question on calorie goals

Options
My calorie goal is 1220. On days when I do excercise should I be eating all the extra calories earned? I was not sure if it was ok if you don't eat all the earned extra calories or if you really should be eating some or all of them.

Replies

• ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    One, you should eat more than 1220, and YES, eat back your exercise calories. Please do this: go to the search function and search for "in the place of a roadmap"...read it.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    With 20 lbs to lose, you should be aiming for 1/2- 1 lb max. And then should be eating around 50% of your exercise calories.
  • Thanks for such a quick reply!! I will go look at that. I have normally been hitting 1300 anyway but that was still short some of my extra exercise calories. I was confused and wanted to make sure I was not going to sabotage myself by not eating enough!
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Most women I know eat 1700-2100 calories as long as they are active.
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Have a look at the forum topic going on now:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/859495-if-only-i-had-known

It may help you
  • Thanks i found the roadmap thread but its not displaying properly. It appears as if coding is being displayed instead of spaces. Will try again from another computer
  • hannahsageharrison
    Options
    1700-2100 is too much for most women, even active ones, especially ones trying to lose weight.
  • I think I will play with my goals to set daily goal higher. Its interesting that the site gave me 1220 goal with 20 pounds to loose when there is so much informed discussion in forums about staying well above that number to loose. Definitely very glad that I posted and for all your replies!! This is exactly the kind of info/advice I was looking for!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    1700-2100 is too much for most women, even active ones, especially ones trying to lose weight.

I'm 5'4" 130 lbs and not particularly active. My TDEE is 1820, so yeah I can lose weight on 1600 plus exercise calories.
  • psuLemon
    Options

What are you even talking about, it's not too much for most women, I have helped hundreds of people on here and 90% of the women I worked with are eating that. I am not making up those numbers. Maybe you should check out the roadmap and you will be amazed by how many lose with that many calories. I will not most of the women I help are working 5-6 days a week. Most of those days are weight training. BTW, this was during cut phases. During bulk phases, these same woman would eat 2400+ calories.

I would even bet that you could eat around that amount if you are exercising. If you want to test it, let me know. I will set you up.
  • serenapitala
    serenapitala Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Eat them back.
    I'll use myself as an example of the "eat more to weigh less" concept. I weigh 186lbs and started at 240. I lost weight at the lower calorie point, but slowly. Now, I'm averaging 1.93 lb loss a week and I eat around 1700 a day. If I have an inactive or ridiculously active day I eat less or more, but 1700 is around my average.
  • I would love to hear more from those who have lost on the eat more philosophy! it's great to hear those stories. so much different than all the magazines out there that tell women they are doomed if they eat more than 1200 a day!
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options

Really?

I know you are new here but that is a pretty odd statement to make - there are many threads full of women who eat 1800+ and still lose.

However the goal of most of those women isn't just weight loss, it's fat loss and body recomposition, which is a lot different to losing weight as quickly as you can.

here's one - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/836458-i-ve-noticed-women-who-have-high-cal-diets-how?hl=women+1800&page=1#posts-12562294