Thyroid issues

Options
I am new to the message boards but wanted to give it a try for some support and motivation!
I am doing an extremely intense cleanse right now to find out what food sensitivities I have. I also gained about 15 pounds within a year for no reason as i work out and ate fairly healthy. It is now coming to light that there could be a thyroid problem, which would explain why I take care of myself and still don't loose a single pound.
Does anyone else struggle with this, and know of any ways to work through it?

Replies

• TaraDicorcia
    Options
    Hello - I wanted to comment as I am going through a similar situation. I eat very healthy and exercise (although could probably do a better job!), but I have just been recently diagnosed w/ hypothyroid which has caused me to gain about 10 lbs over the past year (despite reduction in calories).
    Although I am yet to find any good tricks to kick start weight loss, I wanted to let you know that I feel your frustration of eating healthy and still gaining weight
  • beam104
    Options
    Having a thyroid issue for almost 22 years has been hard...no matter how much you watch what you eat, diet, exercise the weight just doesn't come off....I do try to stay active, because i know if I wouldn't I would feel lousy....just keep working and doing what you do...because it makes yourself feel better....and if people can't see you for you then it's their issue....stay busy!!!
  • searl89
    searl89 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have Hypothyroidism. I talked to my mom when i found out to see if i had ever had a problem with it and she told me that i did when i was little. It got better there for a long time, but my senior year of high school (close to 5 years ago) I started to gain a little weight. I was up to 198 by graduation date. I didnt think anything of it, but when i started college i of course put on the infamous "freshman 15" only i just kept gaining and gaining. I didnt know what was going on. I was trying to eat healthy...but kept failing, and i also started exercising with my friends...which i eventually gave up. I wasnt seeing progress so i quit. Well, now here in present day I struggle with hypothyroidism. I initially found out about it when i found out I was pregnant with my daughter. They did all sort of tests, poke after poke after poke...every month. They came back with the results as everything is healthy, except my TSH levels were too high. They put me on levothyroxine, and now i feel so much better. I feel like i have more energy, and my tolerance to hot and cold weather is a lot better...not perfect, but better. Im not sure if this helps at all, but i thought i would let you know that you are not alone. Maybe if you haven't already, talk to your doctor about checking your levels and possibly medicating you. It's helped me. So far i am down 10 lbs and ive started my diet/working out 2 weeks ago. Good luck :)
  • jrhodo
    jrhodo Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I'm here to see if I'm lying to myself or if I have a thyroid issue. For three weeks I have averaged 1200 cal/day including exercise calories. I initially lost, but for the last two weeks I have gained back 3 lbs.!!! I am so frustrated.
    Both my sister and my daughter have been diagnosed with hypothyroidism.
    My biggest problem is that I have food intolerances and there is not a thryoid med that I can take. I talked to a compounding pharmacists and he can't help me,
    Does anyone have any ideas?
  • KristaHuyer
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your help!
    Its been a very frustrating journey cause most drs have just taken blood and my thyroid has come back as "average". my naturopath is saying though that "average" might not be normal for me, so I am hoping to get more tests done.
    I am on a cleanse where I can't eat any wheat, eggs, dairy, sugars, soy, red meats, potatoes, tomatoes, bananas, any acidic fruits. and the list goes. I have been on it for 3 weeks! MOST people would honestly loose 10 pounds by doing this cleanse!!! I haven't lost one pound- which leads me to think there really is something else going on.
    Do you guys know what kind of other tests I can get done? I have an ultrasound this week to check out my abdomen, but I know thyroid won't show up in that. Im hoping it all gets fixed soon though!
    Again, thank you so much for sharing your stories with me!
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    I would discuss with your doctor about estrogen containing foods in your diet and he should be able to maybe help
  • MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Thyroid issues don't stop you from losing weight. Being lazy and not watching what you eat does. I have very severe hypothyroidism and have been able to lose weight just by staying under my calorie goal. I bust my *kitten* with lifting and eat whatever fits under my goal. These posts make me RAGE!
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Thyroid issues don't stop you from losing weight. Being lazy and not watching what you eat does. I have very severe hypothyroidism and have been able to lose weight just by staying under my calorie goal. I bust my *kitten* with lifting and eat whatever fits under my goal. These posts make me RAGE!

