good stuff but theres cheaper options out there. remeber its always cheaper to buy bulk
  • stresco
    stresco Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    jwb864:
    You are right GSOW is not cheap. I will still grab the Body Fortress in a pinch, but I think it has a bad aftertaste. The GSOW mixes and tastes the best with the mildest aftertaste. I like to mix it with a packet of Quaker Cinnamon and Spice Instant Oatmeal, 2 ice cubes and about 6oz of cold water.
  • paulahunter3
    Options
    I use USB ultra lean chocolate flavor with water, tastes exactly like chocolate milkshake
  • mistakenidentity
    mistakenidentity Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Personally...I like Bluebonnet Whey Protein Isolate. The French Vanilla is really good. For my smoothie I use 1 scoop of powder, 5 or 6 ice cubes, 1 cup of skim milk, 2 Tbspns Hershey's Dark Cocoa Powder, and 1 Tbspn of Splenda. Mix it in my Ninja. I also add 1/2 cup of frozen strawberries...Delicious!
  • courtwhitear
    courtwhitear Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I like RAW Cocoa flavored...it's chalky but it tastes good. I blend it with some soy or almond milk and I'm good to go!
  • babyskunkles
    babyskunkles Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I like GNC 100% Whey - Deluxe Chocolate mixed with 1 cup milk. I don't try to make it like a smoothie or anything, I just drink it in a few gulps and instantly have 32g of protein (includes the milk protein).
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Body Fortress. Its pretty good if you jazz it up with some PB2 and sugar free jello mix
  • ermand
    ermand Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Dymatize Elite Chocolate Fudge. Its practically the exact same thing as Optimum Nutrition but much cheaper.