This, and That!...Please help! Advice?

Options
So basically, I know EVERYONE is different!!! My questions is, I have 2 bad knees (one more so than the other), I constantly hear different things about how everyone has lost weight...and i want to know your stats, and how you lost yours! Basically, I've heard cardio, then weights, or weights then cardio, then weights AND cardio...some I've heard is just dieting because it's 80% of your weight loss success... I really need opinions if you all don't mind....and if any of you want to I guess you could say "diagnose me", then hey go for it!!! I'm open to different opinions!!! so....
I am 5'10", my starting weight was 199, my current weight is 184, and my goal weight is 150.....according to MFP my calorie intake should be 1570, and when i don't exercise i usually eat around 1200 cals, and OF COURSE if i am still hungry i do NOT starve myself but i do eat healthy snacks until i am satisfied....when i can work out i eat more (obviously i try my best to make very healthy choices)....so diagnose away!!! :happy:

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,402 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Everyone isn't different, we all lose the same weight.. calories in less than calories out. Weight training is good for muscle retention. Also, you can get an EPOC effect for this which means you can burn more calories after you workout. Cardio is good for heart health. Both allow you to eat more caloreis which is always good. Also, exercise will allow you to maintain a healthier weight longer.

With bad knees, there are still plenty of exercise you can do.. weight training is one of them or even possibly swimming.
  • BonnieandClyde29
    BonnieandClyde29 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    My chiropractor advised me as far as cardio goes, i can do a stationary bike, elliptical with no resistance, or swimming.... its too cold for swimming right now lol, but i try to ride my bike outside for as long as i can....i just havent been back to the gym yet, as i perfer to be outside...just cant run or "power walk" according to the doc....thank you though :) very helpful
  • jencjeffery
    jencjeffery Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Everyone isn't different, we all lose the same weight.. calories in less than calories out. Weight training is good for muscle retention. Also, you can get an EPOC effect for this which means you can burn more calories after you workout. Cardio is good for heart health. Both allow you to eat more caloreis which is always good. Also, exercise will allow you to maintain a healthier weight longer.

With bad knees, there are still plenty of exercise you can do.. weight training is one of them or even possibly swimming.

Cycling with no or little resistance at the gym is also good for bad knees
  • Silverstar46
    Silverstar46 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Try swimming. It is low-impact and yet burns a lot of calories.
  • Flowers4Julia
    Flowers4Julia Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    sit in a chair and dance! I've known so many fitness pals who have had to start this way.

Also, try eating your TDEE minus 10-20%...this is sooooo much better than MFP's default 1200 calories. this will only lead to a yo-yo diet pattern.

Search for "In place of a road map" here, and use the spreadsheet there.

Good Luck!
  • NZhellkat
    NZhellkat Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    In place walking or marching is what I found helped my knee quite a bit. I didn't have to go anywhere or buy anything to get it done. Just put my shoes on and do it. I ended up naturally progressing from there to weights, jogging, cycling and circuit training.
  • jbruced
    jbruced Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Swimming is easy on the knees but it really drove my hunger and need for food through the roof. After a trip to the pool I just couldn't stop eating. I swam in an indoor heated pool and built up to one mile at a very slow pace.

I have busted knees but I find that walking or backpacking at a slow pace(based on my heart rate) works well for shedding inches by burning fat. This doesn't drive my hunger through the roof.
  • BonnieandClyde29
    Options
    Well from what I've been told and how I've lost my weight before was through "vigorous exercise", I can run, and I have no issues with working out, it's just an old knee injury, so sometimes I don't feel like I'm doing enough or I don't have to the to do it longer...I've been doing trial and error, just trying to figure this thing out, it helps with other opinions and know what has worked for other people...
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Saying you have bad knees is vague, there are numerous different issues in such a complex joint. Get a Flexibar if such a thing is available where you are or try Pilates or a Swiss ball or BoSu.
  • BonnieandClyde29
    Options
    Saying you have bad knees is vague, there are numerous different issues in such a complex joint. Get a Flexibar if such a thing is available where you are or try Pilates or a Swiss ball or BoSu.

My cartledge is wearing thin and i tore my miniscus
  • lee91356
    lee91356 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I started my workouts with swimming. I didnt have a bad knee but I was VERY overweight (about 300lb on a 5"2 frame) and most forms of exercise were too much for me. I got the doctor's ok and went for it. Although I dreaded getting into a bathing suit I found that the benefit of my health out weighed the uncomfortableness of being in a swimsuit. I'm now down nearly 80+ pounds and I still go swimming but not as frequently since I can handle other more intense exercises.