But are you taking Thyroxin or something similar? Thyroid issues could affect your ability to lose weight IF you are not taking medication to regulate your thyroid. I suggest you go to an endocrinologist if you are really concerned about this.
  • MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options

But are you taking Thyroxin or something similar? Thyroid issues could affect your ability to lose weight IF you are not taking medication to regulate your thyroid. I suggest you go to an endocrinologist if you are really concerned about this.
    I guess I should have added "if it is regulated" Thank you 1CG :)
  • lorcart
    lorcart Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of here us. We even have a group. Come join us! :)
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/770-hypothyroidism-and-hyperthyroidism
  • Baubles40
    Options
    It sounds like you may just have a sluggish metabolism and not hypothyroidism. If you are going less than 1200 calories a day this could be to blame. Metabolism also slows as you age- you have to beef up the exercise or cut more calories to maintain. It's no surprise you wouldn't lose weight on a cleanse- you may have put your body in a starvation mode if you are dipping too low on calories.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

Added to say: Yup. Perfectly regulated, you are pretty much no different than anyone else!

Granted, it's not always easy to stay regulated for many people, but even then, untreated hypothryoidism doesn't make it impossible to lose weight... it just makes it slower. Weight gain CAN happen, but often the weight gain comes from cortisol issues grouped in to untreated thyroid (both too high or too little).

I'd also say "YES!" to what MidwestAngel said: LIFT. I have had severe issues with hypothyroidism (I also don't have a thyroid, and have dealt with adrenal issues twice in my life), and had hormonal weight gain. I wish more doctors recommended lifting. It helps regulate hormones, it helps boost a sluggish metabolism, etc.

Lifting has literally changed my life, and I think anyone with hormonal issues should do it... especially because high doses of certain thyroid hormones affect bone density, and LIFTING BUILDS THAT ****.
  • verdancyhime
    verdancyhime Posts: 237 Member
    Options

I'm going to point out here that I agree that getting treatment should help to normalize your ability to lose weight when you get it right, but if you are honestly logging all your calories and eating a deficit, being more active, etc. and have not lost any weight for a month or so, you should talk to a doctor. There are a lot of different things that can affect this and make it harder to lose weight. Bring your food diary and show it to a professional and ask them what you can change. Some people find this issue with certain anti-depressants or hormonal birth control, some people find that if they cut soy, which can mess with your hormone levels, it helps. Some people aren't getting the right amount of vitamins their thyroid needs, even though the gland works fine. It could be any number of things including something that could seriously mess up your health in the long run. As a teen I had a doctor I couldn't get to listen to me about this issue, and it messed with my head for a long time. You aren't a special failure snowflake so if you are working hard to make a change, you should see at least SOME change.
  • islandmonkey
    islandmonkey Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Its been a very frustrating journey cause most drs have just taken blood and my thyroid has come back as "average". my naturopath is saying though that "average" might not be normal for me, so I am hoping to get more tests done.
    I am on a cleanse where I can't eat any wheat, eggs, dairy, sugars, soy, red meats, potatoes, tomatoes, bananas, any acidic fruits. and the list goes. I have been on it for 3 weeks! MOST people would honestly loose 10 pounds by doing this cleanse!!! I haven't lost one pound- which leads me to think there really is something else going on.
    Do you guys know what kind of other tests I can get done? I have an ultrasound this week to check out my abdomen, but I know thyroid won't show up in that. Im hoping it all gets fixed soon though!

What tests did your doctor run? Did they just test TSH, or did they test your free T3 and free T4? TSH is a pituitary hormone and yet is the first go-to test. As well, there's a lot of controversy about what the "normal range" should be. I personally wouldn't accept my TSH anywhere over 2.0, and would want it closer to 1.0. But you really need to ensure they are testing your actual thyroid hormones - I would ask for a free T3 and free T4 test.

Your free T3 should optimally be in the top 1/3 of the range, and not just "within normal range". Your free T4 should be about mid-range.

