Off Dairy..

Options
XFitMojoMom
XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
for about 4 weeks -
can I drink or use Almond Milk as a replacement?

Replies

• Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Absolutely!
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Almond milk ROCKS! We've been off of milk completely for a few months now and loving life. My baby sleeps like a fossil, and I don't really miss milk (which is huge since I used to drink 3 gallons a week just by myself). We still have cheese and ice cream on occasion, but overall we're healthier for cutting out moo juice.
    Almond milk all the way!

If you need an ice cream fix, check out rice dream ice cream & soy delicious, both dairy free I believe
  • MattySparky
    MattySparky Posts: 771
    Options
    ?? you can drink or eat whatever you want....

I dont understand the question really. Are you asking if almond milk is dairy?
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Matty, I believe OP was saying they need to go off dairy for 4 weeks and was asking about using almond milk instead of moo milk
  • Plwarder
    Plwarder Posts: 30
    Options
    I replaced Milk with Almond Milk. "They" say it is healthier and it does have less calories. I use it in my protein shake and if I eat cereal I choose an organic bran cereal and the Almond Milk tastes great. I do not miss milk and I thought I would die without it.
    I use Almond Breeze unsweetened vanilla.
  • kfsooner
    kfsooner Posts: 40
    Options
    There is also rice milk.....unsweetened or vanilla. I use rice milk in baking.....
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Definitely. Almond milk is made from the nut so it's not dairy at all. Good source of fiber! :happy: My co-worker drinks it and LOVES it. I haven't been able to find it so I haven't tried it yet. *crossing fingers*
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    In addition to the rice milk mentioned earlier there is also hemp milk (which I think is quite tasty).
  • haleysman
    haleysman Posts: 48
    Options
    don't forget about soy milk, i think there is a tasty brand called silk that starbuck's uses
  • MommyofLily
    MommyofLily Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I recently found out I am allergic to all dairy so I've become quite creative with my "dairy" intake. I LOVE almond milk. I think that Almond Breeze Unsweetened Original is the best, but I also really like the Pacific Natural Foods Organic Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk. Soy milk is great too, but a little higher in sugar than almond. If you like yogurt, they make really delicious cultured coconut milk "yogurt" in lots of different flavors (by So Delicious). Rice protein powder replaces normal protein powder made with whey. For cheese, I like the "Vegan cheddar flavor soy block" by Galaxy Nutritional Foods and they also make "mozzarella" flavored slices made of soy too. I can definitely tell you what not to eat too, i've tasted some nasty dairy replacement foods. I think almond cheese is disgusting, but that's a personal preference. Let me know if you want any more dairy advice! :)
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    don't forget about soy milk, i think there is a tasty brand called silk that starbuck's uses

I really enjoy Silk Soy milk. You can get it at most grocery stores.

Soy milk and almond milk are good for cooking and baking. Rice milk I found was to thin to be useful. I also didn't care for the taste that much.

If you liked the taste of milk but can't have dairy, try Lactaid milk. Usually kep with the milk isle. It adds the enzyme needed to break down the milk to the milk so that you can drink it as a dairy free product. I never liked the taste but it doesn't make me sick.
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    I'm not sure I agree with Lactaid being dairy free. Lactose free, yes. But it still comes from a cow, so it is not dairy free.

I LOVE almond milk too, but its not very high in protien. I use it on cereal. Hemp milk is good too on cereal. Rice milk is a little too thin for my taste, but thats just me. I use soy milk in protien shakes because it has more protien of course.

As for ice cream, I found some chocolate ice cream bars that were so so delicious! I think they were from the So Delicious brand. They are made with coconut milk. OMG, best treat ever!

You can make your own almond milk by soaking almonds over night, blend then strain. I haven't tried it yet, but I will let ya know when I do.
  • XFitMojoMom
    Options
    Holly - that is correct - even though Lactaid is lactose free - however it is dairy and I cannot have that for a while. It's to see whether I have an intolerance to milk. I do have an intolerance to ice-cream (no boggie cos I don't like ice-cream anyway), but cheese and yogurt don't seem to offend. I am still allowed whey protein, which is weird because it is dairy, but the lactose has been removed, but looking to add something other than water to the shake.
    No soy - my stomach has issues with soy.
    Oh it should be mentioned that I need to keep my sugars down as I'm insulin resistant.
  • XFitMojoMom
    Options
    MMM - Almond Milk!