Home gym?

Options
I am blessed with a room in my house that I am going to be able to convert to a home gym. The room is 9-10 feet wide and at least twice that long.
My question...
What is must have equipment?
I have a stationary bike in my living room (the room is a storage room right now and I now have the right motivation to get rid of all the junk!)
There is already a tv in there, and I have a laptop that the screen has died on that I'm thinking of buying a converter so I can use my DVD's I have and have access to stream videos in that room...
I have some yoga dvd's, Tae Bo, and Walk Away the Pounds
I also have some dumb bells ...
but other than that nothing.
I know I want to get a blowflex like machine ....
what would you guys suggest?

Replies

• ArtGeek22
    ArtGeek22 Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my elliptical. They are really great if you have knee problems. I have the brand "Precor". I think they are well worth the money and I think you get a better burn than the treadmill :tongue:
  • jessjess8143
    Options
    I would go with small weights or resistance bands and a jump rope. I also use my balance ball all the time.
  • natalie2603
    natalie2603 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    A Step, moderately heavy weights - I personally use the adjustable dumb bells, Ball, Yoga mat, Flat bench, I also have a treadmill (however I understand expensive!)

http://www.ball-exercises.com/
    http://www.livestrong.com/weight-training/
  • natalie2603
    natalie2603 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I would go with small weights or resistance bands and a jump rope. I also use my balance ball all the time.

Small weights are not going to assist with weight loss and muscle toning! I suggest lifting minimum of 75-80% of your maximum lifting capacity with any weight training.
  • SDHudgins1976
    Options
    bump
    would love some more opinions
  • JAT74
    JAT74 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    I have a home gym in my garage, it's a 2 car garage so quite long and narrow. I have an elliptical trainer, running machine, rowing machine and a vibrating plate. they were all inexpensive machines priced between 100-300 euros (which is similar to dollars if you are in the US). I also have a multigym machine but hardly ever use it except for when I'm doing cable based exercises. It was a little more expensive and my other half wanted it mainly so he uses it a lot more than me.

I normally use dumbbells, resistence bands, a medicine ball, kettle bells, a skipping rope and a balance ball. I also have various different devices for working your abs although I have no idea what any of them are called! One does your side abs, one is like a chair which you put your feet in and then raise them up and then one you are lying on your back and life you body upright. There is another one which you put your knees on and then swing from side to side. A mat and a bench would also be useful.

All my machines and equipment were bought in local sports shops so made for home use and have lasted for years. I have just started a workout programme which is DVD based and I have a lot of other DVDs I use in the gym too. The one I'm using now is Jillian Michaels Body Revolution which requires only a mat, dumbbells and resistence bands. It's a good idea to get different sized dumbbells or adjustable ones but I've just invested in 3 different sized dumbbells because the workout I'm doing doesn't give me much time between moves to keep changing the weight.

Good luck, it's great having a home gym if a little lonely at times. I usually have the TV on a music channel if I'm on one of the cardio machines.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    I have a Weider Total Bodyworks 5000 machine (it's like a Total Gym, except not as pretentiously priced) - that's the only bit of exercise equipment that I own and it's great. I keep it in my home office, break it out for my workouts, and put it away when I'm done. Combined with cardio, my routine with the Bodyworks burns me around 700 - 800 calories per workout.
  • Scamp01036
    Options
    I would highly recommend a treadmill--I have used one regularly for over 25 years. Also, free weights as mentioned before and I also use ankle weights when doing my leg exercises. Don't forget a good floor mat for doing leg lifts, sit-ups, all floor exercises. A decent flat screen for viewing your favorite shows while working out makes it bearable!
  • yksdoris
    yksdoris Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I don't have a home gym, but if I did, I would have, in order:

(yoga)mat
    adjustable dumbbells or a set of dumbbells.
    ball
    (adjustable) step
    TRX rope
    cardio machine of preference (everyone's different. I can't stand biking but quite like rowing.)

the cardio machine comes last because it's usually the most expensive and *technically* possible to accomplish by just going outside. I don't have any experience with the stretch bands so didn't put them on the list
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    If it were me, I would get a power rack with pull up bar, adjustable bench, olympic bar, weight plates, plate tree, floor padding.
  • JAT74
    JAT74 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Forgot to mention wrist weights! I've got 0.5kg, 1kg and 2.5kg. I wear them sometimes when doing cardio or throughout a workout to make it harder.

I also have sprung mirrors along one whole wall so that I can see what I'm doing when I train because it's important to have good form. My other half had a home gym even when he lived in a 2 bedroom flat! One room was the gym (the bigger room) and the other the bedroom! I would never want to be without one now. It's a lot cheaper than gym membership in the long run and you don't have to share it with a bunch of sweaty strangers or have to feel self-conscious.
  • LeslieC1970
    Options
    I have a Bowflex and it is fabulous. I would recommend. I also have a treadmill and eliptical trainer.
  • jak12345
    jak12345 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    For strength training I would also recommend a Total Gym (like Chuck Norris advertises) or similar type apparatus. I found it very easy on the joints, easy to use and it provides a wide variety of exercises and a good full-body workout. They fold up and can be found "used" at very reasonable prices. It can also be used for cardio using the rowing type motion.

For pure cardio I prefer an exercise bike with arm movements -- great workout, and easy on the knees. Recumbent bikes are also good if you're not used to sitting on a bike seat. Ether is a good lead in to summer time and biking outside.

Prior to getting any major equipment new or used try it out if possible or at least read reviews. If something annoys you about it initially (wobbles, squeaks, etc) think what it will be like after a few hours of exercising on it. Having a couple different pieces of equipment provides variety and doesn't have to be expensive if you buy used.