I would also ask to have the following tested:
    -Vit D: it's required for the T3 to act on your cells. "Within normal range" is 30+, but again you want OPTIMAL, which is 60-80
    -iron, ferritin, B12, and Selenium: used in the process of converting T4 into T3 (the active thyroid hormone)
    -iodine: required for production of thyroid hormone

I'm especially concerned about the iron and B12 levels with your current diet.
  • islandmonkey
    Options
    I'm going to point out here that I agree that getting treatment should help to normalize your ability to lose weight when you get it right, but if you are honestly logging all your calories and eating a deficit, being more active, etc. and have not lost any weight for a month or so, you should talk to a doctor. There are a lot of different things that can affect this and make it harder to lose weight. Bring your food diary and show it to a professional and ask them what you can change. Some people find this issue with certain anti-depressants or hormonal birth control, some people find that if they cut soy, which can mess with your hormone levels, it helps. Some people aren't getting the right amount of vitamins their thyroid needs, even though the gland works fine. It could be any number of things including something that could seriously mess up your health in the long run. As a teen I had a doctor I couldn't get to listen to me about this issue, and it messed with my head for a long time. You aren't a special failure snowflake so if you are working hard to make a change, you should see at least SOME change.

You say that everyone's thyroid needs are different, yet say that they aren't special snowflakes? I feel like you just learned that phrase and liked it and wanted to use it - it wasn't very constructive in this situation.

As well, the OP obviously IS talking to her doctor, has adjusted her diet for many things, etc.
  • islandmonkey
    Options
    I'm here to see if I'm lying to myself or if I have a thyroid issue. For three weeks I have averaged 1200 cal/day including exercise calories. I initially lost, but for the last two weeks I have gained back 3 lbs.!!! I am so frustrated.
    Both my sister and my daughter have been diagnosed with hypothyroidism.
    My biggest problem is that I have food intolerances and there is not a thryoid med that I can take. I talked to a compounding pharmacists and he can't help me,
    Does anyone have any ideas?

What are your specific food intolerances? Most meds have talc, sugar and other things people can be sensitive to - I would contact the manufacturers of Nature Thyroid and Armour to confirm what the fillers are (and any dyes). As well, a lot of people respond well to Erfa's Thyroid (Canada's dessicated med), because it's like the old Armour before they changed the fillers.

I know someone in the US who goes through Women's International Pharmacy for compounded meds and I believe olive oil was the only filler...?? I would contact them to ask. Or try around to different compounding pharmacies, but be prepared to be very specific on what your intolerances are.
  • jrhodo
    jrhodo Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the info on meds. My intolerances are gluten, soy, dairy and corn. Corn being the problem. Most fillers are made from corn. I had to take vicodin for an abscessed tooth, I was sick for a month from the fillers. I will check out your suggestions.
  • Kimberly_Tanith
    Kimberly_Tanith Posts: 18 Member
    Options

I've experienced the EXACT same thing, when I went for an ultrasound I found out that I had Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) so I've been battling with that for the last 3 years, and I've gained 50lbs because of it... sigh!

My aim was to manage the cysts and go on a strict diet, I managed to lose 20lbs but ragained some of it back when I got ill.

I know it's super frustrating BUT... the weight can be dropped, just takes much longer...
    You just need to find out what exactly is going on with your body, then you'll know how to treat it :smile:
  • islandmonkey
    Options
    Thanks so much for the info on meds. My intolerances are gluten, soy, dairy and corn. Corn being the problem. Most fillers are made from corn. I had to take vicodin for an abscessed tooth, I was sick for a month from the fillers. I will check out your suggestions.

Here's a good link that lists all the fillers - looks like Nature Thyroid would probably be fine for you?
    http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/armour-vs-other-brands/

Have you been tested for Hashimoto's antibodies? With the gluten intolerance I'm wondering if you have autoimmune thyroid disease.
  • KristaHuyer
    Options
    Thank you! I am unsure what I have been tested at and what the levels were. I only know of my iron from my last blood test about a month and a half ago. I was quite low. average is around 80-300 and I was 20. I am on an iron pill right now which seems to be helping. When I visit my doctor I will ask for more detailed tests. I am also on some vitamins from the naturopathic dr for B vitiams!