Anyone struggling since childhood?

Options
Hi! I'm hopefully back in the saddle for good this time. I committed in January of 2012 and followed through longer than ever before, but after losing my Grandpa in the summer, I slowly went back to bad habits. I've been eating away my pain again. I have gained back 10 of those nasty pounds.

I would like to connect with a few new friends who have had a lifelong struggle with weight loss, starting in childhood? Maybe? I have never been thin, EVER. I am a 34 year old mother of 4 (only 2 that I carried) and weighed in at 190 pounds this morning.

I have a very health conscience sister, and she's stunning! But she's always been teeny tiny, and doesn't really understand how hard this is. We grew up in the same house, on the same food, doing the same things, but she has always been a size 0. Maybe a 2 at some point. I love her and she's a great friend, but she doesn't understand the struggle I am dealing with. Oh, and my husband is addicted to sweets and weighs 162 pounds. Easy, peasy, huh?

Replies

• Gr8ChangesAhead
    Gr8ChangesAhead Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Been heavy since birth... Tired of yo yo dieting never get anywhere and I had to lose 40 pounds to get to your starting point. This is a everyday battle but am determined to do it right this time. You can add me for support. Kimi
  • ccindpls
    Options
    For sure. I am doing it a bit different this time if you wanna compare notes. Feel free to add me!
  • BeckZombie
    BeckZombie Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I was a normal weight when I was a young, young child and became over weight when I was maybe 7 or 8. I'm sick of it, so I'm trying to really watch my calorie intake and exercise more.
  • kslager77
    kslager77 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I have been struggling since about the age of 10. I know what you are going through. Feel free to add me. :)
  • sbrownallison
    sbrownallison Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I have always had an identity as overweight. Sometimes I think that is my only identifier. I've been on "diets" off and on since age 10, none of which really took a serious approach to weight loss, i.e. restrict calories and move more. I've been affiliated with Weight Watcher for a number of years and, about six years ago reached my "goal" weight but had regained most of it within five years. In Oct. '11, I was once again sick of being almost 200 lbs, so I joined the Y. I became faithful to about three aerobic classes a week, but still did not change my diet much -- saw little or no weight loss. I continued at the Y but returned to WW once a month to weigh in -- and went back on a calorie restrictive healthy diet. With both (1) exercise, and (2) dieting healthily, I have now lost 40 lbs. In November I joined My Fitness Pal and got myself a Fitbit. I find both of these to be incredibly motivating and have enabled me to stick with it. I log food and exercise into MFP and it syncs with my Fitbit, which I wear everywhere. I am more accepting of myself as someone who will always struggle to stabilize my weight. I am less apt to overeat now, as I have a better understanding of the connection between food intake and the need to be physically active. Good luck with your own struggle and don't give up.
  • klairson
    Options
    i, too, have also been heavy since birth. my family ate at restaurants quite frequently when i was growing up; i have never been thin. it's such a hard struggle.