A different kind of Success story

Options
shae68143
shae68143 Posts: 422 Member
So, I did some early "spring cleaning" and discovered a box from when I moved last year in one of my dresser drawers. Inside it was, yep you guessed it, tons of bottles (16 to be exact) of old medications. Not though, just any meds, these were pain pills, nausea, thyroid, dizziness, anti-inflammatory, migraine, etc meds.

I was never one to fully take all of my meds as prescribed (I hate pills), and although I needed each of them at some point for some thing, I am so glad to say that since I started my journey (which was quite a bit prior to MFP) I am no longer on all those meds. Now I simply take a thyroid medication and my birth control daily. Losing weight has helped me get off nearly every "drug" I was on for many, many years.

This sort of turned into an NSV for me, but has any one else been this luck (or had any luck at all) with not needing medications anymore due to a lifestyle change with eating right, exercising and just living better?

Replies

• Shas2228
    Shas2228 Posts: 187
    Options
    That's awesome! I noticed as I've lost weight my body aches have gone down considerably. So I don't take Ibuprofen the way I use to.

I have to take Thyroid pills too. :smile:
  • ACDodd
    ACDodd Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Congratulations.
    The less pills you have to take the better.
    My wife's doctor is a pill pusher and she takes way too many.
    She is switching doctors so maybe that will help.
    I take 1 aspirin daily and that is it.
  • AussiePupOwner
    Options
    Great job! You have reached one of the goals I have for myself. I'd like to cut back/stop my diabetes medication, the pills for all the aches and joint pain I have, pain meds for my torn ankle (this requires surgery), headache meds, etc. I am only 46 years old!
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I didn't take medication but I have noticed way less pain in my knee and my hip since I lost weight.
  • shae68143
    shae68143 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Great job! You have reached one of the goals I have for myself. I'd like to cut back/stop my diabetes medication, the pills for all the aches and joint pain I have, pain meds for my torn ankle (this requires surgery), headache meds, etc. I am only 46 years old!

Ooh ouch, surgery sucks (one of the pain meds I had still was from hip surgery) - but all the others were side effects of being over weight (like you said aches, pains etc) and I'm only 32. It was a sad life for a long time, so glad I'm not that person anymore. :)

I hope surgery goes well for you and that you heal well!
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    That is wonderful congrats Shaebabe on you becoming more

healthy.
  • julielittlefish
    julielittlefish Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    That's great, congrats! You need to take the $$$ you're saving not having to refill those scrips and put it in a vacation fund.
  • larryc0923
    larryc0923 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!! This is a great NSV.
  • boyd224
    boyd224 Posts: 14
    Options
    Way to Go!

I have only been eating healthy for a couple weeks, but I used to suffer from bad heartburn all the time. I havent had a tums for over a week now :)
  • pcotter54
    pcotter54 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    The PA who checked me for blood pressure reduced my prescription-- she said my BP might wind up too LOW if I don't monitor it. I'm going back at the end of January to see if it should stay at this level, or possibly be reduced again.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    that's great! I used to have to take prescription meds for my acid reflux daily, now I no longer have to take it. I still have a 3 month supply.
  • beautsarah
    beautsarah Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    That's the best kind of success story. That's even more important than any jean size, congrats!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!