Good luck, the first step is just starting something.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,402 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Well from what I've been told and how I've lost my weight before was through "vigorous exercise", I can run, and I have no issues with working out, it's just an old knee injury, so sometimes I don't feel like I'm doing enough or I don't have to the to do it longer...I've been doing trial and error, just trying to figure this thing out, it helps with other opinions and know what has worked for other people...

You will definitely going to want to weight train. Building up the muscles are critical to recovery. Took me about 6 months to rehab my knee when I tore my MCL. But now that I have done a lot of strengthening, I barely notice the issue.
  • jbruced
    jbruced Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I really don't think it takes vigorous exercise to lose weight. I don't do any "exercise" currently and have lost 13.4 lbs since Jan 1st. I do try to stay busy with yard work, house work and working around on my small acreage tending to the cattle I have. Just enough effort to get warm and a little bit sweaty. In the past I have done hours of vigorous exercise and martial arts training and couldn't lose any weight or even slim down. Hindsight seems to indicate that I was replacing all of the calories burned because my hunger went through the roof. I have found that a much lower level of effort doesn't stimulate my appetite so it is much easier to make sure that calories in are less than calories out(burned).
  • BonnieandClyde29
    Options

You will definitely going to want to weight train. Building up the muscles are critical to recovery. Took me about 6 months to rehab my knee when I tore my MCL. But now that I have done a lot of strengthening, I barely notice the issue.

That's something I want to start doing again!!! Sounds like a plan!!!
  • BonnieandClyde29
    Options
    I really don't think it takes vigorous exercise to lose weight. I don't do any "exercise" currently and have lost 13.4 lbs since Jan 1st. I do try to stay busy with yard work, house work and working around on my small acreage tending to the cattle I have. Just enough effort to get warm and a little bit sweaty. In the past I have done hours of vigorous exercise and martial arts training and couldn't lose any weight or even slim down. Hindsight seems to indicate that I was replacing all of the calories burned because my hunger went through the roof. I have found that a much lower level of effort doesn't stimulate my appetite so it is much easier to make sure that calories in are less than calories out(burned).

Nice loss, and thanks for the advice!!!
  • BonnieandClyde29
    Options
    I started my workouts with swimming. I didnt have a bad knee but I was VERY overweight (about 300lb on a 5"2 frame) and most forms of exercise were too much for me. I got the doctor's ok and went for it. Although I dreaded getting into a bathing suit I found that the benefit of my health out weighed the uncomfortableness of being in a swimsuit. I'm now down nearly 80+ pounds and I still go swimming but not as frequently since I can handle other more intense exercises.

Good luck, the first step is just starting something.

Thank you and great loss!!!
  • terijoestoes
    terijoestoes Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I am 5'10" also and both knees are bad enough that one needs to be replaced. I do water aerobics and recumbent bike. Lots of weights work and calisthenics that don't involve legs. I also use an exercise ball for sit ups. I am starting at 267 and I have lost 5 lbs. This is my second time on here. Don't eat back your exercise calories. Remember every one plateaus and then it is time to adjust protein to carbon ratio. I know it sounds strange but you have to trick your body into letting go of the fat so 1200 might be a little low. Try alternate 1500 and 1200.
  • BonnieandClyde29
    Options
    I am 5'10" also and both knees are bad enough that one needs to be replaced. I do water aerobics and recumbent bike. Lots of weights work and calisthenics that don't involve legs. I also use an exercise ball for sit ups. I am starting at 267 and I have lost 5 lbs. This is my second time on here. Don't eat back your exercise calories. Remember every one plateaus and then it is time to adjust protein to carbon ratio. I know it sounds strange but you have to trick your body into letting go of the fat so 1200 might be a little low. Try alternate 1500 and 1200.

I was thinking that!!!
  • phyllio77
    phyllio77 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I started by tackling my food choices first...then I incorporated excercise.

My theory...if you are still eating junk food and unhealthy choices...is it really worth an hour at the gym?

I agree with what others have said about low impact ideas for your knees. Take one day at a time and stay strong.

Good luck on your journey:)
  • BonnieandClyde29
    Options
    THANKS GUYS!!!