pilates anyone?

Options
I have never done this but am interested. I'd like to hear from anyone who does pilates and can share thoughts/results on it.

Replies

• cole_ashleyy
    cole_ashleyy Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Pilates is GREAT! I'm an instructor and also take classes and workout on my own regularly. If you're taking a mat class at your gym... it's not the same. They just focus on core strength and that's it. But if you're practicing contrology (which is what pilates REALLY is) than you'll see great results. The aim of pilates is uniform development of all muscle groups and focuses on the deeper muscles rather than only the superficial. There are also several apparatuses to aid with the exercises, add weight, add additional exercises, ect... I personally prefer working out on them than just going to a standard mat class.

There are six essential principles of pilates control, breath, concentration, flow, centering, and precision.

Despite what most people may think, pilates is actually a mind/body activity. You can learn a lot about your body and not only will you see great results as far as fitness goes, but it will help you in your daily life AND improve your mood :smile:

I hope this helps!! If you need to know anything else about pilates just let me know... I hope you decide to give it a try though!
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Pilates is a great part of my workout. It helped improve my core strength which has helped my running and cycling as well. It is a good part of a well rounded exercise regimen. Just be sure you incorporate strength training and cardio as well.
  • Dreamerlove
    Dreamerlove Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    youtube pop-Pilates by cassey ho
  • retabli
    retabli Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm no where as professional about it as Nikki84xx, but I do some POP Pilates (Youtube) and have several pilates videos at home; I love it. It makes me feel strong and feminine at the same time. (Not saying the more macho of us can't do pilates. Just how it personally makes me feel.) I have also seen results losing inches off my thighs and calves. It's helped my posture, also.

I'm just getting back on the wagon, but I really enjoy pilates. I look forward to the days I do it.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    youtube pop-Pilates by cassey ho

THIS! I used her Beginner's exercise for three weeks and have now moved up to her Summer Slimdown (which is currently kicking my *kitten*, but it feels so good!)

I never thought I could do Pilates. I'm clumsy and have terrible muscle control. But it turns out it can be done! And I can feel my muscles hardening and gaining strength - it's really encouraging! Give it a shot! It's the only form of exercise I've fallen in love with!
  • lilkidtchr
    lilkidtchr Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've done Pilates DVDs at home and find it hard but that's how I know it's working! I ease into a DVD - doing part of it the first time, adding more until I can "complete" it. I'm not sure I'm doing the exercises correctly but at least I'm doing something, right? I am careful and don't do any of the moves if they hurt. I do feel some pain in my abdomen the day after so I must be working something out, right? :smile:
  • cole_ashleyy
    cole_ashleyy Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I heard pop pilates is actually pretty great for losing weight and getting in shape. If you want more "macho" exercises- get on the equipment, haha... I've had some male athletes come in and be like HOW DO YOU DO THAT?! It's great though... and hey, any pilates is better than no pilates :)
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Love Pilates, especially on the reformer. True that is not the same at the gym. Too bad its so expensive. ($50 per class at the studio nearby).
  • gottalose55
    gottalose55 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone for your input. I will look at the you tube and see what kind of studios are in my area.
  • MrsNolf
    MrsNolf Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I've been doing pilates for about 3 years with no other serious cardio/weight management. I am admittedly quite heavy, but I'm also pretty strong. Pilates sets a really good foundation for weight loss/toning. I would recommend taking classes over doing it on your own at home as you can really hurt yourself if your form isn't right. I know it's a financial investment, but the studio I go to has good value if you buy classes in bulk =)