Green Tea

Options
I have recently started drinking green tea each day. I added it because of so many suggestions that it speeds up motabloism helping you lose weight...and other health benefits. My question is....since starting to drink it, I haven't felt well. I feel lathargic and bloated. Has anyone else had bad results from green tea? I also haven't lost any weight since i started it.

Replies

• DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Try not drinking it. It may be that there is something specific in the tea you chose that your body does not seem to respond well to.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Green tea has some beneficial anti oxidants but it isn't a magic weight loss cure and it doesn't boost your metabolism. If it's making you sick quit drinking it. The chances it's doing anything good for you is minimal to start with.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    There have been a couple of studies showing that a cup of green tea will boost your metabolism by 1%. This effect tops out at two cups, so the most you could raise your metabolism is 2%. If you normally burn 2000 calories a day, two cups of green tea will help you burn an extra 40 calories. Not enough to make any difference in weight loss efforts.
  • sher71481
    Options
    There have been a couple of studies showing that a cup of green tea will boost your metabolism by 1%. This effect tops out at two cups, so the most you could raise your metabolism is 2%. If you normally burn 2000 calories a day, two cups of green tea will help you burn an extra 40 calories. Not enough to make any difference in weight loss efforts.

Good to know!
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Don't drink it if it reacts with you. Some people don't like it.

It could be the caffeine.. it could be the blend of tea.

Green tea doesn't really increase your metabolism. Caffeine does but only a tiny bit. The only real thing that will increase your metabolism would be to increase muscle mass. Caffeine (which is usually in fat burners) help a little but not a lot.

Stop drinking it and see how you feel... but don't change anything else in your diet. If you still feel the same way that it's something else you have in your diet/lifestyle that is causing the issues.
  • Abrookecantrell
    Abrookecantrell Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!!
  • favhrnstr
    Options
    Thanks for posting this, and for the great answers from people. I don't like green tea but tried the supplements for a while. They tasted awful (like, gag-inducing if I didn't swallow it right immediately), and I didn't notice any difference, so I stopped taking them. I've wondered ever since if I should just try to like the tea, but it doesn't really seem worth it!
  • SCsexy1
    SCsexy1 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I drank green tea for months when I was trying to lose my post pregnancy weight and I thought that it helped. (about 4 tea bags, served iced, 2 times per day) I also reduced my calories and I also did alot of walking. I'm not sure if it was the tea or the diet and exercise. Even if it was only psychological, I think that it helped.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I would suggest getting a different brand perhaps. The one my mom gets makes me bloated. I like bigelow green tea, I don't seem to have any issues with it.
  • notworthstalking
    notworthstalking Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I do drink green once or twice a day. The main reason is I enjoy the taste. If it has health benifits, that to me is a bonus .
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Why I love tea.

-0 calories and 0 bad stuff.
    - it makes my stomach feel better
    - It calms me down
    - It gives me time to hang out with my hubby and chat
    - Tea sets are cute

:)

I like white tea the most I think.
  • porcelain_doll
    porcelain_doll Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I drink it to help hold me over between meals and snack time. It works well for that, but I am not sure about the metabolism claims. Anyway, if you don't feel well after drinking it, I would either try a different blend or not drink it at all. Maybe try decaf green tea to see if it is the caffeine that bothers you? Either way, good luck. :)
  • SCsexy1
    SCsexy1 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I forgot to add, try drinking it with or immediately after a meal. Any tea on an empty stomach will make me sick. Hope this helps.
  • MaggieSporleder
    MaggieSporleder Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it helps you lose weight but for me, if I drink my normal, which is a 3 qt pitcher made into iced tea, I'm bouncing off the walls with more energy than caffeine has ever given me.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    I have recently started drinking green tea each day. I added it because of so many suggestions that it speeds up motabloism helping you lose weight...and other health benefits. My question is....since starting to drink it, I haven't felt well. I feel lathargic and bloated. Has anyone else had bad results from green tea? I also haven't lost any weight since i started it.

Green tea EXTRACT slightly increases the metabolism but only perhaps 70 calories a day, that is a massively more potent source of the antioxidant EGCG than green tea you brewed at home.
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Patient: It hurts when I do that.

Doctor: Don't do that.
  • alitap
    alitap Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I have tried alot of Green teas...generally those that taste good are those with Jasmine flavor, or they contain sugar. Those that are strictly for weight loss, do not have sugar and are just bland.

There were times when i took it and felt awefully sick. Made me feel nauseous and it didnt really help with losing any weight at all. Im guessing they only keep you active for a short while, like any other tea would but their effect dies off after sometime.

I stopped taking them because they just made me feel so sick. Just rely on a balanced diet + exercise and you'll be fine....

33017025.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • SeahorseDolphin
    Options
    I don't know if it helps you lose weight but for me, if I drink my normal, which is a 3 qt pitcher made into iced tea, I'm bouncing off the walls with more energy than caffeine has ever given me.

Green tea has about 30-45 mg of caffeine per serving. It's less than coffee which is somewhere between 140-160mg, but if you drink a lot in a day then you're still getting plenty of it. That is unless you are drinking decaf tea.
  • slimguy66
    Options
    Do not drink it if it makes you feel bad :happy: . I do not believe the weight loss claims of green tea but drink it as a substitute for plain water. Also, I tried several brands before I found one my stomach could handle.