Struggling to stay within 24g sugar limit - help

Options
As the post suggests, I am struggling to stay within my 24gm sugar allowance. Today for example I am already at 60gm, through having one yogurt, one banana and an apple.

Reviewing the last few days I notice a very similar trend with the sugar, although the foods which I am eating are not unhealthy or rubbish.

I have no problems staying within the fat , calories allowance each day however and often only eat half of the fat allowance each day.

Could this be the reason why I have not lost any weight this week ?

Replies

• jennylynn84
    jennylynn84 Posts: 659
    Options
    It's the fruit. Fruit sugar is actually okay for you, since you have the fiber of the fruit going along with it.

If you're going to keep track of your sugar, you've gotta do some math and subtract all of the fruit sugars from your total. Only count added sugar and juice sugar (since juice does not have the fiber of the fruit it's bad too). So subtract the banana and apple sugar from that 60 for today so far.

That should help a lot. Wish MFP did this for us!
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    You can also eat fruits lower in sugar, i.e. strawberries and cantaloupe.
  • cardswimmom
    Options
    Thanks for the tip...I too was wondering about the sugar from fruit. I knew it was "ok" but never thought to deduct it from my sugar total!:flowerforyou:
  • sunita75
    sunita75 Posts: 10
    Options
    Thanks very much for your reply. Its good to know that I do not need to count the sugars from fruit. - Within the allowance now :smile:

You're doing really well, 40lb lost, thats amazing. :happy: I'm struggling to lose a single pound having been on this for over a week :noway:
  • cmurphy04722
    Options
    I agree with jennylynn on this, fruit sugar is good because of the fiber. But juice...not so much. And obviously refined sugars aren't healthy. To avoid the red zone on my sugar, I upped it to 45 but I eat 2-3 servings of fruit a day so that includes my natural sugars. I keep my refined sugars under 15 or 20 probably.
  • jennylynn84
    jennylynn84 Posts: 659
    Options
    Thanks very much for your reply. Its good to know that I do not need to count the sugars from fruit. - Within the allowance now :smile:

You're doing really well, 40lb lost, thats amazing. :happy: I'm struggling to lose a single pound having been on this for over a week :noway:

No problem!

My sugar intake freaked me out at first too. I've since moved on to sodium, cuz that's my real weakness it would seem!

Thank you so much! I started in January, and it has been a truly amazing journey. I had a plenty to lose, so at first my weight was dropping like a rock! I've slowed down to normal now - 1-2 pounds a week. Just remember, the closer you are to your goal weight the slower it comes off, and the slower it comes off the more likely it is to stay off.

Good luck!
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I raised mine so I didn't have to see those little red numbers! :laugh: I think it has been mentioned before that the 24g limit is for refined (bad) sugars but MFP doesn't differentiate between sugar from fruit or a bandy bar. I eat 1-2 pieces of fruit per day and that put me over the limit including sugar I got from complex carbs and veggies too. Now I just try to stay away from refined sugar or sugar in processed foods.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,108 Member
    Options
    Dairy sugars can be subtracted too. Lowfat (NOT nonfat) yogurt is an excellent food. Subtract out the Fruit and Dairy.

go to the thread in my signature, a whole discussion on sugar.

Also in my signature: Mayo Clinic's article on ADDED SUGARS

I have been trying to eat fruit too and it always put me over, so I just told it not to remind me all the time. I don't have time to subtract fruit sugar from refined sugar, and since I know that I am not eating a lot of refined sugar I think I'm okay. Like I had raisins in my oatmeal, which are fruit. Granted they are quite sugary, but it was the only sugary thing I ate that day. It put me over.