A lot of weigh to lose, just starting out

Options
The subject says a lot about what I am dealing with. I have over 100 pounds too lose to be into the "normal" weight range. I signed up last night and kind of wanted some friends on here to help me that had a lot of weight to lose too. I just don't even know where to start I am just feeling like my goal is so hard and I just don't know. I am only 20 years old and tired of always being fat. Some words of encouragement would be nice.

Linsey

Replies

• Hi I have 101 to lose but I have already lost 35 before I joined here. You can do this! It is hard but it can be done. I do a lot of walking. I am lazy on the weekend. What helps me is I have a cut off point to after that time I don't eat. If I need to I eat fruit and vegetables. Nothing heavy at night. Just keep telling yourself that you can. I believe you can. Good luck I am cheering for you!
  • allison_brooke
    allison_brooke Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm about the same as you! I'm 18 and have always been overweight but I hope that I can lose the wieght and get this behind me. I'm sure you can do it but it's overwheming at first I know. I like to set small goals and they are less intimidating that the big number. :)
  • abra526
    abra526 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! I have been on and off this site for over almost two years now. I'm back, and ready to get serious about it. The first time I joined, I lost 30 pounds, but I have since put about 15 back on. All in all, I"d like to lose about 60 pounds. Feel free to friend me, as I love to help motivate, and need some motivation myself!
  • n2goff
    n2goff Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    We have very similar goals =) Added!
  • BreakingUpWithObesity2013
    Options
    Added =)
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    If you want an old crazy cat lady for a friend, feel free to add me!
  • poodlepaws
    poodlepaws Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    A few words of advice...
    take it one pound at a time; if you look at the final number you will get overwhelmed and give up.
    Take it one day at a time, just because you mess up one day doesn't mean you need to give up.
    It can be done; won't be overnight, won't be in a week, in a month. To lose weight properly it's a lifetime of changing.

I've lost 100 pounds and am on a new quest to lose the last 50 so with will power and determination it can be done :)
  • sandobr1
    sandobr1 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Set small goals for yourself, I have/had over 80 pounds to lose, and honestly maybe more beyond that. Focus on logging EVERYTHING and learn, make small improvements even weekly and the results will follow. I would set a small weight loss goal, maybe 8-10 pounds by Valentines day, that is very do-able. Take measurements and start finding recipes you could make that fit your lifestyle and shop for foods to suppor that. It can be done, but it won't be done all at once, in fact it will take a long time, but little by little you can do it. Best of luck!
  • darisey
    darisey Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I started a couple months ago with 100lbs to lose. I'm 23. Feel free to add me :)
  • mrsjas2000
    mrsjas2000 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I have also stuggled my whole life and this time it will come off and not be a diet but a lifestyle change. Make your goals smaller and remember one step at a time. Anyone can add me
  • theasatruer
    Options
    I'm looking to lose over 100 myself. I currently weigh in around 300 right now. I'm built to be big, but not this big. If I was at 220 maybe, or even under 200 would be a dream. I was born a diabetic, so I have a lot of trouble losing weight. Feel free to add me!
  • audra0831
    audra0831 Posts: 244
    Options
    Added! :)
  • kslager77
    kslager77 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I have about 125 to lose. Feel free to add me! :happy:
  • amandasitton26
    Options
    I'm in the same boat - wanting to lose 100 pounds, a majority by my 30th birthday in December. Was previously a member but then gave up and I'm trying my hardest not to give up this time. I'm limited on exercise for the next few months (2nd Wrist surgery scheduled for 2/11/13) but am trying to get food routine in now. Feel free to add - together maybe we can do it!
  • maddiebrochu
    Options
    I am the same ...overweight all my life ...looking to finally make a lasting change ...we can all do this together : )
  • corrie232
    corrie232 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Took the words right out of my mouth! Couldn't agree more. :)
  • Gerald_King
    Gerald_King Posts: 2,031 Member
    Options
    You need to look at small goal like the first 10lbs or when you get to a weight nearer where you are now and drink plenty of water you can add me for support ifyou like
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    The subject says a lot about what I am dealing with. I have over 100 pounds too lose to be into the "normal" weight range. I signed up last night and kind of wanted some friends on here to help me that had a lot of weight to lose too. I just don't even know where to start I am just feeling like my goal is so hard and I just don't know. I am only 20 years old and tired of always being fat. Some words of encouragement would be nice.

Linsey

Here are my tips for those getting started:

1) Determine your BMR/TDEE (or whatever you want to call it) so that you know what amount of calories (on average) you should be eating to lose weight at a healthy pace. If you use the MFP tools, they'll compute this for you.
    2) Log everything. Don't eat it if you can't log it. Take a multivitamin everyday with food.
    3) Don't drink your calories. Try to get to a point where all you drink is water.
    4) Walk or jog or run... alot! Then start strength training when you're up to it.

Forget the scale. Don't obsess about daily changes in weight. - they don't mean anything. What you should be focusing on are long term changes to your lifestyle. The weight WILL come off. You CAN do it. The math works and it doesn't lie. It just takes time.

This is not a diet and you don't have to deny yourself anything you crave, you just have to eat in moderation and be accountable for what you put in your mouth. For example, if you go over on Monday by 300 calories, then go under on Tuesday and Wednesday by 150 calories each day. Be honest with your log. Be accurate. Be accountable. You can lose the weight and it will happen faster than you realize when you make this a lifestyle change.
  • corrie232
    corrie232 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat as you, about 100lbs to lose and I'm 25. I am sick and tired of being overweight too and want to have a better life! Added :)
  • rhonajs
    Options
    First, don't concentrate on your "normal within range" strive to make baby steps, and remember the "normal range" is old and was for insurance purposes (life insurance). So...here is my story and then advice. I lost a lot of weight the year after my mom passed the first month or so was depression and when I saw I could do it...continued...kept it off for 4 yrs...then perimenopause hit...I gained back 25 of the 60. So....here are some tips...get a scale at a store like Bed Bath and Beyond...measure portions, follow the serving size on packages, eat on smaller plates, eat good protein, fish, chicken...good carbs fruit...not breads...log in every day. DO NOT DENY YOURSELF...it only gets worse...if you allow yourself a little treat daily..it doesn't snowball.
    Good treats:
    Sugerfree pudding
    Cereal high protein bars ..Nature Valley, Atkins
    A portion of dark chocolate.

And my last piece of advice...exercise...if you did step it up...if you didn't ...start slow...walking at a nice pace...good luck and keep me aware.:smile: